“Understaffing and cost cutting evident”

Hilton Vienna Plaza
Ranked #48 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 January 2018

After staying at the Hilton Budapest, an interesting comparison. I am currently a guest for 2 more nights.
1. Unlike most Hilton properties, when you call guest services from the room phone, you get connected to a central call agent that covers all the hilton properties in Vienna. This was unhelpful, took forever in many instances and resulted in contradictory information compared to the hotel's own staff, who, once put through to, were good. Solution: Hire more staff and allow each guest to speak to someone in their own hotel.
2. Complimentary water not in room and had to be asked for.
3. The seating at breakfast is a disaster - long waits, packed and food items (such as the herring salad with beetroot) all gone (a staff member stated they had run out) - too many tables in a cramped space in the main dining room downstairs; the corner tables are so cramped that once seated, you are locked in by the other guests around. When I asked the manager of the (upstairs) area about the wait, rush and chaos, he replied "get me a larger restaurant". If this chaos is a frequent occurrence (as it is here), a good hotel works out a solution instead of passing the discomfort on to the guest. Very disappointing. Solution: Hire more staff, reduce the number of tables, use additional dining areas, inform guests of the rush at breakfast at check-in, particularly guests with children.
4. The service style of some (but not all) of the front desk staff is mildly defensive rather than proactive and anticipatory.
5. The standard pillows provide poor neck support but I have yet to ask whether they have a pillow menu like many Hilton properties.
6. The mini-bar has wine but no wine glasses in the room, and when a glass was asked for a heavy lead crystal glass from a bygone era ("they are the only ones we have") was delivered.
7. On the plus side, the room size is generous, the bathrooms large and in good order and the bed size generous for a twin bed.

Room Tip: High floor, street view
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
HiltonHotelsAustria, Guest Relations at Hilton Vienna Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2018

Dear mirrorneurone,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us.

I like to apologize again for the experience made and as outlined in the direct conversation with our Front Office Manger we have already evaluated this matter with the respective department head in order to avoid such re-occurrences in the future.

Thank you very much again for your valuable comments. I do hope you will give us the chance to prove that we are indeed better hosts !

Best regards, Michaela

Write a ReviewReviews (1,472)

Reviewed 4 January 2018

As a diamond Hilton member I clearly stay at Hiltons often, and this is the worst one I have ever stayed at. I have never complained about any other Hilton. Waited 3 hours for check in being told several times that our room would be ready in "a few minutes". Finally did not get key until 3.10pm despite being told that they could not guarantee check in until 3pm. Manager then told me that he would book a table for us the following night and that we could have a free meal. I am then charged 50% of the meal. When I complained he said that he told us we would be charged this, however this was an absolute lie. 3 of us were present and all heard nothing other than this would be complimentary. Attitude of lounge staff also off hand and unprofessional . I have addressed these issues with the Manager of the hotel, who refunded the 50% charge as a "matter of good will". I told him there was no good will, as this should NEVER have been charged in the first place, and I should not have had to fight so much to have this charge removed! Clearly this attitude comes from the top! Trust me I stay at hotels often, and this is one to avoid. I was not the only one complaining at the time.

1  Thank Belinda S
HiltonHotelsAustria, Guest Relations at Hilton Vienna Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

Dear Belinda S,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I like to apologize again for the experience made and as outlined in your conversation with our Management directly, we truly regret if you have received a different impression.

Thank you once again for your valuable time and comments which help us to constantly review our services and to better adjust them to our guest needs.

