“Avoid...just avoid.”

Pavi Apartments
Waltham, Massachusetts
“Avoid...just avoid.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

Before I begin, let me note that I joined Trip Advisor specifically to write this review.

Reykjavik was the last stop on my three week European backpacking trip. To save money during the trip, I opted to stay in hostels and guesthouses in lieu of more expensive and luxurious hotels. So naturally I wasn't expecting king sized beds and whirlpool tubs in my accommodations. Then I arrived at Guesthouse Pavi, a place where the bar is set so far below my expectations, it might as well be on the ground.

First, previous reviewers are correct in that there is no reception, and upon arriving, you must call for someone to come and check you in. So make sure you either have some ISK on you (there's a pay phone), or be willing to pay charges on your phone if you're traveling internationally. Einar, the owner (?), went through the details of check in very quickly so be sure to have your thinking cap on. Also, be aware that your room might not be in the actual guesthouse...I was taken a block away. That's not such a big deal though, but kind of a downer when you realize you have to carry your backpack that much further. Also, he offered to carry my boyfriend's backpack but not mine. What a gentleman!

The room was pretty standard: three twin beds (although I had booked a double), a desk, tv, etc. The pillows were very flat and had torn pillowcases. The sheets had holes as well. There was a lamp on the desk, even though the only outlet was on another wall. That's nice, decorative lamps that have nowhere to be plugged in. There was one plug in the entire room. There were also exposed wires, so maybe you could fashion an outlet if you were handy enough.

Also, you get an ancient looking key for your room, and not a key card like I was given in other hostels. Hide your valuables when you're there because the door just needs a swift kick to be opened without the key, and because Einar/staff come into your room even though you've rented it. How do I know they come into your room? Well, note that my room had three beds. So there were three sets of linens. This was a blessing in disguise, because I could use the extra pillow to prop up another, and together this created one normal pillow. The next evening, after returning from a long day of sightseeing, I was looking forward to a nice peaceful sleep. When I got into the room, I noticed that someone had come in and taken the extra linens, including going over to my bed, reaching under my stuff, and taking the extra pillow someone was obviously using. Ew. I understand it is a small detail of an otherwise wonderful experience in Reykjavik, but I find it inappropriate for staff to enter and take things from your room, especially if it's clear that they're being used. Was it the only other pillow in multiple buildings? Is the owner/staff just that lazy or inconsiderate?

The bathroom was fine...I'm not sure why the heat was turning on in July though. It wasn't *that* cold out.

I would've felt better about my experience in Guesthouse Pavi if the cost per night was maybe 20 Euros less. But it's not, and thus I implore you to avoid...avoid...avoid this place!

Room Tip: to get the best room, go to another guesthouse.
5 Thank bcass85

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

Having been to 45 different countries, you could say I've had my share of the best hotels (5 stars) and probably the not-so good ones (B&Bs and no-star stars alike). But this place definitely takes the cake. It is not a guesthouse nor an apartment - it's a hostel, with graffiti on the exterior. It was so embarrassing to be staying at the hotel. Upon arrival, there was no one to check us in. A note is permanently on the door telling guests to ring a number so someone can let them in.

The breakfast they provided was unappetizing - hard boiled eggs, brown sliced bread, one type of sliced cheese, one type of sliced ham, sliced apples and regular tea, one type of cereal and milk. It's the same each morning. So we skipped that.

The room was dirty and not carpeted. There is no ventilation except for a tiny window. Curtains could not be parted because then the building next door can see you very easily. The room was also like a pizza oven. We were baking! Beds, pillows and duvets were also bad. The worst part is - the water (tap and shower) smelled of sulfur the entire time you're using it!

Wi-fi? Very weak. It's also very unstable. And when you check out and need to leave luggage behind, you do so at your own risk by leaving it on the top floor where anyone can walk in and take it. No one is there to mind it.

Have nothing good to say about this place except that it's a 10-minute walk to downtown restaurants. Do yourselves a favour and do not stay at this place! Worst place to stay at in Reykjavik!

4 Thank pink_goddess888

Travellers are raving about these Reykjavik hotels

Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

My husband and I started our month-long Europe trip in Reykjavic. Since we were "backpacking" Europe we weren't expecting luxury or 5 star service hotels, just a simple and comfortable place to spend the night. When we first got to Guesthouse Pavi, there was no one to be found to check us in. Us and another confused guest were trying to track someone down when we saw a phone that told us to call the person who worked there for check-in...only problem was that we had to pay to call and we were fresh off the plane minus any local currency. Lucikly, we ran into someone who could check us in, but they couldn't find our reservation. Finally, after going through a few people, we got checked in...but we were told we couldn't get into our room for another 5 hours and we had to keep our backpacks with us. So, my husband and I wandered around town in a jet-lagged daze for 5 hours before we could finally get into our room. Once in our room, we found comforable accomdations with a nice double bed, small but decent bathroom and an eat-in kitchen...that is, until we got a note under our door telling us we had to switch rooms. Our new room was much smaller with twin beds and a tiny bathroom...this wasn't the problem though, the problem was we were placed right next to the office/kitchen and dining area...as in we shared a wall. Starting at around 5:30 am we could hear the staff getting ready for the 7:00 am breakfast clanking dishes and chatting and laughing away, they might as well have been in our room with us it was so loud. Needless to say we were not pleased and we were very tired as a result the next day. All in all, this made the stay not so pleasant...the rooms weren't incredible, but they weren't awful either. If you do decide to reserve a room here, request one down the hall from the kitchen/office/dining area.

3 Thank sarahann212
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

Visited Reykjavik for two and a half days with a friend. Arrived very early in the morning and were happily greeted and allowed to store our luggage before check-in (2pm). Staff was friendly, but not very forthcoming with info about the city. Their free breakfasts + wifi made up for it, though.

Rooms were standard, but could have used a fan for ventilation.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Reykjavik, Iceland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

This guesthouse offered very affordable accommodation only a 5 minute walk from the centre of Reykjavik. After booking a room at this guesthouse, we were concerned about the number of negative reviews online. We were relieved once we arrived that the staff were helpful and both the rooms and bathrooms were clean on the main floor we were staying on. The breakfast although basic, was very good offering bread, cereals and some fruit, cheese and ham. We arrived late and did have to make a phone call to check in - which would could have posed a problem if we didn't have a mobile with us. All in all, we think the guesthouse must have improved a great deal following the older, negative reviews we read online.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Aurora, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

We stayed have because there was no other rooms avaible. Found the place very old and ruin down but the amount of time spent in the room was worth the cheap price. We had a private room, very clean with a small kitchen. On the plus side close to city centre, breakfast was good and cheap price. on the downside very old, water smells like sulfar. The owner does take 30 mins to show up but was pleasant.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kgtravel70
Budapest, Hungary
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2009

The rudest owner on the planet must be Einar, who 'ru(i)ns' a quite cheap guesthouse.
If you are travelling by car, be sure that there's NO parking lot for you, which is obviously the opposite to what you are promised on their website.
As mentioned by others there is NO reception, you have to wait for him to come and give you the keys. Then all he does is to keep repeating how much you have to pay for the room, like you were a complete idiot. While other staff are quite helpful, Einar makes this place a disturbing one, that no one wants to visit anymore.
I have to admit that this guesthouse is quite a cheap solution to your stay in Reykjavík, but do consider to pay a little more, to enjoy icelandic hospitality as this truly exists, but not in this place.
For all of us who were ashamed (and that's not an overstatement) please make us a favour and avoid this place.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple