“Lovely Hotel though lacks proper service”

Hotel Bristol Vienna
Ranked #19 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
New York City, New York
“Lovely Hotel though lacks proper service”
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Our stay in the hotel started out pretty bad but ended up getting better the longer we stayed. We first arrived at the hotel when it was pouring rain. There was no doorman to help us get in the narrow doorway with all our luggage. In fact, though they claim to always have a doorman on service, half the time that we were there he was not, this was very frustrating especially when arriving soaking wet after a long flight.

We had to wait in a long queue at the check in desk. Also, an fyi for English speakers- the man who checked us in spoke very little English and booked us in a room a class lower than what we had paid for. We had to go back down to change our room to the correct class which was also very annoying start to the trip.

The redeeming qualities of this hotel are the unique rooms and great view of the opera house. While I am not a fan of the older style of hotel rooms, I have to say this one grew on me. While I would have preferred a bit of updating with the window curtains and bed, i have to admit there was a certain charm and uniqueness to the place. It could have been a bit cleaner however and our maid seemed to forget to turn down our room at night twice

The best part about this hotel is the breakfast, where the food is wonderful as is the service staff. Be warned though, tip is not included in the free breakfast, but we were happy to tip big since the wait staff was fabulous. The location is wonderful and really enables you to walk to anywhere you want to go in Vienna for the most part.

So overall, we had a pleasant stay but are not rushing back. We will probably try a different place next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the opera house- it makes the whole stay worth while.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank luxurylover86
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
PROPER SERVICE IS IMPORTANT TO US!
Dear Madame / Sir, thank you for your review posted on Tripadvisor. It is extremely important to us to receive feedback from our valued guests as it helps us to constantly improve our service levels.
I regret that you did not have a pleasant arrival at our hotel and hence I understand that the first impression was not a good one. I do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during check in - starting from no doorman waiting for you or the wrong room you got assigned to. I can assure you that all of the things you mentioned are definitely not up to our standards and I will look into this situation further in order to ensure that such incidents will not reoccur in the future. I am glad that you enjoyed breakfast at our property though. Best regards,
Gerald Krischek - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Very smart hotel with real character. Staff were great and service was impeccable. All were helpful and nothing seemed too much trouble. Dinner was impressive, with carefully presented and well cooked dishes - the sommelier was knowledgeable and helped with the choice of an excellent Reisling.The decor in the public areas is tasteful without being overpowering. Our room was beautifully furnished with a double door leading to a small balcony and a side view of the Staatsopera house. On close inspection the panels on the walls were covered not in wallpaper, but fine fabric.
Two minor criticisms :-
- lack of tea or coffee making facilities, but given the quality of the decor and the danger with hot steam, this is probably understandable.
-Prices on the room service menu or min-bar. I would always expect to pay a premium for room service for example, but these were beyond ridiculous !
Not a hotel for anyone on a budget but if you are looking for a stylish hotel in one of the classiest cities on the planet, then this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bearair52
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Stayed at this hotel for my second trip to Vienna. The staff is very friendly and professional when handling our check-in and check-out. The overall process was very smooth.

The room was very satisfactory. The interior is very elegant and spacious. I love the marble bathroom as it was also very spacious. Another plus point for the bathroom is that the toilet comes with a bidet.

There is only one small comment though..there was an unpleasant smell at the lobby when I was there.

The location of this hotel is great. It is close to train station, bus stop and tram stop. It is also close to shopping area. The hotel is just next to Vienna's famous opera house. Also, Vienna's Stephansdom is a walking distance from the hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank sheduh
san francisco
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Whenever I come to Vienna this is my most favorite place to stay

The location is perfect, the view of the Vienna Opera House is just divine, my suite, which is the Tower Suite this time is a fairy tale 2 room suite with a balcony. The bedroom is round (actually an octagon) since it is the tower which makes it most romantic, the whole ambience is more like a visit to my wealthy, Countess grandmother, than a hotel!!

Every employee is most professional and very friendly. I am always amazed at their memories, it is lovely to check in and be greeted by employees who will respond with a big smile and how nice you are back and how is San Francisco?? Pretty impressive considering the hundreds of guests that come through here. Special requests, and I always have some, are carried out with a big smile and and faster one can imagine Even though I have not even left I am already looking at my travel calendar to see when I can return I will have to tell everyone that I have moved to Tucson, Az so when I come back they can greet me with 'And how is Tucson' cusonzon

Room Tip: any suite/ room with a view of the Vienna Opera
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear Madame, thank you for your kind review posted on Trip Advisor.
It is of course a great pleasure to read your comments about our hotel and our associates. Besides the fact that you enjoy your accommodation at our hotel we feel extremely proud and happy about the fact of how much you appreciate the attentiveness of my associates. It is a great pleasure to have you as our guest and we look forward to many more returns of yours in the future!
Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 May 2012

We cashed in some SPG points to spend two nights here. When we arrived just after noon (after driving from Linz), our room was not ready. No big deal - they parked the car for us and took care of our bags. We walked around the nearby gardens and got some lunch and then came back. We were upgraded to an executive suite on the fifth floor (just down the hall from the free business center). The staff quickly brought our bags to the room, and we had a welcome treat of chocolates and water waiting for us.

The room was unbelievably large (for European standards) and had a great view (albeit not of the opera house). The location of the hotel is phenomenal, and the staff truly does go above and beyond. The turndown service each night was a nice touch - especially one night when we were only out a couple hours for dinner. We were never interrupted by the maid service - they just seemed to know when the perfect time was.

The concierge was extremely helpful to us, and informed us of locations that would be closed due to the Labour Day holiday (we had not anticipated this in our trip planning). On the second day of our trip - the roads around the hotel were closed for several parades and demonstrations. We hopped on the Ubahn and headed to Schoenbrunn to avoid most of this. When we returned, we were given a great recommendation for dinner - and the concierge even made the reservations for us to ensure we would have outdoor seating!

I would say the valet parking was expensive, but having traveled in other major cities and paid at least that much (for service that was no where near the level received at Hotel Bristol), I would say it was money well spent.

Absolutely wonderful!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank matt987321
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Hotel gusts skewed heavily to business travelers. Yet hotel was very comfortable place to stay on vacation. Location was very good and the staff was very helpful.

Our room was bigger than expected. Amenities (fitness center and business center computers) were a lifesaver.

I would recommend staying here to everyone.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Madame / Sir, thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor. It is with pleasure that I have read your positive comments about our stay at our property. It is true that we have a lot of business guests during the week, but at the same time we get many leisure visitors especially during weekends due to our very central location opposite the state opera house. It would be a pleasure to welcome you soon again to our hotel. Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 6 May 2012

The best hotel in Vienna, located in the beginning of Kartner strase just opposite of STAATSOPER You can see in the lobby the daily programm of the opera and you can find tickets even in the pick times. It is a Leading Hotel and the staff provides top service.Recently belongs to Sacher Hotel but the management remains the same which means that the people have more reasons to do the best for the clients' satisfaction. I would say that is ideal for business or family trips and you are close to everything interesting in Vienna. I recommend to those that have special reasons to celibrate a grate moment of their lives to try the tower suite in the last floor which is the only that communicate with a balcony. There are more suites in every floor that is worth to stay but do not tell to the ones that you want to offer it as a present

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear Madame / Sir - thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor. The feedback of our valued guests is extremely important to us as it helps us to constantly evaluate and improve our levels of service and offerings. Reading your review I can just say - THANK YOU. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Bristol. It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back in the future! Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager