“Not terrible, but not 4 stars either...”
Review of Hotel Djingis Khan

Hotel Djingis Khan
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Lund
Seattle, Washington
“Not terrible, but not 4 stars either...”
Reviewed 28 September 2011

The good: First let me say the staff is wonderful. The facility, while immaculately CLEAN, is dated.

The breakfast buffet was nice because it is convenient, however the eggs were not cooked prior to being put in the chaffing dish and thus they were typically very runny unless you got there as the pan was near empty and the rest could get hot enough to cook. i only ate dinner there once and it was fine, although not restaurant quality.

The beds were very comfortable, there was plenty of hot water, and the water pressure was great. Heated towel bars in the bathroom.

The bar is spartan but do serve beer, wine and spirits.

The wireless connection was amazing! I video-skype'd daily with my kids in the states and rarely had an issue.

The TV gets 10 or so channels, some are english speaking.

If you took the train to Lund, don't bother with an expensive taxi, just hop the #3 bus. Your train ticket makes the ride free and the bus stop is 15 meters from the front door.

Not as good:
As a previous reviewer stated, the bathroom, upon arrival had a sewer odor. I complained to the desk staff who could not move me to a different room but told me it would be taken care of and I never noticed it again after that day (they fixed it while i was away at work).

Typical aged European hotel: no mechanical ventilation to speak of but the window did open. This didn't help with bathroom odors however.

This place is a brisk 15-20 minute walk to the center of town or a taxi will cost you $15usd for the 5 minute ride.

The 'wardrobe' is very narrow and you only get 3 hangers so plan ahead.

I would make every effort to stay at the Grand, the Lundia, or the Planetstaten if I return. If none of those are available, i would stay here again as i know it would not be terrible.

I stayed in room 215.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Finland
Reviewed 1 September 2011

As others have said previously, this was very nice, quiet and clean hotel but a bit outdated. Service was friendly. Wireless internet was also included in the price. It worked fine, except for voice chat you might need to sit on the comfortable chairs in the hallway to have a good signal.

The hotel is located in a quiet residential area; maybe about 2 km / 20 min walk from the city center with bus stop for bus number 5 just in front of the hotel (max 5 min from city center by bus). The whole area is safe so it is okay to walk there in the evenings, but just around the hotel there is nothing to see.

Dinner was included in the price and it was very basic Scandinavian style buffet with about two options like cabbage casserole and mushroom soup. It was okay at least for Scandinavians but nothing special.

There was nothing wrong with the hotel with easy access to the city center by bus and free dinner and breakfast. But in the future I might prefer a hotel in the center.. At least if visiting the southern areas of the university. The Lund city center was very nice and small with some good looking restaurants. Almost all stores closed at 7 pm but with the train station in the center, you could easily visit Malmö or Copenhagen.

(If you take a taxi in Lund, be sure to check the rates beforehand since they might overcharge you.)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 17 September 2010

I really enjoyed my stay at Djingis Khan, friendly staff, tidy rooms etc. The rooms are not very new in their styling (so if you're expecting top modern there are probably better places) but kept very well. Don't know if it was a time limited offer but at the moment they offered a complementary dinner buffet, probably not enough if you're seriously hungry but for me it was good enough when I arrived in the evening. I got a feeling that the hotel was like hotels were some 15 years ago (and apart from the somewhat elderly interior this is a very good thing), when the staff really cared about the service and you did get all the assecories you need (it was a long time since I saew such a well kitted bathroom) etc.

The location is ok, if you're a vistor to the university (in particular LTH) it's convenient, slightly depending on which part of the campus you're visisting. To the city center it was a bit longer, but still walking distance (at least with Swedish measures)

Since it was a business trip I'm not quite sure what the cost is but if it's reasoably priced I would consider staying there on a pleasure trip in the future.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Given the general price of things in Sweden, the Djingis Khan was great value for money. The evening dinner wasn't fancy, but was tasty. Breakfast was nice. Water pressure in the shower was good, and the bed was very comfy. The free wifi didn't seem to work, but there are some (very old) computers outside the dining room. Staff very very friendly and helpful. The location is the only issue, unless you want to be 20 minutes walk from the centre of this small town,

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Azores
Reviewed 20 September 2009

I’m going to burn in hell for this review…
I cannot say enough good things about the staff of this hotel. I stayed there for three nights, last week, while attending a conference in Lund; I’ve never felt more welcome in any place I’ve been. They are courteous, professional and friendly. The guy that runs the restaurant/bar is brilliant and he cooked me one of the best meals I’ve had in a long time (for those of you who like Italian/Mediterranean). The people responsible for cleaning are impeccable and my room could not have been cleaner if I’d done it myself.
And the burn in hell part: this must have been the worst hotel I’ve been to (I’m sorry). This is supposed to be a 4* but would have a tough time getting a 3* rating in Portugal. From the time I spotted the entrance and the reception to the time I entered my room I knew I was in trouble (I’m really sorry). Someone said that it was decorated Victorian-style; well, there are certain elements that will point you that way, but for the most part, it doesn’t look antique; it looks old (and there’s a big difference). The room was small and so was the bed (the wardrobe, or whatever you want to call that thing, was simply miniscule; it fitted two suits and three shirts just barely). The bathroom didn’t have a tub, just a shower that looked like the one my grandmother had (I’m really, really sorry).
Bottom line: would I stay at this hotel again? No, but I would at least have dinner there. Would I recommend it? It depends on what you value most: the furniture and the paint on the walls or the people working there (for vacations, the latter seems to me very important).
I would be delighted if they were to upgrade that place; there’s no way they could upgrade the people. A big thanks to them all (and, I’m so sorry).
Paulo.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank pcarreiro
Stenlose
Reviewed 8 March 2008

I have stayed at this hotel twice for a total of three nights. The hotel is a bit hard to find - even the second time I was there. The instructions on their website are not optimal. Bring a good map or ask for a detailed, free map of Lund at a local gas station. Fast check in, clean room. The hotel is in a quiet residential area - you can sleep with the windows open. On weekday nights they offer good food in the evening for residents at about 175 SEK. Nice lounge with free fruit, coffee, etc. Stable high-speed internet, which is free. Great breakfast. I will stay there again.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Danishtraveller1
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 April 2006

I found this hotel to be charming and its management accommodating. I have stayed at the Djingis Khan 3 times and have been more than satisfied each time. The last trip I had 12 senior nursing students with me at this hotel and everyone rated the accommodations as excellent. I am taking another group of students there next month (5/06)

• Stayed May 2003, travelled on business