“Great New Year's interlude at this hotel”

InterContinental Wien
Ranked #73 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
Dublin
“Great New Year's interlude at this hotel”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I stayed here for six days over New Year and enjoyed the experience thoroughly. From the moment I entered the foyer, I was well looked after by the staff of the Intercontinental. I opted to stay in the Club rooms ; this entitled me to access to the top floor lounge where tasty morsels of food, soups and a great selection of drinks were available to customers whenever they were in the mood for grazing. The lounge also boasts panoramic views of Vienna. A relaxing place in which to have breakfast, a light lunch or a couple of drinks before heading out to the theatre/concert halls in the evening.

The staff could not have been kinder to me. The concierge is a mine of information about different Viennese locations. There is also a great guy who runs the casual restaurant adjacent to the bar in the main lobby. He serves the food and drinks with an elan which conjures up visions of the era in which Viennese hospitality was second to none. Around tne corner from the hotel, there is a great ice rink, where my two nieces learned to ice skate over the six days of the holiday.

The hotel is in a central location. Six or seven minutes walk away from the Central Railway Station, and about ten minutes walk from Stefansdom. There is also an S-bahn station just across the road from the hotel. Using this particular station, you can travel directly to Schonbrunn Palace in the space of about fifteen minutes.

If I had one small quibble about the hotel, it would be that the rooms are not all that large. But they are very comfortable and their size did not detract from my overall experience of the Intercontinental hotel. Indeed, when we returned from the fireworks displays on New Year's Eve, the lobby was really humming with the excitement and adrenalin-rush of the occasion. We spent a couple of hours there taking in the vista ahd watching humanity of all sizes, shapes and ages unleash itself with brio onto the dance floor beside the bar. Great craic (the Irish expression for fun and devilment!).

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Insightful
thomaslegner, General Manager at InterContinental Wien, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Dear Insightful,

Being one of tripadvisor's Top Contributors, I was especially delighted to receive such a wonderful review from you.

Of course, New Years is a very special time of year to be in Vienna and the InterContinental Vienna is certainly one of the best places to stay.

Our guests all rave about the Club Floor rooms and the Club Lounge, with it's great views of the city and the many nice amenities that we offer throughout the day.

Thank you also for mentioning our attentive and knowledgeable staff, they all take great pride in their profession and it shows.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back to Vienna in the not too distant future. There is so much to do and see in this beautiful city.

Safe travels

Thomas Legner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lome, Togo
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Located in the very heart of Vienna, just across the Stadtpark's U-bahn station, it certainly is at a premium location for enjoying what Vienna has best to offer.

Being a building from the 1960's, it is nice to see the changes that occurred through time.

The front office staff is very polite and security aware.
The only exception goes for the bellboys. INSIDE the property - they are very helpful. However, to drag your suitcase across the the entrance stairs, there was no one to be seen.
There is a secondary entrance on the side that is at street level, but you only are aware of this once you get inside.

The room is of average size, but the toilet is very small. You can't fit two people at the same time.

The club lounge on the 12th floor has very nice views over Vienna's skyline.
It is reasonably stocked. I really enjoyed the wasabi nuts.

The TV was still and old CRT set.
The big downside of the hotel is the exorbitant price of the internet.
With other chains offering the internet as a compliment, it is time to say we are not in the 1990s anymore, and paying 25 euros for 24 hour access, is probably more that many european households pay monthly for that service.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pjso
Dear pjso,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

My apologies for not assisting you with your luggage. However, I did note that you rated our Front Office staff highly.

Our TVs are actually all LCD screens throughout the hotel, I'm guessing you saw the CRT TV at another hotel?

I'm hoping you will be staying at the InterContinental Vienna again soon, we will save some of those great Wasabi nuts in the Club Lounge for you.

Best wishes,

Slidell, Louisiana
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Stayed at the hotel in May on a trip with my 23 year old daughter and requested two beds on my reservation. I was given a room with two twin beds pushed together and made up as a single bed. When I told the front desk about the situation, they told me that I could push the beds apart myself if i needed to (now this is suppose to be a 4 plus star hotel). When I asked for two beds again, I was downgraded to a smaller room with a double bed and was given a cot. I slept on the cot which was a bit nicer than my 10th grade boyscout bed. Magagement should be fired. I am a Platinum member of Priority Club, Intercontinentals VIP membership club, so membership obviously has it's advantages.

