“V Good but over priced” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Raipur, India
“V Good but over priced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012 via mobile

Stayed there till yesterday. Rooms r v clean , excellent service. But i wish it was a bit less priced.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012 via mobile

Mosquitos aside, this was a great central location with a view of the pond.
Rooms clean and well appointed if a bit anodyne. No dedicated parking but staff offered space in front of apartment, but only when they didnt want it. When we were asked to shift the car in the morning of our second day, it wasn't with much grace. Early start perhaps.
Pretty good value for facilities and being in centre of town.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Geoff H
Ingibergur T, Manager at Castle House Luxury Apartments, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Thank you for your review. Sorry for the mistakes made by our staff. They seem to have taken our desire to offer good service too far by offering use of a parking space they constantly use for the hotel. And then, clearly, been in a hurry to get access to this space.

Castle House is in the city centre and parking is not free. However it is rather inexpensive to use the metered parking in the street in front of the hotel, much less expensive than in Europe or the US:

Iceland is one of very few countries that does not have any mosquitoes. Scientists have not been able to explain this, but we do not miss them.

The small flies that annoyed our guest are non-biting flies hatched in the lake in front of the hotel this time of year. They are only around for a couple of weeks.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

Best for mid-priced traveler couples and families.

We stayed five nights booked direct on their website several weeks before arrival.

What’s good: The location is superb and central. Right next to the city pond and city centre, you won’t need to catch taxis or buses anywhere for general ‘tourist’ activities. It’s literally a 10 second walk to the front door of the Iceland National Gallery. The more expensive ‘name brand’ hotels all seem to be located well out of walking distance of the main city area - an easy (small) five block walk way. Wireless wifi internet access was free and strong – we were able to make skype phone calls on our computer.

The unit and bathroom were spotlessly clean. Heating worked well and there’s plenty of strong, hot water in the shower (although there is a bit of a sulphur smell). Staff were very polite, helpful and friendly.

Our room (#10? - located separte from the central block of units) had a queen size bed, small couch, colour tv with moderate selection of channels and self-contained kitchenette with microwave, mini-fridge and hob (hotplates). Crockery and cutlery, pans, utensils all provided. Heating was great. Our room was next to the laundry so there was a little noise later in the mornings but otherwise a very quiet stay.

It’s not a ‘traditional’ hotel in the sense there’s no foyer, so you’ll need to be a bit self-sufficient and check yourself in (keys are left for collection in the main building entrance).

Minor annoyances (not many): There’s no in-room safe however Iceland feels very safe. Of course you should still exercise common sense and some caution, but you’ll likely feel safer here than many other countries.

We had a queen size bed (whilst bedding is a personal thing, we didn’t find it particularly comfortable) and fitting all this and a kitchenette into the room made it a little cozy. European hotels don’t come with a top sheet on the bed but a doona/duvet/comforter instead. Our bed had two single duvets which we found unusual, but still did the job and at least you don’t lose your coverings to your bed partner.

Transport: If you’re catching an airport transfer shuttle, they’ll drop you in front of the Church and it can be a bit disorientating finding the facility at first. You’ll find the ‘main entrance’ door in a small unit behind, not attached to, the Church. There’s a telephone in the entry room, with a direct line to get assistance if you need it. Most likely your room will not be in the main building, so possibly you’ll need to search around a little to find it.

For something unusual/different: do not leave Iceland without a swim in one of the many geothermal pools (e.g Blue Lagoon is the most popular and commercial one). There’s nothing like sitting in a 38 degree C (or 100 F) heated outdoor pool, while it hails and snows around you. It’s something you’ll never forget and the silica minerals do amazing things for your skin. You must also try the amazing hotdogs at Baejarins Beztu Pylsur.

The Iceland Express main office on Laekjargata (approx. 6 blocks walk) have free easy-to-read city maps. If you’re taking tours with this company, best to walk to their office rather than wait out in the open for a pickup (we stood in gale-force sub-zero temperatures for a pick-up from the apartment).

Watch out for: in supermarkets and corner stores you’ll find cartons shaped like milk cartons, located in the dairy section, labeled with the word “Mjolk” . This is not milk. If you make our mistake, you’ll end up with Skyr – a fermented yoghurt product. Still nice to try with fruit however but don’t put it in your coffee.

Additional info: ATM machines dispensing IKR (Icelandic Kroner) were available at the Reykjavic airport, with exchange rates better than what was on offer in the USA. Don’t forget to ask for the tax refund forms on souvenir purchases (clothing, etc), and get a refund of purchase tax at the airport tax office on leaving the country.

Nearby: Next door is the Iceland National Gallery and diagonally opposite the pond is the small Iceland Museum. A small corner store open until around 11pm is four blocks walk up Skalholtsstigur, with a larger supermarket (called ‘Bonus’ – look for the pink pig on a yellow sign) along Hallveigarstigur (5 small blocks easy walk); a small bakery is on Pinghossraeti. The amazing Hallgrimskirkja (Lutheran Church) is up through the central shopping area ‘mall’ (around 9 blocks walk). Try Café Loki opposite the church for a sample of some authentic and traditional Iceland food

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Boriski
U.K.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

We arrived at Castle House early in the morning and were so pleased to be able to access our appartment straight away - a big plus. We had booked a small apartment and it was small but very compact and comfortable. We had everything we needed and it was warm and cosy. I especially liked the heated floor in the bathroom and the compact but efficient shower.We had booked the airport bus which dropped us off at the door and picked us up there to take us back to the airport. You are only a very short walk from a variety of eating places and a small supermarket and bakery. It was nice to be near the'pond' and to see all the different birds which were there. There is plenty to see in Reykjavic and do not miss the wonderful modern cathedral.Castle house is a lovely place to stay and the owners have thought of everything to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

I just returned from Iceland and the last leg of my journey (and unfortunately..to short a time) I stayed in the Castle House Apartments #30. I can't begin to say enough good things about this place. I loved every second I was there. Everything is there that you could want or need (except a washer and dryer and that's ok..having experienced them and knowing how long they take to wash and dry). The apartment was perfectly appointed and flowed so well. Kitchen is equipped with all you need to cook for yourself if you so desire. The furniture was comfortable and fit so well into the setting. I had an apartment with a small balcony which was so cute. I loved the idea that I could sit outside and watch the wonderful pond and birds. And if you are a smoker..these are the apartments you will want to get.

Stores are close by so you can easily walk to them for supplies. The apartment is superbly located. While I was there..if you walked outside you could hear people having a good time but inside..you could hear a pin drop.

There is no formal reception room but that was just fine. All you need to do is ring the buzzer and someone answers straight away and opens the main door for you. When you enter the lobby..there is a place where everyones keys are placed in envelopes with their names on them. I was really happy to find complimentary slippers in the room...that was a special amenity. My poor feet were so tired and I didn't have to go digging for my slippers right away. Thank you for all the wonderful added touches. They really go all out for their guests. The WiFi was wonderful and the TV actually got alot of channels if you wanted to watch tv. It was nice to be able to catch up on the news after a week on the road. When you come into the apartment there on the kitchen table is placed an extra key, your receipt and a map of the closes things..ie: buses, bakeries, stores (like a city map) and a wonderful little flip board of phone number and instructions on everything you need to know from WiFi password to who to call if you need anything, to tv channels etc.

The beds were so comfortable, I do believe I went into a coma every time my head hit the pillow. The bathroom showers still befuddle me but no problem there..the bathroom floors are heated and what a nice, nice touch. The rooms are cleaned everyday. I couldn't believe that the first night I was there all that I had had was a cup of coffee and inadvertently left it sitting on the counter and gone out. When I returned..I was looking for the cup and realized someone had washed it and put it back in the cabinet.

As you enter the apartment you are in the living room/dining area..so cute and just has a big "WELCOME!!!" feeling. The kitchen is small but very, very efficient. Included is everything you could want from pots and pans, dishes, silverware, microwave, dishwasher, little frig, water kettle, coffee pot, toaster. It made it so easy to prepare your own meals and store your perishables.

I have nothing but good things to say about Castle House Apartments and when I return, I will definitely be staying there again. All the special touches that Castle House management provides just added to a delightful trip. My only regret is that I did not get to stay there longer. I would definitely recommend staying here to everyone and anyone I know who is planning a trip to Iceland...no, I would highly recommend Castle House. Next time I go..I will be staying here and hopefully for a longer time. Wonderful, wonderful place!!!!

Room Tip: Only tip I can give is that is you are a smoker..get one of the rooms with a balcony..otherwise you...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank love4allpaws
Ingibergur T, Manager at Castle House Luxury Apartments, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
Thank you for your review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay. During the last 12 months we have upgraded all bathrooms and done everything we could think of make our guests comfortable.

You mention smoking: All our apartments are non smoking, but smoking is allowed on the balconies of apartments 20 and 30 and outside the building, in the garden.

We do have a 24 hour reception in the small office at the back of the house and meet most of our guests when they arrive. If we need to attend to apartments elsewhere we have made arrangements for letting our guests in via door phone so they can access their apartments immediately on arrival. We are on call 24/7.
Pattaya, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

Very modern and stylish place. The apartment was nice and big with an amazingly comfy bed. Wifi was much in need and it was fast compared to some other hotels. We loved our stay....

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

Castle House was the perfect place for my grown daughter and me. We brought most of our food in order to save money, so we could take more day trips. We had a basement 1 bedroom apartment with a sofa bed. This worked out perfectly for us, for her privacy and my snoring sake. The heated bathroom floors and hot showers were everything we could ask for after a day of sight-seeing in early March. The neighborhood is beautiful. My daughter could run 4 miles around the pond in preparation for her marathon relay in the states and we even saw the Northern Lights flickering over the apartments. WiFi worked great, so we could write our blog and upload pictures. All in all we will definitely stay at Castle House the next time we come to Iceland. Thank you for one of the best trips of our lives.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family