“Simple and little oldish hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Wien

InterContinental Wien
Ranked #74 of 366 Hotels in Vienna
Budapest
“Simple and little oldish hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We visited Vienna for one day for the Christmas market, and stayed one night in the hotel. I no extra problems with the hotel, but considering that it is an intercontinental hotel and it is a 4 star hotel, I expected a little more. I would say it is a good 3 star hotel, but it needs some improvement to be a 4 star. One big minus for them that it was impossible to find a place at the bar or the restaurant, it was full of people. It was no problem finally, we drank out the mini bar....

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
thomaslegner, General Manager at InterContinental Wien, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear kcsaba78,

Many thanks for your review.

I hope that you enjoyed Vienna during the Christmas time, the many Christmas markets are very special and unique.

Our Intermezzo Bar is indeed very popular, nevertheless I am sorry to hear that you did not find any space.

Seeing that you don't live far away from Vienna, hopefully you will stay with us again in the near future. Hopefully next time you will be able to enjoy the wonderful atmosphere in the bar.

Best regards,

Thomas Legner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

I had a business trip and stayed 3 nights with my wife at the Intercontinental in a Club Room on the 10th floor. Vienna is a great location. Our room was a good size with good views. The facilities on the 12th floor were excellent with inclusive food and drink all day. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
thomaslegner, General Manager at InterContinental Wien, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Dear B16SDP,

Congratulations on your very first review on tripadvisor.

I was very happy to read your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us.

Hopefully you and your wife will be returning to Vienna in the near future.

Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

This IC property is conveniently located next to a metro station, 10 min walk to city centre and 15 min walk from the CAT airport express train station.
I stayed in the Club room for one night. Room size is adequate with good amenities. Hotel staff are helpful. The club lounge provides food/refreshments nearly all day long.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank yw1248
Dear yw1248,

With 112 destinations under your belt, you are definitely well-traveled! I hope that you always stay at InterContinental properties.

Thank you very much for your great review, especially your praise of our staff and the Club Lounge facilities.

Wishing you continued safe travels.

Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed there 4 nights and generally I was happy with the overall experience. The reception staff was very friendly. The room is OK, the bathroom very nice and clean. My room had a mini-bar and coffee/tea maker. The only disappointment was lack of Wi-Fi in the room. There was wired internet connectivity at about 25EUR/day for the high speed option. I think that the hotel should really consider offering free Wi-Fi in the room and get rid of policy of charging guest for internet. I believe that in today's world charging for internet connectivity is like charging for hot water.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Bini_FI
Dear Bini_FI,

Many thanks for your recent review and specifically your praise of our Reception Staff.

I did of course note your comments regarding the Internet and would like to assure you that we are evaluating our pricing on a continuous basis. We want to ensure that we can offer our guests the right balance between a safe and reliable service at a reasonable cost.

Wishing you continued safe travels,

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Thank you to Sandra Hosl, and her team, you made our honeymoon very special !!!

I never expected the Intercontinental to make my Honeymoon this special. From the moment we arrived it was 5 star treatment. The check-in staff were friendly and welcoming. We arrived to our room on the 8th floor, and waiting inside was a bucket of champagne, and a beautifully made cake with Congratulations on it. The room was very nice, and had views to the city and Icerink, however the bathroom was a little small, as I am 6ft 5 and could not really fit inside it. I went down to the reception area, where Sandra the Assistant manager was working, and told her my problem. Sandra then immediately took me to the 12th floor to show me a club suite, and changed over my room. The fact that this wasnt a problem and she was only too glad to help, makes this hotel one of the best I've stayed in. The staff all helpful, and always smiling, or going out of their way, makes this the jewel in the crown for vienna's finest hotels. Sandra even helped me find shoeshops for my large feet, and explained on a map where to go, and what the names of the shops were. I cant fault the hotel one bit, maybe an updated Spa in the future, but very very good. I can recommend this hotel to everyone, it's got a great location, the best club floor I've ever seen, and great staff. If you choose a Vienna hotel, this has got to be on your list of top 2.

Thank you to Sandra, the greek concierge guy, Dragan the driver, and the barman whose been at the Intercontinental for 35 years.

What a great honeymoon, and cant wait for the next stay !!!!!

Room Tip: 12th floor suite 1239 great views of the city, and really spacious througout
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Thelastrealtraveller
Dear Thelastrealtraveller,

First and foremost I would like to congratulate you and your wife on your recent wedding.

I was of course delighted to read that our team - led by Sandra - made your stay such a special occasion. We have an incredible team of dedicated professionals, many of whom have been with us for 20 years and longer. That's what really makes the InterContinental Vienna so very special.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Vienna soon, latest for your 1st Anniversary.

Best wishes,

Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

I stayed here for six days over New Year and enjoyed the experience thoroughly. From the moment I entered the foyer, I was well looked after by the staff of the Intercontinental. I opted to stay in the Club rooms ; this entitled me to access to the top floor lounge where tasty morsels of food, soups and a great selection of drinks were available to customers whenever they were in the mood for grazing. The lounge also boasts panoramic views of Vienna. A relaxing place in which to have breakfast, a light lunch or a couple of drinks before heading out to the theatre/concert halls in the evening.

The staff could not have been kinder to me. The concierge is a mine of information about different Viennese locations. There is also a great guy who runs the casual restaurant adjacent to the bar in the main lobby. He serves the food and drinks with an elan which conjures up visions of the era in which Viennese hospitality was second to none. Around tne corner from the hotel, there is a great ice rink, where my two nieces learned to ice skate over the six days of the holiday.

The hotel is in a central location. Six or seven minutes walk away from the Central Railway Station, and about ten minutes walk from Stefansdom. There is also an S-bahn station just across the road from the hotel. Using this particular station, you can travel directly to Schonbrunn Palace in the space of about fifteen minutes.

If I had one small quibble about the hotel, it would be that the rooms are not all that large. But they are very comfortable and their size did not detract from my overall experience of the Intercontinental hotel. Indeed, when we returned from the fireworks displays on New Year's Eve, the lobby was really humming with the excitement and adrenalin-rush of the occasion. We spent a couple of hours there taking in the vista ahd watching humanity of all sizes, shapes and ages unleash itself with brio onto the dance floor beside the bar. Great craic (the Irish expression for fun and devilment!).

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Insightful
Dear Insightful,

Being one of tripadvisor's Top Contributors, I was especially delighted to receive such a wonderful review from you.

Of course, New Years is a very special time of year to be in Vienna and the InterContinental Vienna is certainly one of the best places to stay.

Our guests all rave about the Club Floor rooms and the Club Lounge, with it's great views of the city and the many nice amenities that we offer throughout the day.

Thank you also for mentioning our attentive and knowledgeable staff, they all take great pride in their profession and it shows.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back to Vienna in the not too distant future. There is so much to do and see in this beautiful city.

Safe travels

Lome, Togo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

Located in the very heart of Vienna, just across the Stadtpark's U-bahn station, it certainly is at a premium location for enjoying what Vienna has best to offer.

Being a building from the 1960's, it is nice to see the changes that occurred through time.

The front office staff is very polite and security aware.
The only exception goes for the bellboys. INSIDE the property - they are very helpful. However, to drag your suitcase across the the entrance stairs, there was no one to be seen.
There is a secondary entrance on the side that is at street level, but you only are aware of this once you get inside.

The room is of average size, but the toilet is very small. You can't fit two people at the same time.

The club lounge on the 12th floor has very nice views over Vienna's skyline.
It is reasonably stocked. I really enjoyed the wasabi nuts.

The TV was still and old CRT set.
The big downside of the hotel is the exorbitant price of the internet.
With other chains offering the internet as a compliment, it is time to say we are not in the 1990s anymore, and paying 25 euros for 24 hour access, is probably more that many european households pay monthly for that service.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pjso
Dear pjso,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

My apologies for not assisting you with your luggage. However, I did note that you rated our Front Office staff highly.

Our TVs are actually all LCD screens throughout the hotel, I'm guessing you saw the CRT TV at another hotel?

I'm hoping you will be staying at the InterContinental Vienna again soon, we will save some of those great Wasabi nuts in the Club Lounge for you.

Best wishes,