“wonderful experience”

Aegialis Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aegiali
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I have stayed in this hotel with my friend for 3 weeks this summer and have exceptionally good impression. First of all it lies in a beautiful place and there are fantastic views from rooms, restaurant and spa – from every place in this hotel. And area around it is full of flowers like paradise. No one was indifferent to such beauty. I needed such views after sad and dirty landscapes of big city. Second, their service was much more than only service. I mean, that people working there were not only of high professional level but they were so friendly and tried to be helpful for the guests that I felt myself wonderfully, as that being guest at my aunt. I admire those persons, especially Mrs Irene, because they were very busy all the day long with many guests, but they always had a smile for people. I had been in some other places in Greece previously and know that it is not a norm in Greek hotels, although Greeks are much more joyful than other nations. I made a reservation in advance and asked for a quiet room, not close to restaurant or other noisy places, they promised, but I was not quite sure if they would remember my request. So I was pleasantly surprised that they really had such room for us. Everything was excellent in the room, it was clean, air-conditioning, with fresh smelling, with comfortable beds, fresh bedclothes which was soft to the touch, with safe and refrigerator, even with flowers at the table, and the bathroom was clean and dry (I hate wet bathrooms). I like Greek traditional food they serving in the restaurant, and their breakfast was very healthy, especially Greek yogurt – it was delicious! And we have very relaxing time in spa and on the nearly beach.
It was my friend who recommend me to go to this place as she was here few years ago and said she had promised herself to comeback to this hotel again. I trusted friend's opinion and was not disappointed. And now, when this fantastic vacations are in the past I also promise myself to come back to Aegialis Hotel, maybe in autumn or in spring in order to see that place also in other colors.

1  Thank Lusy Z

Reviewed 25 September 2011

When you arrive at 2 in the morning you don't expect that when you wake up.
From the Exclusive Room first, you have a superb view on the bay ; this is just amazing. You can stay on the terrace for hours.
The swimming pool with sea water is very nice to swim in and to relax ; service there is very friendly and we enjoyed it a lot.
Breakfast is good and you really have the choice of what you want to have. Orange juice however could really be better.
We had dinner twice, one on a special "BBQ" evening (too much food on the plate !!) and another time more fancy, and liked it, even though this is not the best food we had in Amorgos. You can try small restaurants in villages around if you wish to eat more traditional (like Kamara Café in Potamos - worth going there for the sunset and nice food).
The spa is amazing, you should really have a try, we enjoyed having a tea with the sunset on the terrace upthere. I enjoyed the hot stone massage a lot !!
What we appreciated most about our stay in Aegialis was the kindness of the staff and the situation of the hotel. Don't expect a luxury top-class hotel, but a very very nice hotel with very very nice staff !

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marinoum
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Me and my family were looking for a nice place to relax, rest and enjoy time off after a very difficult year. We found it at the Aegialis Hotel and we found even more. The staff was always nice and courteous. The perfect balance of attention without being pushy. The rooms were very nice, the views from the rooms and from the restaurant are simply awesome with the Sunset right in front of you in late August. The access to the Spa (Sauna and Hammam), the indoor pool and the fitness room for free for the Hotel residents is a wonderful perk.
After several days, we felt more than customers with the owners and staff. We actually became friends and Irene (the CEO) is a wonderful host. I look forward to going back again to the Aegialis Hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a "Modern" room instead of a "Traditional" one.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank pcalit
Reviewed 8 September 2011

when we took a shower the water was not running away so we had to be fast otherwise it would overflood, it is also not very hygienic. The AC was hardly working, you could only switch it on with a ballpoint, but not always possible and took sometimes some minutes. When the AC worked there was a pool of water down! the fridge was rusted from the inside. Staff told us every time that they would work on it, the first day they told us that someone would come at 11am but nobody after waiting an hour and requesting, second day same story, then we complained at one of the managers (he came from Athens), he seemed to be friendly and seriously understanding but again nothing happened that day!!! Just when we left after some days I talked to the manager again by coincidence and he told us that they could not do anything because a boat just arrived: this is absolutely unbelievable for a hotel which presents itsself much better.
There are more people with bad reviews, also with good reviews so probably it depends to the person or room or ?????
I advise nobody ever to stay in this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
18  Thank paul1051
Reviewed 3 September 2011

I am Greek and have spent every summer for the past 30 years on the island. Amorgos is amazing and definitely worthwhile. This hotel is certainly not. We called mgmt twice before arrival to confirm that our booking was for a space with two separate living areas. Upon arrival at 2am, we were asked to sign-in (w/ small print indicating that cancellations were subject to a charge = 50% of the reserved period...in our case, 50% of one week) before being shown to our room. The room was not what we expected: a small, single room into which three beds were crammed. Apparently, this was also an 'upgrade' (shudder to think what the 'standard' room would have looked like). We immediately expressed our displeasure but were met with resistance and demands for payment for half of the week that we had reserved. Within 15 minutes, we found a FAR superior two-room location just outside the port at Agios Pavlos (hotel Aqua Petra). Not only was the room far cheaper (EUR120 v. EUR165 at Aegialis!). Additionally, it was practically brand new, very clean, excellent taverna next door and a beach at your doorstep. In short, Aegialis = Greek accomodation of the past in a site that requires massive refurbishment and management who actually have their guests' interests at heart. Save yourself a headache and some cash...book somewhere else!!!

11  Thank cgc73
Management response:Responded 10 September 2011

As the Manager of Aegialis Hotel & Spa, I have to answer to the commends of this reviewer, as things are presented in an intentionally misleading manner, and additionally not presenting the whole story.

They were three young men who had booked a triple standard room and by chance the reservation was made by me personally. When they arrived, they said they were expecting a two room apartment. The only two room units we have, are the Family Suite, the Honeymoon Suite and the Business Suite. They definitely had not booked one of them, otherwise, the price would have been different.

In spite of this, since they were three adult men, and as we had availability, we offered them a big superior quadruple room, which has one double bed, and two single, with a big private veranda (the price for that period was 285Euro) at no extra charge. They were still not pleased, insisting on a two room unit. At that point, the manager on shift personally offered them a second room at no extra charge, in order to satisfy their initial demand. Even at this point they wanted to leave. Finally they left without paying the cancellation fees.

In our check in form, there is a note with big bold letters, at the center of the page, reminding the cancelation policy, which says that if someone departs earlier than what has been reserved, 50% of the unused period has to be paid.

As the guest is comparing prices with another accommodation, I would like to point out that there is no comparison as he is not describing two equal or similar hotels neither services. Aegialis hotel and spa, in order to ensure best services, has a ratio of employee to client 1:3, services on a 24hour basis and a territory of 20000sq.m gardens. A Spa, state of the art, with a great variety of services free of charge, a full crew of therapists, trainers and fantastic views from each point, all at the disposal of our guests.

The only thing I can further say, is that it is disappointing to come up with such kind of behavior, as this specific review is another example of a case of an individual taking advantage of the free right of expression to harm a company and mislead the travel community in order to satisfy its personal ego.

This year we celebrate our 20th anniversary of Aegialis hospitality, always in tune with the guest needs and nothing but having our “guest’s interest at heart. ”

Come to see for your self’s!

Reviewed 29 August 2011

Since the first time we set foot at the Aegialis hotel, a decade ago, it has remained our most cherished holiday destination. Since then, the facilities have improved to a wonderful standard, the newly renovated rooms are beautiful and super comfortable and all have amazing balconies and stunning views of the bay and the ocean. The food at the restaurant is wonderful and the breakfast varied and completely satisfying.The staff, all the way from the cleaners to the bartenders, to the waiters and the cook are all very professional and do a great job. The owners of this family run hotel spread their warmth and charm, making every guest feel special and at home.

The spa is a beautiful sanctuary and for those who are keen on exerise, there is a fully equipped gym with the most gorgeous views of the bay. Should one tire of the crystalline sea, the wonderful salt-water infinity pool provides a nice alternative to the beach.

There were two weddings held at the hotel during our stay, quite beautifully arranged, and managed in such a way that we were not in the least disturbed. Most of the accomodation is away from the pool and in any case it was fun to see the traditional dances and music.

Amorgos Island is, quite simply a magical place with a special energy, and you will not regret a visit to this very special island and this spectacular hotel. On our family, it has a magnetic draw, and I know that we will keep returning for the rest of our lives.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Sahar S
Reviewed 23 August 2011

I loved my room! Comfy bed, lots of amenities and a balcony with a spectacular view to the BIG BLUE! Fortunately my dog had the time of her life too!!! Staff was very helpful and understanding, service wasn't too quick though. We had a great time by the pool, enjoyed the free aqua aerobic lessons and the huge delicious pizzas and the fries with local cheese. The spa offered a very relaxing experience. Would recommend for family and friends vacation as the hotel and the island offer a very relaxing and family atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aegiali
1.2 km away
2 km away
Lakki Village
Lakki Village
#5 of 8 in Aegiali

Been to Aegialis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!