“A piece of heaven on earth”
Review of Kamalaya Koh Samui

Kamalaya Koh Samui
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Laem Set
Toronto
“A piece of heaven on earth”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

The resort is built along the hillside down to the beach among the nature vegetation, it is very peaceful,and relaxing. The resort tried to meet all your needs. Excellent spa ,helpful information for your physical and mental health, great classes for tai chi, yoga, and a lot of other classes. You can detox, relax, loss some weight or just have a good time here. You do not have to think about anything, just go to the restaurant and everything is coded. Detox or regular, you just make your choice. Food is amazing for something that is so healthy for you. You can be a vegetarian or meat lover. If you are looking for wild night life ,and a lot of partying this is not the place for you. And again if you want to get out of the rat race and try to find yourself , this will be a good start.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank mermaid719

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 7 October 2011

It is a great place if you're looking to recalibrate, get-away from stress and hectic urban life while also wanting to "invest" in your body & heath. So if you're looking to stay in a luxe resort, this is probably not exactly what you're looking for. Kamalaya is an unique sanctuary in that they offer all sorts of well-being & health-improvement programs and have practitioners from all the world that specialize in rolfing, qigong, TCM, healing, stress mgmt, etc. I went for the yoga program which was expensive and would not recommend it for intermediate or advanced level yogis. But still I had a good time taking other classes and learning new things. The massages (comp with the yoga programme) were fab and the beach coast is quite amazing. They have excellent food and I was amazed at the diversity of vegetarian dishes their chef was able to concoct. One thing to note, there is no TV so you are really detached from civilization. I left Kamalaya definitely feeling "new" and re-energized and would highly recommend it to those who are looking for peace and quiet and can appreciate being alone and living in the "now."

Room Tip: Try to the rooms atop the hill (across the reception). Great view of ocean!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 9 September 2011

I initially stayed here on my own in Dec 2010 and I looked so healthy on my return and so energised that my husband was curious. We decided to go there with our daughter for a healthy retreat for a week. We stayed in the two bedroom rock villa which is really spacious and ideal if you are travelling with family. I took the package for the three of us - I probably would have gone al-a-carte if I was going on my own again because I recall the treatments I liked previously, but decided that it would be a good idea if we all did the same program so we all were on "healthy lifestyle". Day one was hard for my husband and daughter saying - "what no alcohol!" and seeing all this incredibly healthy food. Within a day they were both onboard and really started enjoying the experience. They were surprised how quickly the day filled up with yoga, personal training in the gym, treatments and nutrition advice and it was a strange holiday in a sense as you are all so busy during the day it is like you are on an individual holiday with your individual thoughts, but then you get to regroup in the evening and share your experiences - so the best of both worlds actually - time to reconnect with yourself, but also having family to share it with. I had some transformations shifts with homeopathy which helped me shift a cough that has been lingering for a long time and also a session with a rolfing expert (a visiting practitioner) which resulted in no back or knee pain for many years and I want to follow Ferran around the world (he is based in Barcelona). The consultants are second to none, the environment is relaxing and it is an amazing place to recharge. Are the rooms the best I have ever stayed in - absolutely not....but you are not actually there for the villa, you are there to invest some time in yourself. At the end of the trip there were quite a few kilos lost, a lot of stress left behind and we all felt ready to take on the working world again. Holidays are about the experience and I think Kamalaya gets the experience just right and the service is really good.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Ionise
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Spent three days here as a wind down. Did the job perfectly. Food and spa are excellent. Being built on a hill, you certainly get your share of exercise walking up and down to the beach. i had a hillside suite but on reflection think would have preferred one of the villas. Occasionally felt that the service was a bit slow and that they were little understaffed. Would happily return though.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank PKFlanders
New York City
Reviewed 26 August 2011

......then this is your place! Very good service and the massages at the "wellness center" were excellent, but it wasn't a perfect fit for me. I should have been in a 5 star hotel elsewhere on the island......felt quite isolated (many people come and never leave the property which is just not me) in the SE corner of the island. Plus very steep hill to get to beach made it a chore to get from your room to beach. I didn't do the detox so could eat what I liked from the menu which was all healthy and very good........but on reflection all I needed was a high end hotel with a great spa, not all the extra "crunchy" stuff too. .

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank redbritgirl
London
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I went on a weight loss and spa holiday with luxury in mind and booked myself in to the 1 bedroom ocean front suite with pool. On day one found out that 95% of what I had to do as part of my package was located at the top of a huge hill... I really thought I'd never be able to do it and huffed and puffed like I was 90yrs old. On day 1 the GM walked by and asked me how it was going and I could barely speak. The whole layout of the hotel is stunning, with views that I could sit and look at for hours and hours. I had medical analysis, healing, infra-red sauna, acupuncture, massages, personal training, yoga, beauty treatments etc etc - so I was busy. They also try to sell you other treatments and my bill went up quite a lot so I’d warn to be careful of this. Loved everyone = every single person who works here just the best people I met working in any hotel/spa. There are so many things to say, so many things to recommend, the food, the treatments - everything. Only disappointment is the pool, it's small but you don't care because the beach is glorious and really no time for lounging around. By day 5 I was walking up the hill and saw again the GM and he was asking how I was liking it and I said... yeah it's great but dreading that hill and he said "what the one behind you?" and as I turned around to look realised I hadn’t even noticed it, embarrassingly it looked so tiny I wondered why I'd ever found it hard to climb! Honestly, staying here for the 12 nights changed me completely. It made me look 10-15yrs younger, feel fitter, happier, content, healthy etc etc etc. I want to go back every year. I heard people complaining that it's not the Chiva Som or Six Senses Destination, and I guess it's not but they are not aiming at spoiling you they are aiming at healing you and believe it works. I was alone and I'd have liked a tv/dvd in my room but it's a retreat for relaxation and not their policy but I found the nights a bit slow. I also found the bed so damn hard but on my last day found out that they will give you mattress covers. Bathrooms are lovely and mine had part of the bathroom built into the rockface, really unique and you feel like you are having a shower in the jungle. Lots of classes to do and the view from the pavilion is stunning. I was a bit grumpy about lack of luxury but on reflection the positive changes the entire experience made to my life, has made me realise how lucky I was to stay here... in fact I went to the Four Seasons afterwards for 8 days and that was a HUGE mistake! It is a beautiful beautiful spot and it fills your soul with such contentment that stayed with me a long long time after I left.

Room Tip: I wouldn't worry about booking the suite, because you are rarely in your room.
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
8 Thank tani267
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Fantastic resort, super food, kind people. I did the Detox and it was great.
I lost 2 kilo's in two weeks, but Detox is not to lose wight, but I was happy with the results.
Detox is an easy way here to clean your body.
I was very happy that Ferran Moreno was there, he did the rolfing methode for my back, it was great. The whole staff was very kind and helpfull, when I was on the beach to bring me back with the buggy, was no problem at all.
I certainly want to go there again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3.3 km away
Sandalwood Luxury Villas
15.6 km away
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort

Been to Kamalaya Koh Samui? Share your experiences!