“Pretty Good Hotel”

Senator Hotel Vienna
Ranked #186 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I stayed in this hotel for three nights with a family member. Our room was clean, comfortable and quiet. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. We paid a bit extra in order to have the breakfast buffet. It was pretty good with a varied selection and only lacking in hot food. The hotel is located within the city limits, but you have to get the tram and metro in order to get to any of the main sightseeing areas (about 30 minutes total). However, the tram stop is just a few yards walk from the hotel. My only criticisms would be that you have to pay extra for wi-fi access and one day our room was not cleaned. Apart from this I would definitely recommend the hotel if you are looking for reasonably priced journey and don't mind using public transport to get to the main part of the city.

Stayed: April 2012

Reviewed 7 April 2012

We stayed here for 3 niights and found the whole experience fantastic. We managed to get a great deal through Hotels.com so 3 nights only cost us about £140- amazing considering that a great buffet breakfast was included. the rooms were clean, modern, new,fresh & everything worked fine. The reception was helpful & polite. I found the whole place faultless.
The 43 tram stops right outside and there are Metro lines very close. The Lidl supermarket can supply any shopping/drink requirements you may have.
Much much better than many 5* hotels I have stayed in & paid 3x more.Do ask for a room at the back as apparently the rooms facing the road are noisy. We were next to the lift but heard nothing as the rooms are more or less sound proof. I can't recommend this one highly enough!

Room Tip: They all seemed fine ,but we asked for a qwuiet room at the back & got it.I'm sure they woul...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank hp999
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The hotel in itself was very nice. The rooms were stylishly furnished, the neighborhood isn't too noisy after about 10PM, and the people at the front desk were very kind and patient with us since my father and I only speak a smattering of German. The only downside to this hotel is that wi-fi isn't free.

Now, I can understand why the wi-fi is a secured network--you're in a major city with tons of businesses and apartment buildings in the area that could use your wi-fi against your wishes. However, you would *think* for such a popular hotel that their wi-fi would be free, right? Not at all. Last I checked, you pay 3 Euro for one hour, 6 for 3 hours, and they have 24-hour and 72-hour rates, as well. The timing is also not based off of how long you use it--it's based off of when you sign in and will run out 1/3/24/72 hour(s) after you do so.

The other kicker is that the wi-fi is in no way faster or better than the two Mac computers provided in the lobby. There is no time limit set at the computers in the lobby, either, so if you get in line behind some computer-savvy tweens desperate to check Facebook for umpteen amounts of time, you could be waiting for hours. So the better alternative is to pay for wi-fi and use it to avoid the line, correct? ABSOLUTELY WRONG. All other hotels that I've been in while staying in Europe have very fast wi-fi connections. HS's was abysmal. I'm sorry, but it really shouldn't take upwards of an hour to load a 10-minute video on YouTube, and my e-mail shouldn't be having errors loading my e-mails due to how slow the network is. Those things don't require THAT much bandwidth.

Also, the air conditioner system was VERY confusing, and we could not get it to work. My father and I resigned to sleep with the windows open, which got noisy since our room faced the main street.

Regardless of my rant, this hotel is very clean and comfortable, and the employees are very nice. If internet connection isn't that big a deal for you, this is definitely the place you should stay. Otherwise, find somewhere else around town.

Room Tip: Try to get a room not facing the main streets. Depending on when you want to sleep, they could get...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I stayed here in August 2011. Hotel is clean, comfortable room, bathroom was clean and looked new, staff speak English well and breakfast was very good and you could choose from eggs, pancakes, fresh breads/baked goods, jams, fruits, juices, tea/coffee. There is a tram stop 1 block from the hotel and it's about 15mins or 7 stops to the city centre. I think for the price and excellent quality it is worth staying here and just taking the train to the city centre. There is not much to do or see around the hotel. Restaurants around the hotel were also not very good but like I said you get a good hotel in exchange for a not so good location. It was a bit of a mission getting to the hotel from the airport- 2 trains and a bus and not as many people spoke English as I thought. So perhaps find out from the hotel itself whats the easiest way. I am sure there is a better way but I followed the advice of the person at the information desk at the airport. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel on easter vacation. We have nothing big to complain about this hotel and would definitely recommend it to any couples or singles.

This is a three star hotel and we were not surprised when we did not find any mini-bar in the room. There was not much of the toiletries but LiDL, a supermarket, is right next door to the hotel so it was not a problem to get all we needed.

The room was spacious enough. But there were two twins beds connected to give an impression of one large bed.

Location is very very good. Getting to Vienna attractions does not take long time.

Breakfast was included in the room price. There was good choices of cereals, breads and fruits. It was good.

All in all, we were very satisfied with our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Pros: Hotel Room was very clean, nice rooms. Close to Tram station which is convenient for local transport system. Quite rooms (At the back side of the hotel(non-smoking)

Cons: Internet very expensive, 2 computers in the lobby where almost always occupied by mainly youths, facebooking etc etc.. At Breakfast only Tea or coffee, No option for guests for toast and only scrambled eggs for hot stuff. Otherwise was ok, fruit, cereal, different bread etc.. They have only twin-beds not double. Room window only tilts and do not open completely (Locked) probably since it was in a non-smoking area.

If you are not so dependant on breakfast this is a good hotel.

Room Tip: Quite rooms (At the back side of the hotel(non-smoking). Rooms at Hernals str are less quieter beca...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank D P
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Just two minutes from the next tram station. Tram 43 brings you to the tram station Schottenring and from there to the center of Vienna. Near the reception you'll find free access to the internet. The rooms are nice, clean and from the 6th floor you've got a beautiful view on Vienna. For breakfast there's a great choice of cereals, fruit, bread, some cheese and coldmeat. There's a Lidl next to the hotel, for those who likes to spend less. On the other side of the street you'll find an organic food market with fresh fruit and delicious bread. At the hotel, in the breakfast room, you'll see colourful paintings of Tatjana Hoffmann who's artist name is Zwurski. The staff was great, kind and friendly. Insider tip: Kulturcafé Max, Mariengasse 1, just five minutes from the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends