“Favourite cafe in Malta”

Fontanella Tea Garden
Ranked #2 of 2 Dessert in Mdina
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

This place is amazing. Views over the Malta countryside. You can sit outdoors or indoors and the glass panels mean the view is always visible. There’s loads of cakes and cheesecakes on the menu, they’re huge and really tasty and considering the location not badly priced either. Milkshakes and coffees also good. 100% recommend!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,156)

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

We visited Mdina at Easter and stumbled across this beautiful little tea room. It was extremely busy but staff very attentive and we were seated quickly. We ordered coffee and huge slices of cake which were delicious. Other customers ordered lunch and the portions looked big also. Cost was good considering the location.

Reviewed April 4, 2018

We had very little time to spend in Mdina and I chose to finish our visit with some cake at Fontanella Tea Garden.

I went in very much expecting it to be a tourist trap, so no high expectations.

The place was packed, but I had a look around and was able to grab a table with a nice view quite quickly.

Staff were very busy and hurried, but when we signalled to the waiter, we did not have to wait long. Service was efficient and polite but not chatty - expect them to serve you and not to contribute to a cozy atmosphere.

I think the key here is to not wait for staff to come to you.

I had chocolate cake and iced tea. Good cake, not the best chocolate cake ever (but then I have had a lot of chocolate cake in my life).

I was pleasantly surprised by the prices. For a popular place in a touristy old city centre, the cake and drinks were not expensive.

To summarize: I liked Fontanella because I got to eat something with chocolate on a sunny terrace on a high view point for a reasonable price.

I was not overwhelmed by the experience but it didn't feel like a tourist trap either.

Reviewed April 3, 2018

Anyone going to Malta MUST go to Mdina and these tearooms.... the cake choices... out of this world... along with the views... ask to sit upstairs....

Well worth a visit...

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

Amazing place with a wide selection of cakes. Sometimes some cakes are not that rich in quality but rather in quantity, but the majority is usually delicious too. Don't miss it if in the area.