US$85
Hotel Sandwirth(Klagenfurt)
US$131
US$90
Savings alert! 27% below average rates

The price you found is 27% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$124/night.

Hotel Rosch(Klagenfurt)
  • Room Service
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed November 2, 2014

I was just one night in Klagenfurt on a business trip, so I did not have the chance to get to know all details of this hotel, but for this one night, it was just excellent. The room had a lot of space with all the comfort you need, the bathroom was also huge and had some extra features in the shower. While you might miss a bathtub, the shower had a steam bath function and even a sauna function which compensates more than enough for the missing bathtub.
The breakfast was also very nice, you could get all the fresh coffee varieties you need (e.g. Espresso, Capucchino etc.), fresh made omelettes or scrambled eggs additional to the usual breakfast stuff like break, sausages, butter and cheese. Of course fresh fruits were available, too. I especially liked the parma ham which was cut fresh.
The service at the reception was good, although I didn't have much requests.
Overall, there were just some smaller issues which could trouble you, but as mentioned, I just stayed one night and they were no major issue for me. For example, there were no stairs to get to the first floor (only outside stairs for emergency?), only an elevator, which might be annoying, if you have to go to room very often.

Stayed: October 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MichaelStrasser
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Have stayed here a number of times. The location of the hotel is perfect. On the shore of the Lake which is amazing. You can walk for miles, swim in the lake or jump on a bus into town. The car park is free to park in and there's an overflow if it gets busy.

The rooms are large and well equipped. As in Europe, there is no kettle, so don't expect one. There are vending machines and a bar downstairs for coffee and light snacks etc.

We have been coming to Klagenfurt for over a lifetime and now only stay in Plattenwirt.

Room Tip: The hotel has recently been refurbished. The older side is more 'Austrian'.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Don't know where to start. Some good points; several bad. I usually write very lengthy reviews and want to forewarn people about this hotel, but I don't feel like spending a lot of time and effort on this place.

Good:

It is a 2 min. walk to the lake
Free parking
Room was okay (clean, working tv, bed comfortable)
Female kitchen/breakfast staff was polite and smiling (name unknown)
Selection of breakfast food was okay, but with a caveat (see below)

Bad:

1. Internet did not work during my stay, but did not find this out until AFTER I got the room. After struggling with it for 1 hour and continuously trying to get online I told the receptionist (Rita) that I wanted to go to another hotel that had working internet. She said fine, but she would have to charge me a 1/2 day rate. I said I had only been there 1 hr. or less, but that did not matter to her. THIS, to me, was extremely unreasonable considering I did not get what was advertised and expected. I should have been allowed to leave with no charge. She said she would charge me, so I stayed. That made me feel trapped...a feeling I don't like.

2. Just prior to 0700 the next morning I was rudely and abruptly awoken by a painter preparing to paint the hallway right in front of my door (room #105). 7:00 a.m. !!!!!!!!!!! Moving ladders, tearing tape, unfolding tarps, carrying and setting down equipment........all at 7 in the morning !!! This was a ridiculous time to start manual labor considering we were sleeping 10 feet away. Very unprofessional of the hotel. I did not blame the painter, as I assumed he was a contractor and had a job to do. When I complained to the manager (Ulrike; NOT the owner) she smugly said to me, "Well, when else are we supposed to do it?" I was shocked at her response and said any time AFTER a reasonable hour in the morning like 9 or 10 a.m. would be acceptable. OR you could have informed me that this work was going to be done the next morning and I could have chosen a different room, but I was not afforded that gesture.

Note: The hotel was far from fully booked. In fact, I only saw about 20 people there, so there would have been many other room choices I could have had. She then said, "Well the work had to be done," to which I replied, "At 7 a.m.?" She said it needed to be done, so it would be completed for the guests the following week. This is when I felt VERY INSIGNIFICANT as a guest: I said oh, am I not a guest? Are next weeks guests more important than me? She said you obviously have not enjoyed your stay here, to which I agreed, adding that guests should never be woken up at 7 a.m. barring an unavoidable incident.

I continued by saying the painter could have done most of the prep work the night/day before (when people were awake or not even in the hotel) and then when he would arrive at 7 a.m. he could paint until his heart's content because it is a quiet form of manual labor and the painting would not bother or wake anyone. She had no comment. I felt like I was talking to a wall. Why did I have to explain to the manager of a large hotel about manual labor times and when it is and is not appropriate?

