All reviews bunk beds barbara hutton top deck gamla stan floating hotel old town top bunk rooms are small unusual hotel water temperature excellent location wet room minute walk central station a great place to stay royal palace quiet area
Reviewed October 10, 2017

Booked direct with Hotel and got a better deal than comparison sites, 10 minute walk from central station. Location is good, very quiet. Room (Captains) was very good though getting to the lower deck with a case was a challenge. Breakfast on first morning was chaotic, a shortage of staff but quality and morning thereafter were good. I would choose to stay again as it really worked for us.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed October 7, 2017

Ideal for city sightseeing and the food is very good - nice breakfast selection with a huge choice of hot or cold food. Evening meals are delicious especially the traditional Swedish meatballs dish. The accommodation is small as anticipated, but clean, warm and comfortable. But, there is a smell throughout the vessel in the reception area and corridors but not in the rooms - bad drains as i don't think it is as a result of the lake water. The other issue for me is that the restaurant on board is closed on Sundays and Mondays and was on another day for a private party. So perhaps its not a hotel in the proper sense as it has an occasional restaurant. Location is its main asset along with the price. I would stay again if they sorted those drains out.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2017

I love this quirky place to stay, anchored off the knight's island of Riddarholmen. Its my best kept secret so not sure I should tell all. It's Barbara Hutton's yacht long ago left behind amidst the watery splendour of Stockholm, with views of ripples, ducks, gulls and the fairytale skylines with domes and spires. Mahogany and copper give a sense of quality and nautical charm, even if scuffed here and there due to noble age. Rooms are small (after all they are cabins) but the Owners Cabin and the Captains Cabin are hotel room size, while the cabins with seaview give that wonderful sight over the expanses of water, and feel much bigger than they are, Now I will willingly tell you the faults, but should stress that the staff handled my complaints so well that they won this good review. They were perfect! Totally boutique hotel style caring. First complaint was that there had been a lot of rain so my lovely seaview cabin somehow got dumped with water - and just as I planned to sleep I found what seemed like a bucket full of water on the mattress. The charming man at reception immediately upgraded me to Captains Cabin - a spacious room with sofa/extra bed and a copper and mahogany table bolted down in true nautical fashion along with two desks. Now I got into a dry bed with puffy white duvets, smooth sheets and pillows. But in this room there is a problem ... it is next to the generator and I did not sleep well. Also it was opposite the sauna and people were closing the door with a pang for hours.
Having said that, I will still go back. I have been here before and last time in the Owners Cabin there was no noise at all, and we had a great meal in the restaurant,, drank beers on the deck with the gorgeous view of water and spires, and enjoyed breakfast. So next time I will make sure I ask for a quiet room.

Room Tip: Not on the lower floor near the sauna due to noise from generator.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed October 3, 2017 via mobile

We were really looking forward to our stay on this famous yacht but it was not the special experience we had hoped for.
We arrived early evening and were looking forward to sitting on deck and watching the sun set.
We were met by a very grumpy young man who made it obvious that we were nothing but an irritation. He certainly didn't feel it was his job to try to make our stay a pleasant experience! When I asked where the bar was I was told it was upstairs but shut on a Sunday. There was no invitation to explore the boat or to use the sauna facilities. In fact when we decided to explore ourselves all the accesses to the decks were locked which made for a very quick tour!
We ended up having a glass of very mediocre wine in the entrance hall with Mr Grumpy playing on his phone. Not the start to the evening we had envisaged.
There is so much history on this boat and a little enthusiasm from the crew would, I'm sure,have made it a lovely experience. As it was we spent a night in bunk beds for no good reason. Such a shame.
Breakfast was passable but nothing to write home about. All in all a very disappointing stay.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2017

This boatel was perfect for our 2 night stay in Stockholm. We arrived into Stockholm on the train into the central station and were able to walk to the hotel in 15 minutes. The Gamla Stan metro line is less than 5 minutes away and all of old town of Stockholm is within a very short walk.

We had a room with a bunk-bed, ensuite and a view out over the water. The room is very small, so if you have large luggage or are expecting to spend a lot of time in your room, then you might be disappointed. The ensuite had been refurbished fairly recently, as it was very clean and modern. The shower was hot and powerful.

The breakfast was fairly standard continental breakfast. Scrambled eggs, bacon, bread porridge, cheese etc. Nothing you're going to get particularly excited about, but plenty of choice and they seemed good at re-stocking.

We slept well but a couple of minor things did irritate us. One is that the toilet flush is extremely loud and anti-social if used late at night which unfortunately our neighbours did. The floor boards in the rooms are also very squeaky and such is the thinness of the walls, you can hear your neighbours every single move. And our final complaint would be suffering the cigarette smoke filling our room – I presume from other passengers smoking out of their window and it promptly blowing in through ours. I'm not sure there is anything the hotel can really do about these irritations and to a point you get what you pay for as this hotel was much cheaper than other options located so centrally.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple