“We loved everything about it!”
Review of Forrettabarinn

Forrettabarinn
Ranked #5 of 575 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Price range: US$16 - US$62
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We serve starters of all sizes from around the world, made out of Iceland's freshest ingredients and seasonal game. Forrettabarinn is a true gem in the oldest part of town, in the fresh sea air down by the harbor.Our wine and beer-list matches perfectly the spirit of the ever changing menu of our sometimes "experimental kitchen".We offer you exciting new angles to traditional dishes with a vibrant atmosphere and warm service.
Reviewed April 4, 2018

We both had set menus, "Fly fish" and "smokey bay". Portions were beautiful, delicious and quite big actually in my opinion. We were quite hungry, but couldnt have eaten any more. Prices were reasonable compared to the general pricelevel in Reykjavik.

We had made a reservation a couple of days in advance and I think that was good idea, since the place was very full. We visited on Wednesday evening. Staff was very attentive, friendly and service was quick.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank 909heliv
Write a ReviewReviews (1,207)

Reviewed April 3, 2018

One of my go-to places for a simple and reliable dinner out. The service is always extremely efficient for a sit-down restaurant; I don't recall ever having to wait long for my food. The name of the restaurant is "appetizer bar" and you should definitely keep in mind that the menu consists only of small plates. You can either combine 2-3 yourself or choose one of the set menus they offer. For me, either the quesadilla or the burger plus a side salad is the perfect amount. The salad might be my favorite in the city - always topped with interesting things like crispy root vegetables.

I will say that the bread basket is nothing special and the fries are pretty standard too. Other than that my only complaint is that I've gone there so often that I'm starting to want to see the menu changed up a bit!

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed March 30, 2018 via mobile

This place has two areas: a bar and a restaurant. Don't get fooled by the simplistic external appearance; the service is great (and very quick), value for money is good compared to how ridicolously expensive most restaurants in iceland are, atmosphere is lovely, and i have to say we were very impressed by the quality of the food..Arctic char and burgers were magnificient. Well done!

Reviewed March 30, 2018 via mobile

We made reservations ahead of time and when we arrived it was pretty crowded. The hostess was very sweet and we were seated right away. The food was delicious from start to finish. It's down by the water and a little bit off from the center of town which we liked. The atmosphere was busy but not too loud...although there were only two of us, this would be a great place for a large group.

Reviewed March 29, 2018 via mobile

As other reviewers have said, make sure you have a reservation and tell them you have one. Otherwise you will be seated in the bar area instead of the restaurant section.

We really liked the smoked salmon, the char, the cod and the langoustine soup. The duck, lamb and creme brûlée were ok.