New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Better in summer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Great for horse lovers or anyone interested in the Spanish riding school. I would recommend going in Summer when all the foals are born, we actually didn't get to see any foals and it was really cold.

Visited February 2012
2 Thank KyJ339

Perth, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Beautiful place, magnificent horses”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

I have loved Lipizzaner horses since I was a child, and had always wanted to visit the Spanish Riding School in Vienna. When we decided to visit Graz during our trip to Austria, I was determined to go to Piber - although I thought I would miss out as I got very sick with the flu when we reached Graz, but come hell or high water I was determined to go, so we managed to make it on our last day! We took the little train out to Koflach (just warning, if you are travelling on a Eurail pass, it is NOT valid on this train line - we knew that, but another unfortunate traveller didn't!). It was a delightful little train trip, through some beautiful countryside, and took about an hour. There were taxi/hire cars waiting at the train station, so we caught one to Piber - about a 5 minute trip, only costing a few Euros. The stud farm is a beauiful place, set amongst rolling green hills, and we spent several hours wandering around and taking in the various buildings and displays and spending as much time as possible visiting the magnificent Lipizzaners, from young foals right up to the stud stallions - it was a dream come true, especially being able to get up close and touch these beautiful horses (take the chance to go to Piber, if you can, as if you visit the Spanish Riding School in Vienna, you are not allowed to touch any of the stallions there). Apparently they do offer a guided tour of the stud in English, but you have to book ahead, so we didn't worry, it was quite easy for us to find our way around - although be aware that most of the signage is in German, as are things like the farrier demonstration. We actually walked back to Koflach, which took about 40 minutes, took the train back to Graz.
A very worthwhile visit, and highly recommended.

Visited November 2010
5 Thank Jurahn
Westchester , NY
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“A bit of a hike ..... kids liked it .......”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

I guess i'm getting jaded in my old age but to me , a horse is a horse is a horse and the Lippinzanners are another horse . Kids loved it . You can get up real close and touch horses . We were a bit miffed there were no horses in fields at all like my wife said she had seen in her youth visitin the farm . Back then there were a few outdoor restaurants you had a meal at ( cheap ) and then you wandered around fields where the horses were . today , highly organized tour in stables .......... ( iwish i had seen in old days ) . The onsite bar is a clip joint . It was 95 degrees when we were there and a bottle of water cost more than a bottle of beer ( like $5-6 for a $1-2 bottle of water ...... spent $30+ for a water break for my 3 kids and my wife ) .....

Visited July 2011
2 Thank ryecapital
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fun for horse (and animal) lovers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

We had toured the stables in Vienna the previous day so we had a 50% off coupon (you need one per person).

As others have said, the tours are in German. However, you can wander around on your own if you don't speak German. We had a great time there (bring a lunch as the restaurant is closed and the snack bar only had frankfurters...).

The horses, including one foal, were very friendly and most would let you pet them.

If you have little girls, every one of the little girls we saw there was having the time of their lives.

1 Thank Admranger
Dayton, Ohio
112 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 330 helpful votes
“it closes at 1700, even in summer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

If you are wanting to get a full experience of these amazing horses, then show up in the morning. We did not arrive until 1500 and all the horses were already in the stables. Still had to pay 12 euro per adult though. You don't have to be on an organized tour, and they are all in German anyway. In fact, you can walk around for free if and go into the museum, and if the horses are in the yard, then you could see that for free as well. (The paid ticket is for the stable). My wife and kids really wanted to see this, and they had a blast as the horses are quite friendly (you can touch them). I'm indifferent to horses so all I kept thinking was 24 euro for 2 is expensive!

Visited June 2011