Best regards, Michaela

Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

Where do I begin. We usually stay at Hilton's and I have to say our experience at the Vienna Plaza was the worst Hilton experience my wife and I have ever had.
I have let a month pass so as.not to write this review in the heat of the moment and let emotions settle.
To start we arrived at 11.30 am and were told the room would.be ready around 1pm. No issue with that so we went for a walk around the city and had a coffee close by to pass the time. Arrived back to the hotel at 1.20pm. The. Told room would be another 30 mins. Wait patiently only to be told won't be till 3pm as the hotel doesn't guarantee rooms till then. Now I don't ha e an issue with having to wait for a room but I do expect estimated time for a room would be reasonably accurate. If we had been told 3pm to start with we would have spent the time exploring Vienna not wasting ti.e sitting in a hotel. Finally room was ready at 3.20pm.
Next day complained to the shift management about this miscommunication. He said all the right things and promises to make things better by providing a free meal at dinner. We accepted this in good faith. I will return to this later
So we went out around Vienna arrived back at the hotel after 5pm to find our room unmade.
When we complained we were told that it was a very busy day and housekeeping hadn't had time to make up our room. Now we are Hilton honors status. But quite frankly I have never been to a hotel that doesn't have rooms made by 5 in the afternoon.
So.....after finally getting into our room around 6pm again having to wait for it to be made up we go for our free dinner. Yes but after we ha e been charged at 50 percent rate. Not sure about what a free meal means in German but pretty sure it isn't 50 percent discount.
Again we complained and were told that the management said it would be 50 percent. Now myself my wife and my 18 year old daughter all heard free but apparently we all got it wrong. Seems we all are idiots.
The hotel itself is nice and in a good location. We just seemed to have a series of misfortunes in our experience. Left a very poor taste in our mouths.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
HiltonHotelsAustria, Guest Relation at Hilton Vienna Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2018

Dear mikenz2015,

thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

Further to your comments I am shocked and deeply sorry to learn about the described events and all I can do at this point is to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences caused.

Allow me to assure you that I have already evaluated this matter with the respective department head in order to avoid such re-occurrences in the future.

I've been informed that our Hotel Manager is already in contact with you to address your complain.

However, thank you again for your valuable time and comments.

Kind regards, Michaela

Reviewed 3 January 2018

This was the perfect spot for us, just on the ring/plaza edge. So we were "in the mix" and could easily walk to most of the main destinations, yet it offered a much better value than some of the other brands inside the ring.

The staff was exceptionally nice and really went the extra mile to accommodate any request. Our booking got jacked up on Expedia (not any fault of Hilton's, just Expedia hanging us out to dry) yet these folks were so sympathetic at check in.

The rooms were clean and typical of a Hilton or similar. Modern and fully functional. My only reason for being docked one star was that the club level wan't worth the extra fee.

Book a corner room if you can. We had two rooms. One was a corner room on level 6 (not club level) and it was far nicer than the more expensive regular room on level 9.

Super folks throughout. More than adequate bar also with good selection at prices that will not gouge you.Room service prompt and friendly.

We would difinitly stay at The Hilton Vienna Plaza again.

Room Tip: A corner room offers more space and was not more expensive when we visited.
Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

We booked this hotel for our honeymoon and arrived New Year's Eve for 3 nights. We booked an executive room and I had rung in advance to make sure the room had a bath. I was told yes. The room was lovely - very spacious with great views but no bath. This was a little disappointing. The staff were very helpful - esowcially the concierge Ratko. The location was fantastic and the hotel is very nice. The executive lounge was a little disappointing and the staff were quite 'strict' with the timings. Breakfast was slightly rushed ( finished at 10.00 am) and it was quite busy in the lounge. Overall it was a nice stay. The city is amazing and I would thoroughly recommend visiting for the new year celebrations.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2018

My husband and I often stay at Hiltons since they're reliably clean, up-to-date, and have nice fitness centers. For our first European holiday we tried to avoid it for a more historic, local feel, but the reviews, photos, and amazing sale made it impossible not to book Hilton Vienna Plaza. The building is really beautiful outside and inside and location was a short walk to many places.

Check-in on a cold day before Christmas was made warm with our welcome by an older gentleman and fresh cookies. He was quite thorough and genteel and convinced us to add breakfast, which was a good idea. Who wants to be wandering around looking for food to start a day of sightseeing?

We chose a King Plaza room and it was really big for US standard, never mind Europe! Massive shower and everything looked new and fresh.

The fitness center was in an odd location and strangely arranged, but had what we needed so good enough.

Breakfast was plentiful and varied. Scrambled eggs were so-so but champagne was a nice touch. Just remember your coupon for breakfast or you'll be sent back.

Front desk was happy to check our luggage while we finished sightseeing before an afternoon train.

Another good one for Hilton.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2017

Very Nice hotel. Great location and clean rooms. Check in was easy and the hotel staff were very nice. Would definitely stay here again. Did not try the food in the restaurant but did have a glass of wine and the price was reasonable.

Room Tip: our room faced the street and had a great view but was loud at night.
1  Thank TNTXGirl