Room Tip: Don't expect too much from the staff
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank DrC55
thomaslegner, General Manager at InterContinental Wien, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Dear DrC55

Thank you very much for your feedback. As a Senior Reviewer your comments are especially valuable to us.

I was very surprised to learn about your bedding issues and of course discussed it immediately with the team. Separating beds as you had requested is certainly not unusual in any way and something we do almost on a daily basis. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding on our part, for which I would like to apologize.

The new room that you were given as per your request was actually the identical room category, but perhaps due to the fact that the twin beds were separated may have appeared smaller.

I am very sorry that you were given the impression that our staff is not helpful; I would like to assure you of the contrary.

I sincerely hope that you will be returning to Vienna in the not too distant future and that we can reinstate your confidence in our hotel and InterContinental Hotels in general.

Best regards,

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 2 February 2012

A stay at the intercontinental Vienna allows you to combine the best of both worlds: The hotel lobby, bar and restaurants in the old viennoise style and the rooms and suites with modern equipment and excellent broadband internet connection. Also the sports facilities is excellent. Only drawback is the lack of a swimming pool.

Please take some time for a walk in the "Stadtpark" just in front of the hotel. A nice, charming park which wil delight you by its mix of "ancient stones" and beautifully treated fowers and plants. Something you will never forget.

The service is perfect. They will remember your name already on your second stay !

There are also lots of pleasant restaurants all around the location. Just leave the hotel and turn left and you will find left of the "Stadtpark" towards the center of the old town en enormous variety of restaurants, certain to appeal to any taste.

Room Tip: If you have a priority club card and you upgrade it to an intercontinental card you will - depending...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Daniel187309
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Fantastic location, nice rooms, very grand style older hotel. We really enjoyed our time in Vienna and also staying at the InterContinental. The rooms were nice, small but very nicely done and comfortable. We had a lovely view over the park. It was only a short walk to the major tourist attractions (Spanish Riding school, shopping street, palace etc). Vienna is such a beautiful, romantic and pretty city - even in the height of Winter. We went to the opera on the Saturday night and even though the Opera itself wasn't the best, the atmosphere was sensational.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the park
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
West Sussex
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I stayed at the hotel for only one night and so my comments should be read with that in mind. The check in process was a little slow but otherwise fine. The rooms are a little dated and the temperature control was very poor. The room was far too warm with no way of effectively cooling it down. This temperature problem was also evident in the meeting rooms.

The food was fine and room service effective although the menu wasnt where the hotel brochure said it was! I asked for a copy of the menu to be delivered to my room. This was promised but never happened.

There is no wireless internet access in the rooms which just amazes me for a hotel that is presumably there for business travellers primarily. Wireless access in the lobby/meeting rooms is just unacceptable in the 21st century.

Having re-read my review, it is very negative and that's unfair. The hotel is OK with a few minor irritations but instantly forgettable I suppose

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
thomaslegner, General Manager at InterContinental Wien, responded to this review, 4 February 2012
Dear Rodsussexuk,

Thank you very much for your review.

First and foremost I would like to apologize for the problems with your room temperature. Surely we should have been able to adjust the temperature in your room to your liking.
I was also disappointed to read that we failed to deliver the room service menu to your room.

I can certainly appreciate that these two rather basic requests would have an impact on your stay.

We are currently working on expanding the wireless network to include all guest rooms, which is an important convenience for today’s traveler.

I would like to assure you that your review will assist us with improving our overall services and as such, is most helpful.

Best regards and safe travels,

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Great location for the Metro. The station is just over the road from the hotel, and it is a short walk to the centre of the city.
We stayed here from 22nd thru to 26th december and pre booked the christmas eve dinner which we found dissapointing cost of 95 euros per person the wines were of poor quality and the food while their was a great variety it was not spectacular.
The room was comfortable but in need of redecorating.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple