“Nice place to stay”
Review of Hotel Klettur

Hotel Klettur
Ranked #30 of 53 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 31 May 2017

Went to Iceland in January 2015. What a beautiful country. It's cold but not as cold in winter as people think. We were there in the off season but our tour buses were full and I'm sure the hotel was fully booked. We snorkelled at Silfra in +2C degree water (recommended any time of year by the way). The hotel was clean and comfortable. LOVED the hot water. I wish I lived on a volcanic island that had an unlimited source of hot water. Nice continental breakfasts. We rented a car so we always had parking right out front. Short walking distance to the main shopping avenue. There isn't much for restaurants right outside so plan for food ahead of time as lots of places aren't open late either. Maybe it was just the time of year. Decent sized room. 2 twin beds were put together to make one double which is supposedly normal for hotels there? Lots of closet/storage space. Good sized bathroom...did I mention how awesome the hot water was? The only thing is there isn't a way to control the heat in the room. After walking around outside, it'd be nice to be able to turn up the heat to warm up a bit.

Room Tip: Scope out places to eat and find out their hours beforehand.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Klettur

Reviewed 22 May 2017

Very nice hotel, rooms were of a decent size, Great friendly staff, decent wi-fi, Fantastic location, close to pretty much everything, decent breakfast, typical continental, cant pick a fault with place if im honest.

Room Tip: Choose a higher level room to avoid noise
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Ída S, sales and marketing representative at Hotel Klettur, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2017

Dear zebadee85,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we are delighted to know your stay with us was a memorable one!
We look forward welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 17 May 2017

Wonderful Country. A nice place to stay to discover the city, good location. The room was a litle bit tiny, but warm and clean A spacious toilet.
Good Breakfast with fruit cerals and cookies. Wi Fi free in my room.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank spring-summer
Ída S, sales and marketing representative at Hotel Klettur, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2017

Dear spring-summer,

Thank you so much for your feedback following your stay at hotel Klettur.
One of the biggest plus points certainly is our location :)
We offer a variety of room sizes, from our standard rooms to our larger superior or family types rooms.
Great to know that you liked the great selection at breakfast, the free WiFi, the warm & clean rooms.
We do hope that we have the option of welcoming you back again for another splendid visit :)
Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 May 2017

Excellent, well-positioned hotel just outside the centre of Reykjavik - which, although the capital of Iceland, is no bigger than a large European town, with hardly any traffic & without the usual city-centre angst. The hotel itself has good sized rooms furnished with Nordic simplicity, plus expansive views of the seafront & distant snow-capped mountains, if you pay a little extra. Only down-side is the price (but everything in Iceland is a little pricey...) and the absence of food - they do a good breakfast, but like many hotels here, no lunch or dinner service. Overall, a very good service.
PS One thing to remember is that the hot water in the showers/bathrooms will smell sulphurous - it is a volcanic island after all - but it's perfectly safe & it isn't that the drains need cleaning!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for excellent sea & mountain views
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family

Dear J6208WNdavidw,

Thank you so much for the review following your recent stay at hotel Klettur.

We have many great restaurants close by and the supermarket store Bónus is just a couple of minutes away from the hotel. It is indeed very convenient :)
Thank you again for your great feedback and we are very much so looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 16 May 2017

This hotel was a nice surprise. Located within short walking distance of the shopping and restaurant area with a coffee shop across the street, this hotel was everything I needed. Clean, quiet, and very comfortable, it was a pleasure to come back to after a long day of seeing the sights. Added bonus was a view of the harbor from my room which was on the fifth floor. Wi-fi is free but is inconsistent so if that is important to you, don't count on there always being a strong connection. There is an in-room safe, a small fridge, a desk, easy to access plugs for your phone, a chair and an electric kettle to make tea or coffee with (supplied). I did not turn on the TV so I can't comment on that. The bed was comfortable and in the bathroom were bar soap, shampoo, and conditioner. A buffet breakfast is served daily and offers Icelandic fare such as pickled herring, and skyr, along with fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, pastries, bread, and many toppings for a bowl of porridge. The hot chocolate was delicious and there is also coffee and juice.There is a tour desk in-house and a small selection of souvenirs. The front desk was very helpful with directions and general inquiries and they offer free storage of your luggage if needed.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Terri K

Dear di_lithium,

Thank you so much for your great review following your stay at hotel Klettur.

