All reviews sea view rooftop pool marsalforn bay reception staff waiter service lovely hotel small beach bed and breakfast basis sun deck mini bar restaurant staff would highly recommend this hotel local restaurants breakfast was excellent the general manager cold meats the hotel is clean
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We had a sea view room with a large balcony on the 5th floor, room very comfortable, view stunning. Breakfast buffet was awesome, all the chefs were friendly and most accommodating with requests for poached eggs, the head waiter was also attentive, the barman on the 6th floor was also attentive. We’ll be booking again for next September.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
CalypsoHotelGozo, Administration at Hotel Calypso, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Susie F,

Thank You for taking the time to review Hotel Calypso.

We are very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay at Hotel Calypso, and that you found our rooms to be comfortable and the view to be stunning. We are also very glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast, and that you found our Restaurant and Culinary Teams to be accommodating and friendly. We take great pride in the efficiency of our staff, who go to great lengths to ensure that our guests' needs are met, and we derive great satisfaction from knowing that such efforts are appreciated by our guests.

We thank you for choosing Hotel Calypso, and look forward to having the pleasure of your company again in the future. Please do not hesitate to get in touch at reservations@hotelcalypsogozo.com should there be any way we would be able to assist you in placing a Reservation.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed for 13 nights, room was ok one of the beds was very hard , breakfast was good, so much to choose from.
The roof top pool was fine ,we didn’t find it hard to get a place to sun bath .
Think the hotel could do with a make over as some of it was out dated.
It’s a lovely area of Gozo .

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Debbie T,

Thank You for taking the time to review Hotel Calypso.

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and our swimming-pool, and that you found our rooms to be quite satisfactory.

We are sorry, however, to hear about one of the beds, and truly apologise for not having had the opportunity to remedy this situation during your stay, as it could have easily been changed had we been made aware of it. Nevertheless, in view of your suggestion regarding a make-over, you might also be glad to hear that we will be carrying out some work and renovations over the Winter months, as part of our attempts to retain and further enhance our quality and service.

We thank you for choosing Hotel Calypso, and we truly hope to have the pleasure of your company again in the future.

Reviewed September 13, 2018 via mobile

Stayed for seven nights. The hotel is in a good location close to bars and good restaurants although apart from smugglers cove can be quite pricey for both food and drink.
Hotel rooms very clean, big airy, roof top pool although a small sunbathing area always had beds available as most people go diving or off on trips. A helpful gent on reception and one very nice lady apart from that the staff are quite aloof and don’t bother with you even certain staff on reception don’t even lift their heads as you pass. When I checked out I had to tell the girl i had a good holiday as she was not bothered. The staff in the restaurant apart from the guy doing the eggs and omelettes were not particularly friendly which was a shame. Breakfast good.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2018

The Calypso Hotel Marsalforn Bay, Gozo is nowhere near being a 4* hotel, it barely makes it to 3* in my opinion. I am comparing this hotel to a 4* hotel my husband and I stay in twice a year in Gran Canaria and there is no comparison.

The only good thing I have to say about this hotel is that 75% of the staff were very pleasant, the remainder were rude and ill-mannered.

The roof is where the pool and sunbeds are, as is the pool bar and evening dining room/area.
The pool is miniscule, it states maximum 17 persons. I am assuming they mean 17 persons all sat around the inside ledge as there would certainly not be room for 17 people standing in the middle. When there are children in the pool there is no way you can get in and relax as they take up the entire pool, children will be children. There are 30 sunbeds for the entire hotel clientele (90+ rooms) which obviously is nowhere near enough. On top of that, although it states “pool and sunbeds for guests only” I sat next to two women who were not guests at the hotel and was told by them “we are allowed to use the pool and sunbeds as long as we buy drinks from the pool bar” this was followed by one of them getting a bottle of wine out of a carrier bag and pouring the contents into two glasses. All this happened whilst six French people were sharing one sunbed (I am not exaggerating).

The food at the hotel left a lot to be desired, supposedly Italian Chefs, well I’m glad I have been to Italy, so I know Italian Chefs can cook, the majority of these Chefs cannot. If you like your egg/omelette brown/burnt on the bottom and the white still clear and uncooked, fine. If you like your bacon like cardboard, fine. In the evening the best part of the meal was the soup couldn’t fault it, the rest of the meal was mediocre at best.

The room I was in was adequate, I booked a sea view room which had a view over the bay. The bathroom was very tiny, I could touch two walls with my arms out-stretched and in the other direction I had to bend my arm at the elbow to stretch. On the balcony which was not big enough for a small table just two folding chairs, there was no facility to dry your swim wear.

Would I go back to this hotel – NO. Would I recommend this hotel – NO

Room Tip: If you go choose a Sea View room
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank ladyyellalot
Reviewed August 28, 2018

Nice large, clean and comfortable room with a huge balcony overlooking bay. We were B&B and breakfast was buffet style with attendant omelette/egg chef, loads of choice of fresh fruit, continental or British style meals all attended by polite and friendly staff in a large airy restaurant again overlooking bay. We ate in a couple of evenings although the town is full of good little eating establishments. Dinner in roof top restaurant was good with attendant and friendly maître de. Happy hour was spent in the company of Genghis the barman in the roof top bar, that hour turned into a couple of hours on a few occasions and a good time was had by all. The only reason that I am not giving 5 * is that our friends in another room had a devil of a time with their room fridge and it took a couple of unsuccessful repairs before management/service would replace it, this went on for a couple of days and had a detrimental effect on our friends experience.

Stayed: October 2017
2  Thank hughcardy
CalypsoHotelGozo, Administration at Hotel Calypso, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2018

Dear hughcardy,

Thank You for taking the time to review Hotel Calypso.

We are very pleased to hear that our rooms and location were to your liking, and that you enjoyed our varied breakfast. We are also glad to note that you had the opportunity to join us for Dinner, and that the fare prepared by our Culinary Team met your expectations. It is with great pride that we read your kind words regarding our members of Staff, particularly Dzengis. Our Staff puts in tremendous effort to ensure that all our guests' needs are met, and we therefore derive great satisfaction from knowing that such efforts are appreciated. Rest assured that your comments will be shared with all respective members of staff.

We are very sorry to note that your friends had an issue with their minibar. In fact, we will shortly be effecting some upgrades to our rooms, and it is through such feedback that we are able to ensure that such inconveniences are seen to and action taken to prevent them from happening again.

We thank you for choosing Hotel Calypso, and hope to have the pleasure of your company again in the future.