“Not at all what I espected”

Clarion Collection Hotel Drott
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Karlstad
Reviewed 29 January 2012

As a “time-to-time” visitor to Karlstad (due to my job), I’ve earlier stayed at four other hotels in this city. This time (end January 2012), I gave Clarion Collection Hotel Drott a try. I shouldn’t have done that.
My reason for trying the hotel was partly due the central location of it - partly because of the hotels homepage which gives a very positive impression of a modern and customer friendly establishment.
However, I was very disappointed:
* From my car, in very good time ahead of my arrival, I several times phoned the hotel to ask them about suggestions where to park my car. Nobody answered the phone (however, I was connected to an answering machine which said that they were busy at the moment….I could also leave a message, however, I preferred to try calling back). When arriving to the hotel, I mentioned this. The answer I got, was that the receptionist was alone at work, and that she didn’t like to interrupt her conservations with the customers in front of her. (Before entering the hotel, I had found a parking house right across the street from the hotel. Cost to be paid in the parking meter at the parking deck: SEK 140:- for the night, i.e. approx Euro 15:- = USD 19,50).
* The presentation of the hotel at their homepage gives the impression is that the hotel is trendy and modern…that is not the case. The hotel, the elevator, part of the interior is old and not very updated.
* Just behind the front desk, there is a nice bar belonging to the hotel. There were a lot of people gathered due to After-Work (this was a Friday, and the clock around 5:45 pm). The receptionist did not inform me, as a new guest, about this - which says a lot of the hotels lack of customer friendliness. Off course, it would have been a nice gesture when newly arrived guests are informed and welcomed to “the party”.
* The hotel is located very centrally in Karlstad, which is good….and maybe not always very good ;-) On the other side of the street (a rather heavy trafficked avenue), is the railway station. I am sure that the noise from the cars, and not at least from the trains, can be very disturbing. However, I was lucky enough to get my room situated into a quiet court yard 
* The bulb in the lamp at the desk in my room was out of order. Quite annoying, as I was doing some paper- and computer work. (I then left the room and did not come back until midnight).
* When I was having my shower the next morning, the floor in the cabin was filled by water! And it didn’t disappear. The sewage was totally obstructed! When opening the door to the shower cabin (as I didn’t want to stay there), the whole bathroom floor was over flood by water. (I am sure that the hotel knew about this problem….as there was a robust “floor scraper” in the bathroom.
* When having my breakfast, I was using the coffee machine to get a Cappuccino. Not good, not warm, not drinkable! I enjoyed a cup of real coffee instead, not a big problem.
* And one last thing: When leaving the hotel Saturday morning at around 08:15 am, I asked the receptionist if the entrance door and elevator up to the parking house at the opposite side of the street would be open that early (as the shopping center was opening at 10:00 am). She believed it would. But it appeared not to be! I then had to walk a couple of hundred meters around the block, entering the parking house from the other side. (Off course, as responsible for the guest relations at the front desk at that time, she should have been informed about the opening hours to the parking house!)
Rather good about the hotel:
* The bed (madras).
* The breakfast (except from the coffee machine).

I will never stay here again. I rather stick to two other hotels in Karlstad which are good and reliable in every aspect: The Clarion Collection Hotel Bilan and the Elite Stadshotellet.

Room Tip: Do avoid rooms situated in the direction of the railway station
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Homevalley55

Reviewed 5 January 2012

Had planned to stay one night while passing thru Karlstad on a roadtrip, but after seeing the room and getting a great reception from the wonderful staff I decided to extend my stay by another night.

The hotel is old, but nicely renovated with all modern amenities and wonderful tall ceilings. The location could not be better, next to the train station for those who arrive by rail, plentiful parking across the street and within easy walking distance of attractions and just around the corner from downtown with lots of shopping and restaurants.

The free wireless internet and very nice free dinner buffet included in the price made this one of the highlights of my trip. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 July 2011

As a norwegian I got a price over what was on the net. The hotel is situated by the train station. Trains do make noice. Between the station and the hotel there is a main road and there is a buss park in front of the station also. If you don't need to sleep I guess it's all right. I need the sleep and will never come back.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Earthwally
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Friendly staff,nice hotel,good breakfast,easy parking just across the street.
The hotel was in the hart of Karlstad,about 5 minutes walking to shopping,to a quiet park,railwaystation nearby.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2011

The hotel is right across from the railway station and next to a shopping mall. My room was comfy, clean and quite spacious. The hotel in general has a nice atmosphere and the staff was very friendly.
I found the hotel very good value for the money as there was a free dinner buffet with everything from waffles to pickled herring and chocolate cake
There was a kettle in my room as well as a small library with books in Swedish and Norwegian. That was a nice touch. Free wifi available as well.
I loved that there was plenty of breakfast items available really early in the morning as I had to catch a train at 6 am. .

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 October 2010

This hotel is very good value for the money since a very good dinner buffet is included in the price of the room. The hotel is close to the railway station and its only a short walk to the city with shops and restaurants. The hotel offers a bar with a nice atmosphere that also seemed to be well frequented by locals. Rooms are standard size with a flat screen television. There is an electric water boiler in the room so you can make your own coffee or tea. The bathroom had a shower no bathtub. Breakfast was plentiful as a buffet and also served in the room with the glass roof connected to the bar as was the dinner. Wifi internet was available in all rooms for free.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Swedish_Traveller
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Stayed one night at drott hotell in karlstad. very nice staff and the evening dinner buffe that whas includes in the price was perfect. after dinner we joined the bubbelpool at top floor, very nice spa-area. the room was calm and the beds very comfi.the hotell is central located in karlstad but still very calm and relaxing. lovely weekend. thanks!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple