“Reykjavik Stay”
Review of Hotel Klettur

Hotel Klettur
Ranked #30 of 55 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 18 June 2016

The area around this hotel made me nervous--lots of graffiti and boarded up buildings--but the hotel is nice, clean and very close to the main streets of Reykjavik. The staff was very friendly and helpful, marking routes on maps, booking tours, making dinner reservations. The room was small but clean and the bed comfortable. The breakfast was plentiful and there were several choices.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,716)

Reviewed 17 June 2016

I stayed at Hotel Klettur my first and last night in Iceland. My first experience was terrible and my second was average.

My first experience was negative for the following reasons: my pillow was so thin I had to fold it in 4, the room so small it was almost impossible to move around, our room was located in a basement and the customer service at reception was generally pour.

My last experience: Our room was significantly better as it was located on the 6th floor with a balcony, the room was very spacious, the staff was very friendly and my pillow was normal.

So I think it's a bit hit or miss at this hotel. However I can say that on both occasions the breakfast was quite good, the rooms clean and the Wi-Fi connection very good.

Reviewed 16 June 2016

This hotel is one of a dozen, you can find all over the world. Nothing authentic, efficient, standard, anonimous. The asset is that it is located close to the main street of Reykjavik. The staff is friendly and helpfull, the rooms standard, the breakfast average. Nothing special.

Reviewed 15 June 2016

We stayed here for four nights over the Easter period. We have stayed here on a previous trip so we knew what to expect.

The receptionist was not the most helpful when we arrived but gave us directions to our rooms. Our rooms were on the top floor and one overlooked the harbour, the view was amazing! The other overlooked some of the other rooms of the hotel and was very claustraphobic. Both of the rooms had clean bedding, smallish towels etc. both of the rooms were very basic but clean.

Breakfast was basic but you could find something even for the fussiest of eaters. The breakfast room can get quite busy.

The receptionist in the evening/ night was the best. He was full of information on the excursions etc. which you can book through the hotels reception.

For a basic inexpensive hotel stay then this hotel could be what you are looking for.

Room Tip: room 518 has a good view
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2016

The customer service is top notch. We arrived at the hotel around 7am, well before check-in time. Without asking, the front desk staff told us we could check our bags and that our room should be ready around noon. The hotel location was convenient to the city center as it took less than 5 minutes to walk to the city center from the hotel. The rooms are small but no different than most hotels you'd find in Europe. The breakfast was a little disappointing and with much of the places in the city center closed at breakfast time, your options are limited. Still, we were able to find a bakery that was open (and was delicious) and as a last resort, a Dunkin Donuts. The room and hotel were clean and we encountered no problems during our 3 day stay. The view from the hotel isn't much to look at since it's on the edge of a residential neighborhood but the area felt safe and it was quiet. The hotel has good wifi and it's free, there is also a game room that has a pool table and a foosball table. Although there is a market right around the corner and two groceries stores within easy walking distance (5-10 minutes), the hotel has some refreshments available for sale in the lobby. I would definitely stay here again. And, one thing I found amusing about the room--there is no shortage of mirrors--there are 3 in the bathroom and at least one or two outside the bathroom.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2016

Stayed here at start and end of our self drive trip around Iceland last week. Great location for Reykjavik and the airport, with free secure underground parking.

Rooms are small, but big compared to the room in another hotel stayed at up the road last year, so expect they are all small around here. Bathroom was nice and big though.

There is a building site on one side, but no noise was heard from our room while we were in it - booking with Discover The World, we were also guaranteed a room at each end of our stay which didn't overlook the site.

Breakfast is not the best, but it was the same as every hotel we stayed at, so not negative to this hotel over any other.

Room Tip: Both rooms we had were the same on 1st & 4th floors. No views to have.
Reviewed 10 June 2016 via mobile

Stayed here in the beginning of June because of all the positive reviews. Experience was a little disappointing in relation to the high price charged. I arrived a bit early and asked if I could possibly check in. I knew it was a slim chance but I was told "no" even though the desk clerk failed to check the computer to see if the room was ready. I was able to store my luggage while I wandered around the city.
I came back to the hotel and was witness to some bad customer service. An elderly couple walked in for a room and the clerk was confused that they were walkins. She told them that it was 50% cheaper to go to the hotel website and suggested they do that. The elderly couple explained that they did not have a phone or computer. The clerk told them to take a bus to the nearest library and use a computer there. What?! Another guest that was in the lobby offered to help the couple by using her phone. After researching it was determined that the online savings weren't as quoted.
When I finally got into my room, someone had used the toilet and failed to flush. Quite the surprise in this expensive hotel.
Breakfast was included and it was fine, but there wasn't an abundance of choices. All in all, a disappointing stay.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends