Hotel Glymur
Hotel Cabin(Reykjavik)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewshot tubnorthern lightswhale fjordvilla romancegolden circlelambwake up callthe main hotelgreat viewsitting areafjord viewself cateringunderfloor heatingbreakfast and dinnerblue lagoonsplit levelenjoy the view
Reviewed May 1, 2012

We have just returned from a weekend away in Iceland to celebrate our 23rd Wedding Anniversary. My Husband booked the Romance Villa with Private Hot Tub. The villa was very spacious and well equipped but a bit on the shabby side. Sheets had a couple of old stains and no toiletries on offer and towels that had seen better days. The hot tub was cold as the receptionist didn't give us any informnation when we arrived on where the control was etc. The welcome if you can call it that was very underwhelming. We were given the key and that was about it. The Food is ok if a bit quirky strawberry and mint sauce with fish!!.
On the second night Saturday 28th April they had a large corporate dinner and as guests we were poorly served as the staff were far to busy making sure that non guests were looked after and we were ignored. The final insult was when the staff that had ignored us went about moving furniture around us in an empty room while we were still eating. Not worth the price and will not be going back.

4  Thank maggie t
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Despite the relatively distant location from Rekjavik or other main towns, I really love the atmosphere at this hotel. The reviews lived up to my expectations and I wasn't disappointed at all with their famous seafood soup which I highly recommend everyone should try. Their staffs are extremely friendly and approachable, just like most Icelanders I find. They were really helpful in guiding us places to go and helped us a lot in our bookings for tours. I've stayed in another highly reviewed hotel in Rekjavik after but I soon missed the serenity Glymur has to offer. The hot tub was also another incentive this hotel has to offer! Overall, it feels like a cosy family-run place with inviting warmth.

Reviewed April 29, 2012

We have just returned from a self-drive tour of Southern Iceland, Hotel Glymur was the 3rd stop along the way. The location is beautiful, with views across the fjord, and the absolute highlight was sitting in a hot hub and seeing the northern lights!

However, the decor in the hotel is crazy: wind-chimes, wooden tribal statues, giraffes, scented candles, garden gnomes, Russian dolls, lace work and insane paintings...just to give a brief overview. The rooms are slightly more reserved, but still slightly strange with their split level with the bed area up a flight of stairs- which leaves absolutely no space for a bag anywhere unless you want to lug it up the stairs where there is yet, no storage. The bathroom was nice, with bathrobes and very soft towels- however as mentioned in the other reviews, the sulphur smell was the strongest we came across in Iceland- not very pleasant.

The food was massively overpriced, again with nowhere else to eat. I had cod with strawberry and mint sauce. Biggest mistake. The sauce was horrible and the cod was raw. The lamb seemed to be heated in the microwave. However, breakfast was good with a wide variety of choice.

Upon leaving the hotel we hiked up to Glymur falls, the highest waterfall in Iceland, which was truly beautiful and I would definitely recommend- It's not for the faint hearted though and took us 2.5 hours to reach the top.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We came to Glymur with high hopes, given that other reviewers had given the hotel high praise. We were severely disappointed. Whilst the weather didn't cooperate (overcast and / or mist shrouded most of the time), the location can't be faulted. What detracted most were the spartan dorm-rooms will barely enough space for two people, the bizarre decor, and the rather uninspiring design of the hotel. The food was good, but not great, and the idea of sharing a hot tub with 8 others didn't appeal to us. We left a day early to explore other parts of the island and venture back to Reykjavik instead, which was the best decision we could have made. Not recommended.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Abdab37
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I have to agree with the previous reviewer. The hotel is well-located with great views. The hot tubs are fabulous. The rooms are not to my taste but make good use of the space available. What lets the place down are poor service (I sat in the bar area for almost an hour without a flicker of interest from the staff) and the food. I agree wholeheartedly that the vegetables are terrible - and the same terrible combination is served whether you order grilled fish or curry. Two of my four langoustines were cooked to a pulp. The seafood soup is, as someone esle hads sadi, "ketchupy". Our desserts never arrived on one evening and we were given the wrong desserts on another - on a night when the only choices were apple cake, chocolate cake or ice cream.
This would not matter so much if the hotel did not present and price itself as a high quality, gourmet experience. We also stayed at the wonderful Hotel Ranga and the very nearly wonderful Hotel Budir - the food at both was in a completely different league for similar prices, and the level of service and friendliness at Hotel Ranga is unbeatable. We return over and over again to Hotel Ranga but will not be going back to Hotel Glymur, I'm afraid.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple