“Modern but traditional coffee”
Review of Cafe Markusplatz - CLOSED

Cafe Markusplatz
Price range: US$12 - US$20
Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Reviewed August 19, 2015

Cafe Markusplatz is a location with traditional coffee house concept - it's worth for a quick step in during the day to grab a mug of coffee and a piece of "Gugelhupf". Food Selection for lunch and dinner is nice, service is good.

Reviewed January 6, 2015

Staying for a few days in Vienna we have been trying to find dishes that would surprise us, tasting different from what we can find in France or in Western Switzerland. We were also looking for alternates to Wienerschnitzel and Tafelspitz.

We happened by chance to enter this coffeeshop for ... a coffee, and one thing leading to another we saw that there were a number of specialty dishes on the short and interesting menu. The above mentioned dish was a very interesting experience. It is based on veal lung and heart, cut into thin stripes like when cooking tripes. The fairly liquid sauce (almost like a kind of soup) was tangy, a bit hot (paprika) and acid. It was served with knödels which also had an interesting and complex taste, surprisingly reminding me a bit of Chinese turnip pancakes.

Definitely worth a try for the curious minded.

Reviewed January 1, 2015

One does not expect to find a gourmet dinner at a Vienna coffeehouse BUT this place served up a great 5 course set meal with wine pairings for New Year's eve 2015. I have been to this coffeehouse several times as I lived close by for many years. Each one of the courses was done very well and served very well. The service was great - ok we did know the owner. But the same meal was served to others with the same attention.
The price was very reasonable compared to the other restaurants in the center of town - almost a factor of three to five less. The English translation of the menu made fun reading but one did get what was being offered up.
Even though this is a coffee house with small tables, they do have a creative chef who serves up a delicious aromatic duck selections, venison consomme w cranberry donuts, pike perch on a bed of black risotto w ginger jus, a very tender steak and nougat mousse.
Everyone in the party of six was full of rave reviews for the food. Go for the food- your taste buds will thanks you.

2  Thank atamrao
Reviewed December 3, 2014

I wanted a different kaffeehause experience and someone suggested me Café Markusplatz. At first glance it looked traditional enough, with a slightly retro 60-70’s feel to it. Trendy enough, I thought. Little did I know what was expecting me. I ordered the Expresso Markusplatz: hausgemachtes Nougateis mit einen Expresso übergossen. Safe enough I said to myself; as my german hardly qualifies as perfect I somehow was expecting a coffee with a toffee. The typically viennese tray came indeed w/ an expresso but to my surprise also with a small cup of ice-cream. Too embarassed to ask, I simply poured the coffee on top and embarked on one of the most outstanding – and yet so simple ! – culinary experiences in recent times. I still don’t know if I got it right, but do try it and make your own opinion !

1  Thank Carlos_Brito_Suisse
Reviewed September 7, 2014

We (unfortunately) stopped there for a Sachertorte Experience, which happened to be a dry, several day old, tasteless cake, negligently served. They say in travel guides that waiters in Vienna are not the most amenable in the world. Well, it seems it's true. At least, I would have hoped for the food to be right.