“Smaller friendly hotel”
Review of Hotel Calypso

Hotel Calypso
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Marsalforn
Reviewed 21 November 2017

Situated directly on the waterfront harbour of this small town on the charming island of Gozo. A modern hotel with a small rooftop pool and bar.
Room was very spacious and nicely decorated in pastel colours. En-suite bathroom wasadequte but very small and extra space could have been taken from the bedroom. All very clean.
Restaurant on 1st floor is large with a very good breakfast selection of hot and cold alternatives including an egg station. Dinner is waiter served comprising 4 courses and coffee / tea with a choice of at least 3 dishes per course apart from the antipasta entree.
A more relaxing experience after the more tourist group hotels of the main Malta island.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 November 2017

I arrived in late night and get warm welcome.Hotel staff was friendly, thoughtful, and very helpful.It was my first solo stay and also first 4 stars hotel.So I was very happy with everything.They have great big breakfast buffete with so many choices and possibility see the sea from table.And dinner in restaurant was best meals I ever eat in restaurant.
I was feeling absolutly relax.The rooms are cleaned everyday.If there was any question receptionists was very helpful.I get info for the buses, for trip to visit Maltas mainland and what to see.And also trip to Comino.I have nice room and I would say then the hotel do deserves all 5 stars.Ou almost forget they have small spa treatments.I did salt one:)).
If I ever choose giong to Malta then I will choose Calypso at first choise.
And for hotel stuff I'm very greatfull for care they have it.Thank you very Much!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 November 2017

The Calypso, situated on the water's edge overlooking the lovely bay of Marsalforn. From the moment you enter the hotel you know you will enjoy your stay. Small but so is Gozo. Most rooms overlook the bay but not all, it is well worth asking for a sea view. The rooms are a decent size, shower and bath.
Dining is a pleasure. Waiter service, good menu and tasty food. On the 6th floor overlooking the bay is a' la cart dining.Not visited. Also on the 6th floor a small sunset bar.
Ground floor. Wellness Service. a Small lounge.
This is a well run hotel with very helpful staff. A pleasant stay.
Peter m.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 November 2017

We stayed here for our 50th wedding anniversary and was upgraded to a junior suite with 3 balconies all looking at the sea! What a wonderful surprise..We will never forget our stay here! Suite was fantastic and views incredible. Staff at the hotel so friendly and helpful..Breakfast was delicious. Everything you would ever want and healthy choices as well. Nice fresh omelettes cooked every morning...Location was great and we walked to many wonderful restaurants on the sea..Parking was free just a 5 minute or so walk away...Lovely little pebble beach where people were swimming...We would like to thank the manager for the fantastic upgrade as it really made our trip special...Hope one day to return to this hotel...

Room Tip: Definitely a room with a balcony is a great perk
Reviewed 30 October 2017

From the moment we arrive until the moment of our departure my wife and I were treated to the very best in service. Our room with bay view was very spacious, absolutely spotless and conducive to total relaxation, so much so that during a three day storm I began, and later completed three of my best designs this year (I am a Celtic artist who needs both the inspiration of remote places and a totally stress-free environment to produce my best work).
The staff are trained to the highest standards and obviously enjoy working in this premier establishment under the omnipresent father figure, Manager Sammy Rapa, a legend in the Gozo hospitality sector. When my wife asked for a softer pillow one day, we returned from a snorkelling trip to find a veritable array of different pillows in our room from which to make a selection. Dining is an experience equal to the Savoy, with an Italian crew in the kitchen headed up by a Venetian master chef, while the restaurant is supervised by Sammy himself. Every meal was a delight, and every member of the waiting service a veritable role model. Highlight of the visit was a flambe dinner cooked before our very eyes. Thank you Sammy, Salvatore and the charming Melissa, our waiters.
Our room was kept impeccably clean by our chambermaid, Annabell, and the reception staff led by Inge could not have been more helpful.
We have just visited our travel agent and paid our deposit for next year's visit to Hotel Paradiso, also known to us as the Calypso Hotel, Marsalforn, Island of Gozo.

Room Tip: Bay view rooms are bigger but view is less than sea view.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

My wife and I have not been for the Sunday buffet lunch for a while but as ever the atmosphere was lovely the food delicious could not be faulted,and made all the better by the general manager and very professional and attentive staff.
We shall not leave it so long before our next visit.

1  Thank Timothy P
Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

An email got us a room to help with my quite difficult mobility problems, ok I could list all the minor improvements that could help, and if they get in touch room 302, left 23/10/17, Nigel-higgs@talktalk.net, I will discuss how they can add value for little or no cost.
The "upgrade" to disabled was superb and much appreciated as I was having a bad period of my illness, and had to stay room bound for extended periods.
The room, large, well equipped, fridge for meds, blankets for the night, low sinks high bogs, clean all over, wheel in shower, low sink, almost a sink, wheelchair provided low lights all the bits I needed and more
This is a volume tourism hotel, we paid for a basic cheap room and got luxury thank you calypso, thank you so much.

This is not a boutique hotel or a special needs hotel it caters for the mass market and in fairness we did not see other rooms except by being a bit nosy, I suspect at minimum they were adequate, but we got value for money 100 times over.

100's of niggles that things could have been better mostly beyond the hotels control, here's a FEW that were they did well.

Clean, wheelchair friendly, great staff, gozitans don't smile much, but these were nice genuine efficient guys, breakfasts omg the breakfast, my last meal a calypso breakfast please, no fussing but nothing too much trouble anywhere. room great cleaned daily, looked like an excellent evening menu, sorry but too much other stuff on the local doorstep. Others did recommend. Location, busses, shops bars etc all in close vicinity but low key and quiet. Quiet compared to say Malta resorts.
I don't give a 10 as all things are related to price, mood and expectation, all I can say is for what we paid I left as a very happy customer.
Feel free to email me remember this is my opinion yours will differ.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marsalforn
5.2 km away
Hotel Ta' Cenc & Spa
#1 of 3 in Sannat
6.1 km away
Saint Patrick's Hotel

Been to Hotel Calypso? Share your experiences!