“Very unfriendly ”

Ranked #1,514 of 4,770 Restaurants in Vienna
Neighbourhood: Mariahilf
Neighbourhood: Mariahilf
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

I had written a review of this place some time ago. Their service was never really friendly, but I enjoy their veggie thali (albeit overpriced). I was there with a friend, who had never been there and the staff was not only inattentive but as some other reviewers wrote in their reviews- actually nasty. Our waiter actually yelled at us because I ordered another glass of wine and when he came I wanted to order more naan and he was annoyed that I didn’t order both together. We didn’t tip and when we left he gave us a really aggressive look. Not going back ever, so who cares.

2  Thank Chloe C

Reviewed April 3, 2018

I came with my nephew after having eaten at Rani before. First of all we got a small table against the wall in the back although the place was only half full. The waiter was as grumpy as they get. He acted like it was a huge imposition for him to take our order (and we ordered quite a lot during the evening- and each time we asked for something he seemed to get more and more annoyed). . The food was good- not spectacular but good. The mini-lazy susan with indian condiments given to us was almost empty- we were afraid to ask the nasty waiter to fill it up, so just left it. We did finally insist that they bring us napkins, though... I would have ordered more bread- but again getting the waiter's attention was a task and when you would ask him politely for something he would just scowl. Stupidly I gave a very decent tip- which I now regret. When we left there was not thank you or good bye nothing. I have to add that I speak fluent German and English, so it was not a language issue. I did see our waiter shouting aggressively at another waitress, so maybe there was some other problem.

1  Thank MIchkoM
Reviewed February 26, 2018 via mobile

Continuing eating out in Vienna visited Rani, Webgrasse near Westbanhof metro. Family owned and 40 years open. Great atmosphere and very charming staff. One owner did Business degree in UK so impeccable English which helps me! Excellent menu choice though not vast. I had a beef dopiaza my wife a chicken house special. Nan bread, pickles etc. Try the mixed starter at 6.5 euros. Yummy. The bill for two courses, coffee , 4 g and t and 2 beers was 75 euro. Not at all bad for the ambience and quality food. Booking is strongly advised as was full on our visit at 7 pm Thursday night. Do give it a try. Andrew Mitchell

1  Thank M3232TEandrewm
Reviewed February 24, 2018

First is that the portions are small but price high very much over.we had the malai kofta i remeber this food as very tasty from india and even from other indian restaurants here it was medium something was missing from the real taste add to this small portion and it was very medium
Chiken tandury one of my favoriets in indian food should be soft spicy full of taste also jucy. Here it was grilled 4 small pices of chiken in red paste not jucy not spicy not tasty at all. Same the lumb. 4 tiny overcooked pices. Rise was hard as it was cooked day before and warm in the microwawe. The nan bread was more like big pita bread luck.

1  Thank Dima R
Reviewed January 22, 2018

This restaurant is located near our hotel and we decided to give it a try,we were pleasantly surprised and walked out very satisfied.