Open today: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Review Highlights

from US$45.20
from US$27.10
from US$39.00
More Info
All reviews viking ship modern times prehistoric times stone age music section beautiful old building recent history pre history permanent exhibits nineteenth century on display interactive parts swedish culture top floor worth a stop interesting history admission fee
Reviewed 4 days ago

We were just looking for something to do on a rainy day and I'm glad we came here. The information about the birth and development of Gothenburg put a lot of local sights into context and we found ourselves referring back to things we'd learned throughout our explorations of the city. The only criticism is that the English texts on the exhibits is very difficult to read, as it's in light text on a transparent background. I recommend saving the map you're given at the entrance and holding up the blank side behind the text to make it legible. Loved the "mystery of the silver heart"! And it's got a great Viking exhibit - including a ship!

Reviewed 6 days ago

The viking history has a path explaining viking history with exhibits belonging to the story. The greatest exhibit is the remains of a viking ship. The viking history is explained in two storeys. The history of Gothenburg is explained in 4 halls, also having a path to follow.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

One interesting exhibition about the origins of the city, but the rest is just a mess. It's hard to find your way through the museum, some exhibitions are missing whatsoever even though they are on the map. A long way to go if they aim to be a modern museum. Free entry for anyone under 25.

Reviewed September 12, 2018

Nice clean and clear exhibits which begin in the Viking Era and take you upstairs though to the Nineteenth Century. Exhibits are detailed and interesting, with descriptions in both Swedish and English. Only reasons for no full marks is that some of the description boards looked a bit tired and were beginning to dog-ear, and a few of the headphones for audio were broken. All up a really nice way to spend a morning in Gothenburg to say out of the rain!

Reviewed August 29, 2018

I particularly enjoyed the exhibition about Vikings and the 'Viking Age' the museum had, which included remains of the largest extant Viking ship on display in Sweden. That was fascinating.

I was intrigued to learn a bit more about the history of Gothenburg as a city, although the exhibitions ranging from Gothenburg's formation in the 1600s to its developments through the 1700s was a bit too detailed for me to retain much focus - I imagine a local trying to learn more about their hometown would be far more interested, though. It was in general a well presented exhibition. I did really enjoy learning about the medieval town Nya Lödöse, a precursor of Gothenburg.

I also liked the exhibition about the prehistoric and early historic origins of the area around modern-day Gothenburg, ranging from 11,000 years to 1,000 years ago, though the amount of information compared to the amount of cool artefacts was a bit heavy for me. I say this as someone who LOVES reading museum signs (perhaps a bit too much, since it often distracts me from the actual artefacts, as was sometimes the case here). Also, the translations into English were sometimes a bit off, but not often truly difficult to understand.

Reviewed August 18, 2018 via mobile

The main exposition in this museum gives a very nice overview of the history of the region, from the Stone Ages to modern times (so yes, the Vikings are included). The setup is attractive, though a bit dark, and especially the display boards with English text are a bit hard to read. The most impressive item are the remains of a 16 meter tall Viking ship.

Reviewed August 12, 2018

It's huge. And I mean Jupiter-like where-is-my-mommy huge. Usually one needs an hour or so to browse through a museum, but three hours were barely enough. The entrance fee is 40 SEK, but it's valid for 4 other museums, which is more than a bargain. You can get like 0.1 L of beer in cafes for that price, so I've decided to spare that few drops to immerse myself into Swedish culture. How noble of me!

Every part of the exhibition features one period of the town's history, including national history as well - Proto-Germanic and Viking one. There's also a modern part which includes Gothenburg's music scene from 20th century onward, and you can play the piano and the drums. Unfortunately for me, and fortunately for other visitors, you can hear yourself only on headphones. And what a concert I had! I hope someone had recorded it for the future generations.

The staff is nice and friendly, nobody is hovering around, and everybody seems to speak at least a couple of languages, I mean, I haven't tried Ancient Egyptian, but I'm sure they would have had some papyrus available for communication as well.

It's also a nice shelter from the omnipresent eternal rain, which symbolizes Germanic deities crying over the price of beer in Sweden. Visit it, it's a must.

Reviewed August 1, 2018 via mobile

Really great info. About history of this wonderful city ,with added bonus of incredibly moving we have a dream photo exhibit .Can easily spend 2 hours there, kids are free and adults only 7 dollars , so you can't go wrong. Also very nice building and easy walk from train station area where our hotel Radisson Blue located.

Reviewed July 23, 2018

This is the best museum ever !
It is easy to find, along the canal, close to the harbor, in a beautiful old building.
Spend your time wisely, you might get carried away............
If you like museums, get the Göteborg museum card for a small cost, and visit many of the famous museums for less......valid for the year, includes the Art museum, Maritime museum, and the soon to re-open, Röhsska museum............and, of course, Göteborgs Stadsmuseum (City Museum) !

Reviewed June 24, 2018 via mobile

We’ve been a number of times with kids ages now ranging from 0-8 and we always enjoy it, especially when raining! The kids area doesn’t have a lot but there is space to move around. My kids also just enjoy exploring the museum because the exhibits change so there are new things to see and do. The cafe is not fancy, but it’s spacious and is decent for a drink & cake and the soup with buffet was good too.
I think this museum can be overlooked we definitely recommend it especially when you need somewhere indoors to go.