“All the advantages of a brand new establishment yet disorganized and inhospitable”
Review of Royiatiko Hotel

Royiatiko Hotel
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Nicosia
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed 18 November 2010

We stayed in the hotel with my husband when we visited the island for a conference. The hotel offers all the advantages of a brand new establishment. The materials used are in excellent condition.
Moreover, it is very close to down town which is very convenient. On the other hand there may be some noise if the room is on the front side. If one is noise sensitive, should definitely avoid the rooms overseeing the swimming pool (rear side) as there is the breakfast / coffee area with a t.v. This enclosed yard, unfortunately functions as a speaker, intensifying all noises. The rooms are small, as it is customary with the new hotels nowadays. Considering the size of the bedrooms, the bathrooms are spacious which is an advantage. The breakfast is basic. (Holidays' Inn offers a superior buffet, but two years ago the rooms were in bad condition with 1980s pieces). There are too many textiles used in the window drapery, and too many pillows on the bed, -one is not sure what to do with them or where to place them, in order to sleep on the bed-, but then again I guess this 19th century victorian custom, is our society's proof of luxury. Fortunately there is no carpet on the floor, a situation which balances the dust that is obviously accumulated on the heavy draperies.
We would not have been bothered with all the above since we love Nicosia a great deal(we placed the pillows in the wardrobe and left our clothes in the luggage) and we enjoy visiting. Under normal circumstances our interaction with the staff would have been indifferent. Nothing exceptional.
However, early in the morning the day we were scheduled to leave, a colleague stopped by and left for us a parcel. The receptionist forgot to inform us about it. We left without he parcel and I only found out about it when, upon my return to my desk in Greece, I found an e-mail from my colleague with questions about the material. I called the manager and complained. I do not remember whether she actually did apologize or not because even if she typically used the words "we are sorry" I was infuriated by the tone of her voice which was shockingly rude. The manager tried to stop my complaints by accusing me that I make a big deal of the case and such things happen and should be expected (If I could only tell that to my clients!). Ok! so far so good, I could live with this mishappening. I requested the parcel to be shipped to me. I do not know what shipping and mailing system they used, yet ten days later I still have not received it. The manager does not return my calls and a receptionist replied that it must have been lost in the mail. Even if I were to accept that mistakes happen they should have tried to put an end to their mistakes, they could have at least used a reliable courier, even if that means they would have to pay for it.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Vasiliki189473

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed 26 October 2010

On July 2010, we booked through "booking.com", 2 rooms for September 2010 for three nights, but when we arrived at the hotel Royiatiko, they told us that no rooms were available because the agency "booking.com" did not informed them about our booking. Please note that the next morning the management of the hotel informed the agency of "not shown". They were spelling rediculus causes with no excuse or explanation.
Our opinion is that both firms are not reliable.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Sophia052
N.Ireland
Reviewed 3 August 2010

I was excited reading the reviews left about the Royiatiko Hotel. The bedrooms are small, but very modern and kept very clean. The bar staff are really lovely and friend. I was disgusted when we used the outside facilites, the swimming pool is very small, it looks big on their advertisement. It is constantly surrounded by pigeons and if you want to have a swim, you will have to push the odd feather out of the road as well as not put your feet down in the pool in case you walk on birds crap. Not impressed.
For sunbathers, the pool area only gets full sunshine from 12.30pm-5pm, it has no sun up until then due to high rised buildings.

When you want to see the manager, she is always too busy.

The gym has no air-con, so if you are planning a work out, forget it.

I would NOT stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Herts
Reviewed 18 June 2010

Lovely little boutique style hotel nestled in the heart of Nicosia old town.
I stayed here whilst visiting Nicosia for work for 4 days.
Exceptionally clean (maid service every -yes EVERY- day) & very comfortable room with very effective air con which was helpful during the 43+ degree heat!
Pool to take a dip & cool off after work.
Very friendly & attentive staff that understand the needs of the business traveller & treat every guest like a favourite by attending to your every whim (& remember how you take your frappe!) but never being overbearing, leaving you to peace & quiet just when you need/want it only to re-appear by your side just about the time you might be thinking of another refreshment....
Free internet access available in the rooms & all public areas which was quick & had no connection problems, great to be able to complete paperwork by the pool with a cool drink.. Phones also worked fine both in the room & mobile connection....
Excellent choice & standard of eateries close by & great range of boutiques & shops in the little streets surrounding the hotel which are wonderful to meander through & come alive with local families & tourists at night....
If you like the personal touch want to feel like you actually matter then come here & enjoy!
If you prefer the more aloof & impersonal approach of some of the larger hotels where you are treated like one of the herd - don't bother....
I'll be back as soon as I can be....

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank Loobeeloo
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 9 June 2010

I stayed there for 3 nights!
Location of the hotel is perfect, stuff so friendly, hidden pool in the middle of old town!!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank georgia_lam
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 5 June 2010

I stayed in Nicosia for a friends wedding. Most of the overseas wedding guests stayed at the hotel. The location is nice in the old part of the town - we always waked home which is a nice experience in the small roads of the old town. Sadly neither the phone nor the wireless was working - so no recommendation for business travelers. The breakfast was so la la, but the service was nice. There is no 24h reception service. I will try to find something else next time in Nicosia.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Denmark
Reviewed 13 May 2010

Nothing fancy, but very decent. I liked the pool, only type of exercice you get in that town. Staff was nice and helpful, especially after the first days. Room was nice, with everything you need and the location was good - in old city but not in the middle of the tourist area. Very good hotel for business I'd say.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business