“Open drain, room stank” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Helsinki
uk
“Open drain, room stank”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

We stayed plenty of places in Scandinavia during our trip of similar price to this place. I was convinced by some of the management comments on here and website pictures that this place was on the turn for the better. The location is good but the girl at reception put us into a room on floor five which was smelly in the extreme. The drain in the dimly lit bathroom stank and made the bathroom a no go area. Upon returning from a days sightseeing we asked to be changed. The polite young man on reception said he would have been happy to oblige but there was now no free rooms. He agreed that the room stank. I look forward to hearing the management response on this... I'd say don't be conned by the 'we are in the process of changing it' line as this seems to have been the excuse on here for months now. Helsinki itself is the least interesting of the Baltic capitals we visited. Yes the room is well sized, but only good for those with an interest in staying in a circa 1985 bedroom

• Stayed October 2011
4 Thank indogeorg
HotelFinn, Owner at Hotelli Finn, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
First of all, I am terribly sorry about you enduring such an experience.

We have only recently received multiple complaints about the drainage in the fifth floor. All the non-ensuite rooms in that floor have been put out of sale and are going to be renovated during october, after which we move to the ensuite ones.

As to the management responses posted earlier. Currently we have finalized the renovations on all the triple rooms and quadruple rooms (or L and XL) and also on six ensuite double rooms, so generally half of the hotels rooms are now finished. We are renovating the rooms at a highest possible pace (it is hard not to bother customers if a high amount of rooms are being renovated at the same time) so changes definitely are happening. Hopefully the process will be finalized before next summer.

I sincerely wish you can in the future grant the hotel another chance to prove to be a small, convenient and nice place to stay in the center of Helsinki.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

I had read very favourable reviews of this hotel so had a certain expectation upon arriving. On first appearance, one is greeted by friendly staff and a nice chilled-out ambiance. However, there seemed to be a problem with the drainage, resulting in a nasty smell coming from the bathroom. We asked to be moved to a different room it was so intolerable. Curiously, they didn't even question our request, or go and look at the room. This smacked of this perhaps being a recurring problem. The other room we were moved to was thankfully, much better. However there was still a smell of a drain in the bathroom. It seems that one's experience of Hotel Finn is entirely dependent on what room one is given. A lottery that results in reviews like this.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Campbell, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

The hotel is on one floor in what appears to be an office building right downtown across from Stockmann the big department store. Stayed for 1 night and was very pleased with the accommodations. Any hotel in Helsinki seems to be extremely expensive so a budget option that provides a reasonably sized and comfortable bed and room was nice to find. Lobby was only open to 12 midnight so hustled to get there by 23:45 and found they were gone already anyway. But e-mailed in advance and was provided the access codes to the buidling and the hotel front door and had my room key nicely laid out on the front counter just as they said it would be. Only recommendation was my room was without shower and the shower down the hall was in a tiny closet next to a washing machine and was quite awkward and not as spotless as I would have liked. Recommend they build a proper shower room for those guests without a shower ensuite. Other than that, a pretty pleasant stay and would definitely recommend and consider staying there again if I find myself in Helsinki.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

Agree with the other reviews which praise this hotel's relatively budget friendly prices and excellent location. We also found the staff exceptionally helpful and rooms comfortable and sheltered from outside noise (the windows were double glazed).

The only negative was the we were given a room right next to the reception area (when we opened our room door, we were pretty much at the reception desk!). At night, all guests passed through this area on their way to bed and sadly, a number were not considerate enough to keep the noise down, both nights we were woken several times by drunken shouting etc. A vending machine right outside our door seemed to offer a place for such folks to congregate late at night which didn't help! If possible, request a room away from reception...or take ear plugs.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

