“Cosy stay”
Review of Aurora Guesthouse

Aurora Guesthouse
Ranked #24 of 109 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 May 2017 via mobile

We made Aurora Guesthouse our base while we began our trip through Iceland and found it such a nice and cosy place to stay! The staff are very friendly and the complementary breakfast has plenty to choose from as well!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 May 2017

I needed a base while in Iceland and this fit the bill completely. Very reasonable price. VERY clean. Young man did a through cleaning from top to bottom everyday. Room was small, but had what I needed. I had a little sink in the room, a desk with chair and a very comfortable twin bed. I enjoyed the communal sitting area for breakfast each morning. The location was great. Easy to walk to all of the major sites in the downtown area. I felt very safe and would stay here again.

Stayed: April 2017
Reviewed 27 April 2017 via mobile

clean and simple and you get what you pay for ! would have been nice to have a kettle in the room and puffer pillow (there almost none exsinst) and breakfast is the same every day ! (but hey is free) ! near the city center though and the main church makes easy map reading ! also very near a nice thermal swimming bath ! would stay again if i was ever back here !

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 April 2017

Great location within easy walking distance of pretty much everything. Plenty of food available in the breakfast buffet and you really appreciate having that to fill up on in a city as expensive as Reykjavik! We would usually book a hotel with en suite but couldn't afford it here and have to say sharing a bathroom presented us with no problems. It was a bit small but kept very clean and we rarely had to wait to use it. Didn't realise you have to take your own towels to a guesthouse but we'd brought some to use at the lagoons so wasn't an issue. Basic but comfortable place to stay when all you really need is a bed to sleep in as you're out exploring all day!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2017

My friend and I stayed at a twin room in the main building of the guesthouse.
They generally met my expectations for a guesthouse. The hotel is at the city centre. The room is clean and warm enough. We're near a bathroom, but I am not sure how many rooms share the same bathroom. I really don't like the smell of the water from their shower, but it's something not to worry about. I've been told by our tour guide that all of the tap water from Iceland is clean, but some of them do smell like sulfur (sulfur really smells bad). They provide an average breakfast buffet in the morning as well. One thing that frustrated my friend though is that they have a really poor wifi connection. I read from the reviews that wifi is good in the guesthouse's main building, but we can't even connect to it even if we're just a floor above the router.

Anyway, if you need to save money and want to stay at the centre of the expensive city of Reykjavik, I can still say that Aurora is a good option (as long as you won't mind the things that I've mentioned above).

1  Thank Marcus R
Reviewed 31 March 2017

Location is good. I stayed in the main building but totally no wifi at all. Better to stop advertising that they have wifi. Water smells strong sulfur but its fine. Quality of sleep is poor because our room is located adjacent to the bathroom and at the middle of the night I heard people trying to open our door knobs because they thought it's the bathroom. You can hear also loud voices and loud steps from other guests and people preparing for breakfast ( around 4 am) grrrr..

3  Thank goarv2017
Reviewed 27 March 2017

One of the main reasons for selecting this hotel was due to the website stating ‘Free Parking’ – the hotel has no parking!!!! It is possible to park on the street, but we had to park a distance away and walk back with our bags.

Describing in as a hotel is misleading, it would be better described as a hostel as it seem to sit in that market much better.

The room was ok, but so noisy – you could hear every footstep on the stairs, the front door banged every time anyone went through too. It was also single glazed and on the ground floor, so the noise from the street was a problem too.

Due to that it was two of the worst nights sleep I have ever had.