“Excellent cakes”

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

Popped in here for tea and cake and also to get refuge from the rain.

Beautiful selection of cakes at the counter. We managed to get seats upstairs immediately where there are quite a lot of tables.

We had a milk chocolate cake and a darker chocolate cake. Both were delicious.

Teas were the usual Julius Meinl that you'll find at most cafes.

Would come back for the cakes!!

1  Thank ChiffChaff1

Reviewed 6 April 2017

We heard about this place really amazing things but the visit was dissapointed.
The hot chocolate was not sweet and watery.
The cakes dry and nothing special.

3  Thank Jakub H
Reviewed 1 April 2017 via mobile

This cafe is voted by Tripadvisor as #1 in Vienna, which is reason enough for me to make the effort to go. The last few reviews have been lacklustre/negative but I'm game enough. Everything turned out brilliant. What is unique in Heiner is its all-female wait staff, who donned a traditional costume uniform. They were all so motherly and friendly that I wonder why there had ever been poor review of their service.

Ambience-wise, it is more rustic and homely, not aspiring to that "exercise in grandiose" practised by the other famous cafes in the city. I went early in the morning, which could explain why all the pastries were so fresh. Encouraged by the warm service, I ordered three cakes at one go - Sachertote (or just chocolate cake), Esterhazyschnitte and strawberry cake. They turned out to be the best pastries I had in Vienna (I have tried the few other extremely famous ones). The Sachertote had a more generous spread of apricot jam that one could taste instead of just sensed a hint of, and the cake is also the most moist of all the chocolate cakes I have tried in my trip.

This place was an interesting discovery for me and had been worth a trip.

7  Thank ericathecat
Reviewed 29 March 2017

i went to this cafe twice. alone and with my wife. the place is nice and warming. the coffee is good but not the best in vienna. they have a large variety of cakes that looks delicious and fresh. i tried only one cake and it was o.k..

Reviewed 24 March 2017 via mobile

I have no idea what make it number one on the TripAdvisor cafe list in Vienna. Nothing special. The coffee was tasty, as in other places. The service was unwelcoming.