I really enjoyed my stay here. The staff was very friendly and helpful. This is a perfect location and near hotels that cost double what this one is. I recommend booking ahead because if there are events in the area, this hotel could fill up fast. I had a room with a bathroom all to myself. I traveled by myself and felt completely safe here and in the country itself. People in Finland are generally very shy so it helps to stay at a hotel where the staff is friendly and helpful in finding things. It's across the street a bit from Stockman's a major store...and right before you get there is also the Trolley. Maybe just a 2 min walk...
You can pretty much walk every place...I did! Lots of little stores and historic places to see.
Beds are comfy and clean. Cute decor! Hardwood floors....nice sized window in room. The building itself has a security code to enter and your key to access your room. One downside - the hotel staff isn't there 24/7. If you are self sufficient this isn't a problem. I've traveled quite a bit so it was no worries for me...but if you are a needy traveler who gets lost and confused easily...take a deep breath, relax and stay here :)

Room Tip: Book in advance. Coblestone streets before hotel entrance so you will have to wheel your bags over t...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank MillicentMichelle
HotelFinn, Owner at Hotelli Finn, responded to this review, 29 August 2011
Thank you for your kind words. We are currently looking into expanding the receptions opening hours to 24 hours a day, so soon that won't be a problem anymore.
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

Very simple hotel well equipped with main services in a very great location. Excellent quality price-location. I'm in Helsinki at least once per year for my own pleasure 'cause I'm personally in love with Finland and Finnish people and actually I use to rent a flat for longer period but if you need only to sleep and have a start point to move HOTELLI FINN is a great ones. I know that currently it is also completely renovated so very advisable. Moro kaikille! Mulla on ikävää Suomea oikein paljon

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank FollowTheReaper
HotelFinn, Owner at Hotelli Finn, responded to this review, 29 August 2011
Thank you for writing a review. Good that you liked one of our newly renovated rooms. Unfortunately only half of the rooms have been renovated thus far. We are currently renovating the rest of them so soon all the rooms will be in pristine condition.
Springfield, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

Our family of four flies to Russia through Helsinki every year and this year we finally decided to spend the last night of our trip in Helsinki to check out the downtown area and just get a feel for the city.

I selected this Hotel based upon price and previous reviews and am wholly satisfied with our choice. The Hotel Finn is a short and easy walk (no hills or highways) from the central train station. We took a city bus (#10) from Vantaa Airport to the train station (35 min.) - this is the most economical way to get downtown. Children under either 12 or 10 ride free - one of my children rode free to Helsinki and both rode free returning to the Airport . Cost per person is 6 Euros 25 Cents. A cab, I was told, will run you approximately 40 Euros.

The Hotel occupies the entire 6th floor of a building and the elevator is a bit scary as it is a tight fit for more than three people and there is no safety door like on all elevators in the states - the external wall glides by as you rise up to the hotel. A bit dangerous in my opinion.

The hotel itself on the 6th floor is very cozy with very friendly and knowledgeable English- speaking staff. We had a budget quad with four very comfortable twin beds and private bath for $196.18 including tax. Our room had no fridge or microwave. A very basic room indeed but it was tastefully decorated with a good shower and it was quiet. We got a great nights sleep.

My tips for economically seeing the city when you have very little time and are on a budget (EVERYTHING in Finland is about 2-3 times as expensive as in the states):

Take the 3T tram for a nice loop tour around the city it only costs 2.5 Euro for a ticket and you get a good hour+ of sights and sounds around the city. All of the Finnish people with whom we interacted were completely fluent in English and very friendly and helpful. We had no fears at all while walking around late at night with our children or at any time.

As you exit the hotel, walk left to the main street and you will see STOCKMANN's department store - a Finnish Woolworth's of sorts. A very nice department store with a fantastic grocery store and an amazing deli in the basement. We ate a very good meal there and bought some breakfast items for the next morning for under $50 (believe me that is a bargain).

The city is extremely clean and in my opinion very safe as well. The hotel clerk proudly exclaimed that the tap water in the room is very good and potable and is better than bottled water. I believe he is right - it was very good water and we all drank it with no bad effects.

All in all, we had a tiny taste of Finland and found the people and sights to be very beautiful.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Travelismygame
HotelFinn, Owner at Hotelli Finn, responded to this review, 29 August 2011
Thank you for your review and some good tips for visitors in Helsinki.

We do realize the old age of the lift might cause some problems with guests who have gotten used to much more modern lifts, I do guarantee however that it is perfectly safe. Hopefully we can get a new lift installed to the building as soon as possible.