It was delighted to read your feedback and that our team took care of you. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Best wishes,

Reviewed 11 May 2017

We stayed at Hotel Klettur at the end of April, 2017 for 4 nights. We had two rooms: one for myself, my husband and our little son and the second one for my mom.

First of all: the pros. My son has a severe allergy to peanuts, so I posted a question here about the breakfast buffet and safety of food from the allergy point. I got a quite prompt and thorough response from the hotel that made me feel less anxious, and I really appreciate it.
We were able to check it early, which, again, was very much appreciated given a tired toddler on our hands. Although, I'm wondering if it was mostly because we were there during the shoulder season. I can see that in the height of the tourist season they may not be able to accommodate the early check-ins.
The location of the hotel is pretty good. We were able to walk wherever we needed in the city in 30 minutes or less. Having said that, Reykjavik's city centre is not particularly large, so this is probably true of most hotels in the area.
The lobby has a lot of information on the tours, it was very easy to book any necessary tours or transfers, absolutely no problem.
The rooms were of decent size, the beds were quite comfy. There is a kettle in the room rather than a standard North American coffee maker, which I appreciated as a tea drinker.
Breakfast buffet was simple, yet diverse enough to be able to get a nice, filling breakfast every day.
Now, to the problems. Really, the main problem was the room bathroom. There was a constant wetness/moldy smell. The one you get if you don't turn on the fan in your bathroom ever. The shower curtain has seen better days. There was no obvious dirt or mold (I think), but the smell kinda ruined it.
Another, albeit less important, issue was that the electricity in the room is only on when you come in and put your card in. I appreciate the concern for the environment, but my issue was that we had stuff stored in the fridge. So, when you are gone the whole day, and the fridge is off... I don't think any of our stuff went bad, because if you don't constantly open and close the door, it probably keeps decently cold, but still.

Overall, if you already booked this hotel and now you're checking TripAdvisor (which is what I did, hehe), it's fine. It really is an ok hotel and you probably will not hate it. It's reasonably priced, the beds are comfortable and the breakfast buffet is good. But I'm not sure if I will necessarily book it again.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Zinaida K

Dear Zinaida K,

Thank you so much for your feedback following your stay at hotel Klettur.

We always appreciate feedback from our guests as this helps us to ensure we work on any areas which are not up to our usual standard.
We are glad to know that you got a prompt response from the hotel regarding the safety of food from the allergy point and that it made you feel less anxious. Our team here at hotel Klettur want all of our guests to have a thoroughly enjoyable experience and return on many more occasions.
Regarding the smell from your bathroom, it is most likely the smell of sulfur you are describing. Some people say that it smells like rotten eggs - this is usually present in geothermal waters, and is often associated with volcanic eruptions.
Our team have taken your comments on board regarding the and hope to see you again soon in the near future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 10 May 2017 via mobile

Location is good for access to main shopping and attractions area. Room was tiny but clean. The accommodations are sparce. There are no tissues provided but I guess toilet paper works ok. The wifi is unpredictable and spotty with frequent freezes and disconnects. The TV is bolted to the wall facing nothing in particular.

The shower has very little low water pressure and takes several minutes to warm up but is adequate. The towels are thin but clean.

The bed pillows are a joke compressing to an inch or so in height unless you roll them up into a tight wad and wedge them under your neck. Unfortunately you do have to repeat the maneuver several Times throughout the night.

There was no safe in my room. When I asked the reception desk staff if they had a safe where I could place a small bag containing money and travel documents. One woman said that they couldn't do as anything because there was money in the bag. Her attitude was less than helpful. In fact acted as though I was the problem. Another woman offered to watch the bag (clearly there was no safe available) but that I would need to retrieve it before she left work for the day. I didnt feel comfortable with the overall vibe and decided to find a different solution. I just thought the attitude from the one staff member was unaccommodating and defensive.

All in all, it's just a place to sleep. No amenities, little interest by the staff in addressing any issue you might have. Just a place to sleep.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ccglider

Dear Ccglider,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent hotel Klettur experience, especially for highlighting our location and the cleanliness of the rooms.
We are very sorry to hear about the matters you experienced while staying with us. Please be assured that this is not how we usually operate, and we have taken your complaints very seriously.
There should be a safe in each room and we are very sorry to know that there was no safe in your room. We apologies on behalf of hotel Klettur for any inconvenience caused and we will make sure that there is one safe in each room.
We hope that you visit us again in future for a stay that you will fully enjoy, so that we can restore your faith in us.

Kind regards,