US$127
US$98
US$79
HolidayInn.com
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$89/night.

US$141
  • Breakfast included
US$289
  • Breakfast included
1,637 results
All reviewsopera houseold worldluxury collectionopera suitestarwood pointswalk in closetluxury hotelconcierge staffsmall balconyperfect locationbeautiful hotelturn down servicestate operadeluxe roombeautiful roomsitting areaan upgrade
Reviewed November 20, 2012

As we had a good time in this hotel few months back, we decided to give it a try this time. it turned out to be a not so good a choice. We were very tired from spending a long time in the airport after loss of one of our luggage and doing all the boring formalities needed for such an incident. We wanted to rest in this lovely hotel in a nice room as the guy in the front desk has promised on check in, not really. It was a very small room you would not find in a 3 star hotel and looking from the window we were shocked, it was overlooking a back yard full of AC ducts and garbage containers. Furious we refused the room. They told us that this is the standard room we have booked and other rooms would be the same. We went out of the room after waiting a long time for the call from the staff at the front desk who did not call back. We had to explain again to another staff about the matter and she said the same thing about our choice of rooms as if we did not pay an enormous amount for the room and just got it for free. In addition to that we were members of the starwood program which gave us privilege as members but obviously it did not apply in this hotel. Finally a nice girl showed us another room which was much better in size and had a more scenic view of Vienna than the other room and we accepted it. Then came the waiting for our luggage to arrive to our room, it took at least an hour for no obvious reason. We called and called and every time had the reply, on the way on the way. We had to go down and tell the concierge that we will take them ourselves then finally they arrived. The hotel is very traditional in style and its furniture is quite old. The room was comfortable and the bathroom was equipped with all amenities. The hairdryer was quite small and old fashioned though and should definitely be replaced.The housekeeping staff were nice and we liked the supply of complimentary bottled water every day. The breakfast buffet was acceptable although the cook did not know how to make good omellete or fried eggs. The location of this hotel is perfect being just in front of the Opera as well as being just nearby the subway station of Karlsplatz and near the famous shopping street downtown. For us, we think we had our share of this hotel. We travel to Vienna every year but it might be a while before we think about trying it again. The hotel should do something about some of its staff who are endangering this lovely hotel's reputation.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a real nice view, like overlooking the Opera
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NanaMoo
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Dear 'NanaMoo'

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback. First of all I regret that you did not find your recent stay with us as pleasant as the previous one. We aim at providing consistent good quality at our hotel. I understand that your trip started already not so well with some of your luggage being lost. This I know can be very annoying. Even more I regret that then the room did not meet your expectations and that it took us so long to fix your problem and to assign an alternative accommodation for you. I however understand that finally the new room was acceptable to you. I will take your report to the next front office meeting and discuss it in detail with all associates as this does not meet our service standards. With regards to your comment about the omelet I can assure you that we are training our staff constantly on how to prepare good egg dishes hence it seems that we need to put more effort into this as well. Thank you again for your patronage and your honest feedback. I hope that your recent experience will not deter you from visiting us again in the near future. Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I’m travelling to Vienna quite a lot in the last years and have stayed in many 5-star hotels. My opinion is that Bristol is one the best in terms of localtion, customer loyalty and service. The rooms are great (especially those overlooking the Oper bulding and located on higer floors)), breakfast doesn’t leave any wishes unfulfilled, the staff are very welcoming and helpful.

What could be improved? Just small things: for instance, when I order some food to my room, I expect that there will be some bread without extra reminding of it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Konstantin72
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear 'Konstantin72'

thank you for your review posted on this website. We appreciate your feedback. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay. I also wanted to thank you for your feedback about room service. It will help us to improve our standards - of course bread should come automatically to your room with your food order. Thanks again for your patronage. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.
Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager

Reviewed November 11, 2012

The first room they gave me was quite difficult to get to. I had to take an elevator, walk down several corridors, make a few turns and then walk down a flight of stairs to reach my room. This isn't uncommon in older European buildings but it was not pleasant. The next day I requested a change and was given one to a room in a convenient location. To appease my for the inconvenience they gave me a blintz cake in a decorated box. It was a great gesture and totally unexpected because I did not complain too badly about the room location and expressed gratitude when they told me another room was available. It's little touches like this that really make a hotel stay memorable.

The room was spacious. My king bed was 2 twins pushed together but they stayed tight with no gap forming between the 2 mattresses. It was odd that there was no alarm clock in the room. I did have a maintenance issue: the hot water faucet would not stay turned on. They serviced it and mostly fixed it but I noticed my last day that the problem was recurring.

The location is outstanding. Very convenient to all of the tourist spots and the main shopping street.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank OC_Adventurer
BRISTOL_VIE_GM, General Manager at Hotel Bristol Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear 'OC_Adventurer'

Thank you for your review posted on this site. We appreciate your feedback about your recent stay with us as it helps us to improve and maintain our levels of service. With regards to your comments about the room I can assure you that this was only a temporary solution with the difficult access to get to the room. This was caused by some necessary works on this floor which happen behind walls - so you did not take any notice of it. I am glad that we could provide you with an alternative room that met your expectations. With regards to the water issue I will have a look into this and look up our maintenance tracking system so to locate the room you were in in order to get this fixed. Thank you again for your comments. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future! Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We enjoyed three "free" nights here last month (Oct 2012), thanks to our Starwood Points. Our initial room was extremely small. Basically, all bed and very little room to move around. After a few minutes of trying to look on the positive side, I called the front desk and asked how much it would cost to upgrade us. They offered us an unusual room on the mezzanine level, which was accessible only down a stairway. In othr words, there wasn't elevator access to the room. They said other people didn't like it for that reason, but we could look at it. Well, it was enormous!! We said yes immediately. We have no problem getting exercise whenever we can find it.

We had a foyer, separate walk in closet, separate toilet and sink room, large bathroom with a bathtub and separate shower and lots of marble, and a huge bedroom with a table and chairs, chaise lounge, king bed, and desk, with still a ton of room. It was a long room - I called it the bowling alley. It was enormous.

They gave it to us for no extra charge. The sign on the door said it was 789 Euros per night. It was very nice of them...another example of when it pays to be nice and cheerful and not a boorish traveler.

Anyway, it saved our trip to Vienna, b/c that smaller room would have been extremely tight and uncomfortable.

I have really bad allergies - I'm very allergic to dust mites - and I should write a blog on clean hotel rooms. I know better than to book an old hotel like this, with all kinds of old carpet, curtains, etc. that are full of dust mites. But I booked this hotel anyway b/c of the great bargain of getting it for our Starwood points. It was definltely a bit musty and dusty in our room, and throughout the hotel generally, but it was ok. We asked for fresh bedding and I always travel with a special pillow, so it turned out ok.

The hotel was absolutely fantastic, location-wise. We came up out of the subway, which we took from the train station, and we looked to the left, and there was the gorgeous Opera House. To the right was the Hotel Bristol. It is located on a very long street which has a lot of shopping and some great restaurants nearby.

The front desk was very helpful, with old fashioned, stately service. Unfortunately, they allow you to smoke in the hotel lounge (not the restaurant), so we didn't spend any time in the bar area, which is sometimes nice. We didn't eat at the restaurant either.

We would not stay here again, but greatly appreaciate the upgrade and kindness of the Hotel Bristol staff.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LC_in_SD

Dear 'fun_city_gal'

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor. We value the feedback of our guests very much. I understand that you did like the alternative room that we provided to you. I regret that the first room did not meet your expectations. With regards to cleaning I can assure you that we are putting a strong focus on this but of course all rooms have carpets and this might be a challenge for someone with a dust allergy. I also confirm that we do have anti allergic pillows and blankets for our guests at hand. The floor you were on was temporarily without any elevator access - but this will change at the end of next month. Smoking is only allowed in the bar and nowhere else in the hotel. All rooms are non-smoking. It would be a pleasure to convince you to come back to us - this December we will open 10 new rooms and suites which you may want to try. Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I travel a great deal and am a Starwood Preferred guest (although I certainly do not stay always in Starwood hotels). I think this hotel is excellent and I had a very good experience. Complimentry fresh fruit and water refreshed in rooms several times a day. Turn down service with chocolates left in the evening. Attentive and polite staff at all levels from housekeeping to waitstaff to front desk.

This is a historic ( yet recently remodeled) hotel with all the charm of the turn of the century. I felt like I was in Downton Abbey TV show when I arrived at my room to find uniformed housekeepers washing down the doors with a bucket of suds.

Service from beginning to end was very good. The rooms are clean, the buffet breakfast (ate there twice) was wonderful and the one lunch I had there was very good and perfectly served.

Most staff speaks both English and German, which was helpful as I do not speak German.

Warning- the hotel bar allows smoking so be forewarned. I am not used to this anymore as smoking is now forbidden in bars in so many countries, and I didn't like it. There is an area outside the bar in a lobby however which you could take a drink into if needed, and no one seemed to smoke there.

Walking distance to many attractions like Opera, etc. Tram service right outside the hotel.

My overall take? "Expensive but worth it"

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Dear 'CMM-LA'

Thank you for your feedback posted on Trip Advisor. It is of course a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for recognizing my associates for their good service. With regards to smoking you are right - the bar is the only place in the hotel where you can smoke. We do however offer a non-smoking area outside in the lobby area which is also very cosy. All rooms by the way are non-smoking at our hotel. Thank you again for taking the time to give us your impressions. We hope to welcome you back in the near future! Kind regards, Gerald R. Krischek - General Manager