3. I also complained to the manager about a male kitchen staff member who cooked the eggs for the guests. He was EXTREMELY RUDE, impolite, had a very nasty disposition and made me and my son feel completely unwelcome and as if we were a burden to him. He never smiled once or even greeted us, but rather gave us dirty looks, made rude verbal comments when I wanted to use the toaster (he told me I should not toast my dark bread, but only white bread. He added that no one ever toasts that kind of bread. I found that odd as I have toasted white and dark bread my whole life) and after cooking our eggs for us he just pointed to where he had left the plates, instead of handing them to us or physically walking us to the location of the plates. In fact, he should have informed us the second the eggs were done and handed the plates to us.....we were standing only a few meters away. He even stared at us in a very strange manner for an uncomfortably long period of time. He looked very angry, like he was called in to work on his day off and blamed us. That is the feeling I got. I felt very uneasy around him. No guest should ever feel this way around the staff.

When I mentioned this to the manager, Ulrike, she said he is never in the dining room, only the kitchen. I said well the entire time we ate breakfast he was in the dining room around us and the other guests. She reiterated that he is hired as kitchen help only and does not associate with the guests. I said well he is associating with the guests and he is very unfriendly. She repeated herself in a very rude manner saying he does not deal with the guests. I said why is he in the dining room then? No comment from the manager. I added that even though he is assigned to the kitchen, as I had been for years when I worked in restaurants as a cook, from time to time you have to enter the dining room for whatever reason and it is your duty/obligation to treat the customers politely and smile. He not only did neither of the aforementioned, but acted in a very negative manner. I said just because u keep repeating that he is not assigned to deal with the guests don't u think it is important that he is friendly when he DOES enter the dining area? No comment. I asked her his name so I could inform the owners of his terrible behavior, but the manager refused to give me his name. At first she said, "I don't know." I replied, "You don't know the name of your cook/colleague who is working right now as we speak or you are refusing to tell me his name? to which she replied yes, she will not give me his name.

I ended this complaint because I knew I was getting nowhere fast and I also knew that the owners would surely know who I will be speaking of when I write directly to them (the hotel is not THAT big that they would not know him, plus I will refer them to (and I refer the Trip Advisor readers to) another recent review from "Vmr330 - Nice hotel by the lake" who complains about the same male cook.

I was appalled at not only the cooks behavior, but the managers, as well. She seemed to be covering for his bad personality and was making excuses for him. I've been a manager, as well, and you should NEVER make the customer feel bad or alienated in any way. Listen to what they have to say, apologize and tell the guest you will forward the information immediately to the owners. A hotel guest writing in to Trip Advisor should not have to explain to a manager how to do her job.

4. While the breakfast buffet had a moderate variety of choices some comments need to be made here:

The area where all of the meats and coldcuts were smelled as if some of the items had gone bad and were spoiled. I know that smell from years in the restaurant business. Most of it should have been thrown away in my opinion.

The juice machine did not work properly. I was unable to get any type of juice out of it, while my son was able to get some very watered down apple juice out of the machine.

5. To get hot water in the shower took so long (approx. 6-8 minutes) that I was about to call the front desk and ask them what the problem was because I had never had that problem before. It didn't even get warm; it was ice cold for 6-8 minutes. I don't like to waste water and this seemed extreme to me to have to wait that long. It finally got hot and I was able to take a shower.

VERY, VERY disappointing stay and, again, I was shocked and appalled by the manner in which my son and I were treated by the manager (Ulrike), Rita and the male cook. The female dining room staff was very pleasant and had a warm, friendly smile for each guest.

I will be cutting and pasting this review and sending it to the owners. I not only want them to know the bad about their hotel, but the good as well and the female staff member was a bright spot. Didn't get her name, but a quick check of the work schedule will let them know who it is.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2014

For the most part my family and I enjoyed our 4-nights in this owner-operated hotel. It's not a 4 Star hotel based on US standards. The room was nice, but was a little small for our taste. The front desk staff was very nice and helpful. The owners was very nice and smiled every opportunity. The hotel is in a great location near the local beach (we didn't have to pay because it was included in the United World Games costing.) The breakfast was included in the room cost. Breakfast is a typical European breakfast. My only and main complaint was the lack of friendliness of the cook. He was rude and verbally disrespectful on two occasions. The last occurring on the morning of our departure. I asked for a fully cooked eggs for my son and I and when it wasn't prepared properly I requested it to be cooked more. The cook was rude and was verbally disrespectful. He even came to my table with a nasty attitude and gave me a nasty look and made a rude comments. If I'm back for the UWG, we may stay here again because of its location and the nice owners.

Room Tip: There is not gym...Upgrade to a comfort room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2014

…recently built, with a wide free private parking, 4/5 km. from the center of Klagenfurt. Smart, generously sized and well-equipped (TV Bang & Olufsen!) bedroom, large bathroom with Teuco shower cubicle. Excellent breakfast. Fantastic value for money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo