“Disappointing.”

Hotel Imperial Vienna
Ranked #16 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Vienna was our last stop on this European vacation and the one we most looked forward to, chiefly because of our expectations of this hotel. From the moment we arrived, we felt as if we were not important enough to warrant basic courtesy.
We had selected a suite with a terrace; yet the balcony was so tiny that is was almost inaccessible (no chair could be placed there, nor was there such a chair). I guess we assumed too much.
Upon check-in I asked the concierge for the internet code. He argued with me when I suggested that their internet charges were outrageous, in light of the fact that we had just traveled throughout Switzerland and Austria without a single hotel charging for wifi. He assured me that ALL hotels charge, as if I were lying. This did not give us a wonderful initial impression.
At breakfast a polite request for foamed milk with my coffee was deemed "Not possible" by the young server (whom I know spoke English, even though I was attempting to ask in German. A server at a previous hotel had taught me how to ask for this in German). At the end of our breakfast, I saw the table beside me receive a coffee topped with foamed milk. Clearly not impossible. When I asked the young server why I was told that it was impossible, he told me he would go get one for me. Of course, I was finished with breakfast by this time and simply asked him again why I was told it was impossible. He merely apologized sheepishly. I guess he didn't want to be inconvenienced.
We never expect special treatment when traveling, even though we often get it when we splurge on a larger suite. The Imperial Hotel, not only did not give us special treatment, they almost made us feel like we should feel privileged to be staying there.
The luggage tags and stationery might be considered a nice touch, but I find them environmentally wasteful. Considering that the door to the terrace causes the a/c to shut off, I would think that such a "luxury" as personalized stationery with the hotel's address would be an optional offering. We were vacationing, not working, so such articles were unnecessary.
Vienna was a lovely city, and we plan to return; but we will not choose the Imperial Hotel on our next holiday.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vicspix
klauchr, General Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2012

Dear “vicspix” and partner,

It was very disappointing to read that on several occasions during your recent stay with us, you were not given the feeling of genuine welcome and true comfort by our team members. It goes without saying that your request at breakfast was not exceptional and should have been responded to immediately and positively. Please do accept my most sincere apologies for this lapse in service. I will personally review your observation with our team in this venue.

Your suggestion to provide certain added amenities on request, rather than automatically for the suite category you had booked with us, will be considered in our next operational review, based on the our overall customer feedback in this regard. Thank you for sharing your passion for the environment with us and rest assured that our views are aligned in this aspect.

With the hope to be given another chance to proof our ability to delight and our best wishes for a prosperous and healthy Year of the Dragon.

Reviewed 8 January 2012

Imperial hotel, is really a nice hotel, it is very famous because it is a historical hotel, and lots of famous people stayed there,
I was in a suite room, the rooms are nice luxury, and I like it , what I don’t like is the lobby because it is very small, quiet and not much activities like the Marriott hotel , location wais, it is relatively ok , it is around the historical center of Vienna (stephansplatz) you need to cross on of the major road to reach the stephansplatz
The price is expansive, I realized that there are other hotels on the center of stephansplatz in a lower price where everything is around you, such as coffee shops and shopping area

Room Tip: all are the same
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Abdulaziz A

Dear „alghannam“,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at our hotel with other travellers trough the Tripadvisor forum. Especially your highest marks on “Sleep Quality”, “Rooms” and “Cleanliness” is most encouraging for our team. It is unfortunate that our location did not really meet your needs to explore the inner city. Hope to be able to welcome you back to Vienna once again in the future.

Best wishes for a successful and healthy 2012.

Reviewed 19 December 2011

We stayed here for 2 days 17/19th December and had a fabulous time.This former palace has absolutely magnificent interiors, and the hotel is immaculately maintained.The rooms are luxurious and a sensible size (although ours had a shower not a bath, but my son's room had a large bath). The bar area is small but completely adequate for a drink before dinner. Excellent breakfast (but pricy). The staff could not be more helpful, with advice on all aspects of a short visit to Vienna - tickets to the Schonbrunn palace and excellent restaurant recommendations. The hotel is right in the centre of the city so all the key sights are within easy walking distance.If you can afford it, then this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Divaphoto
klauchr, General Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2012

Dear „Divaphoto“ and family,

What a nice Christmas treat your positive comments and review were for the entire team at Hotel Imperial. Thank you for praise and compliments.

Wishing you and your family a great start into 2012 and may it become a year of optimism, excellent health and prosperity for all of you. Best regards from Europe’s capital city of music and culture to London.

Reviewed 15 December 2011

I’m sure there are hotels in Vienna with faster elevators and glossy gyms, but you would be hard-pressed to find a hotel that suits this incredible city so perfectly.

The hotel itself is a city attraction: marble hallways, soaring ceilings and a quirky layout. It’s clear this palace was not built as a hotel. And that’s the charm. As with many historical hotels, it’s all about the room you get since no two are very similar. Our incredible room was a delightful upgrade and faced the main street. It was over the top, Imperial Style with thoughtful touches; turndown service with water and chocolates, a welcome letter and fruit and a true king bed with delicious linens.

The hotel staff also deserves kudos for thoughtful, friendly and professional service. They were warm, welcoming and available. The hotel was also swarming with security, police, cop cars and helicopters given the notoriety of some of the hotel’s prominent guests – it all adds to the excitement and glamour of this grand dame hotel.

The hotel is also centrally located to everything and within walking distance of major sites and subway stations. We will definitely return to the Hotel Imperial Vienna and only hope we get such a magnificent room!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TRVLtruth

Dear „Mattsaab“ and partner,

Your very positive comments and compliments are most encouraging and much appreciated. To ensure a similarly rewarding and memorable stay in your favorite room on future visits to Vienna, please do not hesitate to contact me or any of my team members directly.

Wishing you and your family a great start into 2012 and may it become a year of optimism, excellent health and prosperity for all of you. Best regards from Vienna to Los Angeles.

Reviewed 14 December 2011

Arrived from jfk mid morning and were accomodated by the front desk. Stayed in an elisabeth suite. Great room size, perfect bathroom, wonderful service from our butler. Windows open so we could sleep with fresh air. Oddity...no clock in room but we we on holiday so it did not matter. This may be the best hotel i have ever stayed in!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nhcouple090909

Dear „Nhcouple090909“ and partner,

Thank you for the full marks about your recent stay with us at Hotel Imperial in Vienna. We have taken note of the missing clock on the bedside table in your suite and will ensure that we will not miss out on placing them into those rooms, that do not have a built-in digital clock on the flatscreen TVs in the bedrooms.

Wishing you and your family a great start into 2012 and may it become a year of optimism, excellent health and prosperity for all of you in Manchester, New Hampshire.

Reviewed 14 December 2011

The 1863 residence of the prince of Württemberg became the Imperial in 1873 and maintains its historic building and an old fashioned standard of service and welcome to a very high standard. The hotel is a beautiful and well-positioned building, its public spaces are grand and guest rooms generously large, well-appointed, and expertly maintained with a great deal of care and thought. Staff are uniformly eager and pleased to help, without ever slipping into the too-present and too-helpful mode that spoils some hotels. Staff know how to acknowledge guests warmly and make themselves available, taking their cue from the guests without knocking anyone over in the process; above all, they make guests feel welcome.

Housekeeping and maintenance are to a high standard, with even the least details in the most out of the way corners well attended; and the staff are pleasant, unobtrusive, and, again, adept at reading guests.

My only complaints are minor. The Imperial is another 5-star hotel that could benefit from providing wifi as a given, not as a cost add-on (costs throughout, though, are nicely transparent.) Some of the public spaces might benefit from a little less: a bit more restraint in mixing colors and pattern in soft furnishings, the removal of a few glass vitrines and superfluous pieces, and some greater thought to modulating lighting within some spaces could enhance the historic character of the hotel without pushing it into a slick corporate aesthetic.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Staff are familiar with differences in rooms from front to back and on various floors and are helpfu...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

Dear "1836",

It was most encouraging to read your posting and take note of the many compliments and praise you have left for our various teams and colleagues. Rest assured that I will share these encouraging words with my entire team and that they will continue to motivate them to give their very best.

Your constructive input for further improvements in lighting and interior has also been well noted and will be taken into consideration in our future renovation and improvement plans.

Please do not hesitate in letting me know, if I or any of my team members can be of help with future bookings or special arrangements. Have a most pleasant start to a wonderful 2012 and on behalf of my entire team our best wishes for a healthy and successful New Year!

Reviewed 13 December 2011

Have just returned from a 4 night stay, and wanted to endorse what other reviewers have said. What a fabulous place to enjoy Vienna from! The central location is ideal for all places you want to visit, and access to all parts of the city are so easy using the tram that stops just outside the hotel.

The concierge was very helpful in getting us into Plachutta when we could not book ourselves. All the staff were extremely courteous, but we do make the effort to be pleasant as you do get back what you give in any place you stay at.

I can recommend the hotels own restaurant very highly, and the sommelier gave us some excellent advice on what Austrian wine to have with our meal.

If I have one small gripe, this was my wifes 50th birthday trip, which I had advised the hotel of beforehand. I had hoped they would have offered something special for her to remember our time there, but perhaps the visit of the Turkish Premier on a state visit was a bit more important!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear "Louvreman",

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel with other travellers. A very special thank you for your kind compliments for our Concierge team and other team members that looked after you during your visit.

It was however disappointing to note that your wife's birthday did not get the attention deserved, especially as you had made the effort to let us know beforehand that she would be celebrating her special occassion here in Vienna. Please allow me to take this opportunity to wish her - belated, yet not less sincere - many healthy returns of the day and an exciting and memorable year ahead. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!