All reviews five star service north cyprus breakfast buffet green line nice hotel top floor free wifi clean rooms place to stay recommend this hotel lobby city business rates comfort bath taxi
Reviewed February 20, 2018

My husband & I don't usually celebrate valentines day and hadn't really remembered what day it was, so it just happened to be that day that we were looking for somewhere nice to dine as it was our last evening in Nicosia.
We came to the Merit in the afternoon to book a table not really knowing what it would be like and we were greeted by a very helpful gentleman who explained there was a set meal for the evening which wasn't in the usual restaurant, he kindly showed us up to floor 9 where we had an amazing view and was advised that what is usually the meeting room would be transformed for the evening of a set menu and live music. Very impressed with the kind service, we booked a table for the evening.

Wow! What an amazing evening. The whole place was set out beautifully with hearts all over, balloons and roses everywhere. The set menu included a feast for a king and plenty of wine. We sat on table 27 and our waiter Ahmet was lovely and very helpful. The traditional Turkish live music really made it a special evening.
In 10 years, this was the best Valentines evening my husband and I have ever had, thank you to everyone involved with the evening, it really was special.

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2017

We had got ourselves a last minute reservation in this hotel after a not-so-kind experience through booking online at another hotel in the city; and what a relief that we did so!
Merit Lefkosa is a great hotel to stay at; the cleanliness of this moderate sized hotel is implacable at every level especially in the rooms, with dedicated housekeeping staff to show for such a nice smelling, spotless and very clean rooms, lobby and corridors. Rooms are well equipped with all needed facilities especially with a very good speed free WiFi.
Breakfast was included in the rate and it was worth every penny. A very large selection of local Cypriot and Turkish hot and cold plates including selection of more than 12 kinds of cheeses, in addition to the omelet and pastry stations, makes the breakfast an enjoyable experience to look for in the coming visits.
The location of the hotel is also very appropriate near the active Derabouy Street where all restaurants and shopping stores are within a walking distance from the hotel. In addition, a main bus stop in the city is just beside the hotel's main entrance. Taxi services are also available from a station near the hotel.
The only limiting factor here is the non-smiling faces of the staff. It is indeed disappointing that even with their customer serving attitude, almost all staff members seem to have a bad work day here at the hotel everyday! The management should take a serious note in that regard and work to capitalize the other assets the hotel have with improvement in service delivery to hotel's guests. Another drawback would be the high room rates even for this out-of-season time.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
4  Thank moaket
Reviewed August 26, 2017

Stayed here for seven nights whilst on business in the area. My first impression of my room was it was in an older style than expected, with dark furniture etc. However that is the style of the hotel. The bathroom was very functional, with bath and good water pressure for the over bath shower. The air conditioning was very powerful, thank goodness as almost 40 degrees outside. The breakfast buffet choice was very good and hot food dishes changed daily, lots of fruit, cheeses, pastries and breads too!. There was the option to eat inside or outside if you had the time to linger over breakfast . Each evening I ordered from the bar menu and ate outside. The food was good and very inexpensive for a hotel. They also have an ottoman kebab restaurant on the top floor which serves a fixed price dinner menu including drinks including wine etc. That seems to be a very good deal too, but I never had the appetite to try it! Maybe next time ......
Room tip book a non smoking room, most rooms allow smoking!

Date of stay: August 2017
Reviewed June 21, 2017 via mobile

I've lived in North Cyprus nearly 25 years and I am usually sceptical of the hotels and restaurants here. They rarely come up to international standards.
However, I'm pleased to tell you that the Merit really is a five star experience.
The entrance to the hotel for cars is only a small layby but yiu really can just drive up and the car will be parked for you. This is a big thing for me and I really enjoyed thus part of the service. The staff on reception are friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, multilingual, and really help you feel at home. The room choice is good and the rooms are well appointed. An Ottoman theme runs through everything in terms of decor. Lots of freebies in the rooms. Much more than I've seen in other 5 stars. Breakfast was a treat. Massive buffet style breakfast. A chef for your individual requests. For example I like eggs in the morning and I had fried eggs cooked to perfection. The breakfast waiters are fast; friendly; efficient and perfect. I used the lobby for a guest and there was a coffee service. There's a lovely garden area too. Coffee was brought with a selection of rich biscuits. I ate at the ottoman restaurant they have too but I'll review thst separately. I did go down to the casino and I've never seen anything like it. Massive. Endless. I thought I was in Vegas. I was visiting somebody and I have no clue what happens in these places. If you are a first-time casino visitor there are plenty of staff to assist.
So I was very pleasantly surprised. I didn't think any hotel in North Cyprus knew how to do service but I've been proved wrong. For a hotel that makes it's living from casino guests it was wonderful to feel a very valued customer by all the staff. They made no value judgements about me or my guests even though they had to park my shabby Subaru in amongst the Audi and Mercedes! I was made to feel special. So if you need to stay in Lefkosa don't hesitate and book. I couldn't fault them and I'm a very fussy person. I wish I was wealthy enough to stay more frequently.

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank kehk
Reviewed May 29, 2017

Niceish hotel, quiet but not in a great area, a lot of litter on the streets around it - for a five star hotel, it doesn't have proper coffee or tea facilities. But we ended up leaving a day early in a three night visit as the whole place smells of cigarettes - this is from the casino which openly leads into the lobby of the hotel AND comes through the AC vents. To make up for the horrible smell, in the mornings they just seem to spray air freshener and then the whole place, including the rooms, smells like chemical lemons... so I find it very hard to say anything nice about the place because of this - the room service menu is completely unimaginative as well, a lot of room for improvement, but the first thing is finding a way of preventing the cigarette smoke getting into the air conditioning vents.... to be be fair to the hotel, they didn't charge us for leaving early and gave us our second night for free. The lady on reception was completely understanding and had taken our complaint to the GM who sanctioned the refund - so they are aware that this is a problem they just need to fix it!

Room tip: Avoid if you had cigarette smoke!
Date of stay: May 2017