“Inedible. Avoid!”

Tian Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #393 of 514 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 8 February 2016

We ordered take out for Chinese New Year. I didn't have high expectations, judging by similar establishments in Reykjavík, but I thought I would try it after a few excellent reviews on TripAdviser. I can only assume the excellent reviews on TripAdvisor are fake because this was not only the worst Chinese food I've ever had but also possibly the worst food I've ever had.

I'm not even sure what the food was that I was served and it was completely inedible. I ordered stir fry vegetables in oyster sauce and I got fried cucumber and lettuce? The rice was hard, dry and tasteless. The prawn crackers were old and stale. I add insult to injury the price was fairly high too.

It completely ruined our new year celebrations and I still feel physically sick several hours after. Thank you fake reviewers for ruining my evening.

The only saving grace with this establishment is that the staff are nice.

3  Thank Laura H

Reviewed 21 October 2015

This is the very best Chinese restaurant in Iceland. The food is watering good, service is marvelous all the way and you don't have to take a second mortgage on you house to pay for the food :) This is the restaurant that the staff of the Chinese embassy get there food from and that says it all.

If you like chinese food per excellence then this is the place to go

Reviewed 1 February 2015

Couldn't find any restaurants near our hotel and was so happy when we came across the Tian. Sadly the food was just terrible. We had dim sum, heavy doughy and very little filling. Then we had Kung Po pork and beef with vegetables and oyster sauce which looked nothing like the menu, very grey and so full of salt. It was also really gloopy. The saving grace was the prawn crackers, the biggest I've ever seen and tasty. Cost about forty pounds. Avoid.

4  Thank ChucknJoany
Reviewed 23 January 2015 via mobile

I travel around the world with work and have a budget for lunch Iceland is expensive anyway.I found this place whilst exploring and being nosy..popped in staff very freindly buffet style food and plenty of it for 1690k or about£9.50 uk you can go back for seconds very american style.also hsve tried menu bejing beef came out on a sixzling hot plate..good value for money ..dont expect it to be top end

1  Thank Bernie N
Reviewed 16 January 2015

My partner and I go here when we want greasy, salty, carb-loaded Chinese food -- plain and simple. I haven't tried other Chinese restaurants in town (such as Asia or Nings), but I have heard awful reviews of those establishments and thus steer away from them. My partner has been coming to Tian for a long time now and enjoys the slightly tacky atmosphere inside, and when I first visited Tian, I trusted his judgment about the food. The place is almost always empty, and in fact, when I went most recently, I was shocked to find a friend eating there because it seems like either people don't know about Tian, or avoid it.

We tend to order the "specials" -- a sampling of items like fried shrimp, Kung Pao chicken, noodles with pork, and so on. The portions are decently-sized and very well-priced (about 1600 ISK per person).

Sometimes there have been some language issues (them not understanding my partner's Icelandic or my English) which have caused some mix-ups with the food, but generally the service is very attentive.

The food here isn't particularly special, or even particularly "good," but when I have a longing for the yummy Chinese food which I used to get in Seattle, this is the next best thing, and it sates my tastebuds. I hope that Tian stays around for a long time because it's a nice place to visit every few months when my hankering for Chinese appears.

2  Thank Leana C