“Best Meal We Had in Iceland”
Review of Forrettabarinn

Forrettabarinn
Ranked #5 of 569 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Price range: US$16 - US$62
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: We serve starters of all sizes from around the world, made out of Iceland's freshest ingredients and seasonal game. Forrettabarinn is a true gem in the oldest part of town, in the fresh sea air down by the harbor.Our wine and beer-list matches perfectly the spirit of the ever changing menu of our sometimes "experimental kitchen".We offer you exciting new angles to traditional dishes with a vibrant atmosphere and warm service.
Reviewed October 23, 2017

My husband and I came here for our anniversary dinner and this ended up being one of the best meals we had during our vacation in Iceland. From the minute we entered the restaurant we were warmly greeted and even though they did not have record of my reservation, they seated us anyway without any fuss. Our waitress was very kind and was happy to explain the menu to us in detail. We both settled on one of their tasting menu options (4 course menu) that included an appetizer and dessert for around $60-$70 USD per person depending on which menu you selected. My husband got the "Fly Fish" Menu which included a cocktail of shrimp and baccala as a starter (amazingly tasty), smoked duck breast, sauteed cod (as the entree), and skyr with berries. I got the Smokey Bay menu which included hot smoked salmon as the appetizer (which we both agreed was the best part of an incredible meal - not to be missed), beef carpaccio, herb crusted lamb, and creme brulee with rhubarb compote. Every dish was flawlessly executed and delicious. We really enjoyed the opportunity to try a bunch of different dishes and there was enough to share between the two of us. For Iceland the pricing can't be beat, especially for the level of service and quality we received. Next time we are in Reykjavik we will definitely return to Forrettabarinn.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,188)

Reviewed October 23, 2017

Loved this restaurant the seafood was amazing and my friend had the horse which was fantastic. Our server was super nice and answered all our questions. The food was excellent as was the menu selection. Atmosohere was nice with a open kitchen. You will not be disappointed. Located down by the waterfront short walk from town center.

Reviewed October 17, 2017 via mobile

We had a wonderful meal. I had their “Sea Horse” pre fixe meal. Scallops and Arctic Char was superb. I ate Horse and hate to say but I loved it. Dessert was also great. Our server (Laufey) could not have been nicer.

Reviewed October 17, 2017

I ate here on our last night. My Son had the four course Fly Fish with prawn cocktail, duck breast with an Asian type salad, saluted did and then fruit with skyr, I had the smokey bay wow the salmon was delicious, carpaccio of beef was amazing, land was pink and utterly delicious and an wonderful brûlée to end with, both were amazing and for Iceland pretty good for the price, in fact probably better value having a four course, we both ate everything. The wine was very expensive and just coifable. Staff were lovely and it didn't arrive too fast. Slightly difficult to find as on the window was foretta so we thought it may be a different restaurant, it's not. Well done

Reviewed October 11, 2017

I had the smokey bay 4 courses set menu and was very impressed. All the dishes are nicely presented are very delicious. We like prompt service and they are very attentive to our needs even before we requested it. For 6450, it comes with salmon, beef carpaccio, lamb and a cream brulee dessert. Definitely worth it and highly recommend. One of the best meals in Iceland!

1  Thank spicykit