All reviews afternoon tea lovely hotel prominent position updated rooms half term hot tub ski holiday the hotel staff ski hire shop special thanks easy access to the slopes food was amazing relaxation area course dinner boot room inghams bridge
Reviewed January 14, 2018 via mobile

Lovely hotel with very friendly staff and an excellent bar. The food and dining area is incredible for all meals of the day with amazing panoramic views, fresh pistes in the morning and pistebashers in the evening. The food itself was amazing and so was the service. The spa and pool is very nice and suits every need. The boot room is nice and spacious with good sized lockers and easily accessible, the ski shop located on the bottom floor of the hotel is also very convenient and quick and easy. The room was of a very high standard and very spacious with good views. The location is good with a short uphill walk to the slopes across the bridge and an easy walk down again. An umbrella bar is located near the bridge, but if you're young and looking for a party, Obertauern lacks places, with only a few lively bars a 10 minute walk away. However the hotel is amazing and I can't fault a single thing would highly recommend.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed March 28, 2017

We booked this for our half term (Feb) ski holiday with our 2 older boys (16 & 12). We opted for 2 twin rooms (Austrian twins which we knew about and boys fine about it as separate quilts as well as mattresses). The hotel has had all the public rooms and some (possibly most?) bedrooms renovated in a very stylish but cosy way, but our rooms were the old style, which although very clean, comfortable and warm didn't have the wow factor. We were not really bothered as we spent little time in there anyway! (I have no idea if you pay more for the updated rooms, if not might be worth requesting one).
The spa and pool are very modern and well equipped, although being half term the pool was certainly not quiet at 5pm!! The hotel has an excellent boot room, with heated lockers and a door which led to the road which was a walk (downhill) of about 100m to the nearest slope access. Not a problem.
The restaurant was very good, with quite a gourmet menu - think 6 courses which frequently included "foam" (much amusement for the sons). It did all get a bit much after 3 days for my (generally very unadventurous) 12 year old, and we had noticed a large group on another table with their children having fish fingers, so we enquired and son was converted onto kids menu which was fab. (Not sure how we didn't know about it - Inghams might want to look at that). He still got all the same salad buffet etc but a simpler main and dessert.
As a wine drinker I found the prices in the hotel to be pretty high - think the cheapest glass (125ml) was 6 Euro, which for a very small glass (by my standards!) was pretty hefty. I drank less on this holiday than I can ever remember!
The hotel staff were excellent, nothing was too much trouble (I broke my glasses and a tube of supaglue appeared in seconds)
I would highly recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2017

The Kohlmayr Royal enjoys a prominent position overlooking the ski slopes at one end of the village. Access to the slopes is a short walk of about 200 metres from the hotel across bridge 5 over the main road through the resort. Refurbished over recent years, the hotel is stylish with careful use of timber and stone to reflect the local area and traditions and is immaculately furnished. Accommodation is excellent with no problems of noise during the night. The dining room enjoys great views over the valley and the food is excellent in terms of choice and quality with wonderful service to match featuring staff in traditional costume, many of whom are multilingual. The bar and lounge areas are both welcoming and cosy, including an open fire, with outstanding service especially from Fritz, the Hungarian born barman. All the staff were very friendly and helpful and only too willing to make sure that my stay was first rate. The hotel has its own on site ski hire shop and boasts a large pool and spa area with qualified staff available for treatments. A hotel well worth staying at for an enjoyable ski holiday.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed March 20, 2017

My sister booked this hotel through Inghams. She booked a twin room for me and my other sister. We are both in our 60s. When we arrived the hotel was fully booked and we discovered that we were expected to share a double bed (two mattresses side by side in a double bed frame). This (Inghams told us when we immediately rang them courtesy of hotwl reception) was an 'Austrian Twin'. The hotel had never heard of this and only advertised doubles.
Inghams were useless. The hotel had a cancellation and offered us a bigger room (the double and a convertible sofa bed) which was quite a bit more costly. Inghams resort rep was to be blunt rude and unhelpful when I suggested that they pay the difference.
The hotel staff were sympathetic and gave us the upgrade for free. We had a lovely room overlooking the slopes. The food was amazing (especially the tea - who needs lunch?), the spa clean and relaxing. Big pool and jacuzzi.
Thank you to everyone at the hotel for making our stay so special. And it goes without saying a HUGE thumbs down to Inghams - we will never ever use them again.

Room Tip: Wifi fine in public areas but not in rooms. Rooms cosy and warm
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed March 1, 2017

This is a very nice hotel, modern but still cosy. Nice and comfortable rooms. Service is good, especially in the bar! The bartender is sucha a nice guy!
Food is absolutely exellent, fresh, inovative and delicious. And by no means should you miss the Spa! A treat for the tired body and mind. If going to Obertauern, don't miss this hotel!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family