“A "FEEL LIKE HOME", TWO-STAR HOTEL.”

Novum Hotel Cristall Wien Messe
Ranked #323 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
Sao Paulo
“A "FEEL LIKE HOME", TWO-STAR HOTEL.”
Reviewed 24 March 2011

I found this hotel in booking.com and what make me decide for it, was the price. But I was worried with other reviews, posted here. And fortunately, this hotel, at least for me, wasn´t a bad experience. There is a metro station two (long) blocks from it and it´s beside a mini market, where you can buy snacks, soft drinks, to leave in the room. My room was the number 03 and for a single room, a very good one as you can see at the photos I have posted. A queen bed with good linen, TV, a big board with a safe in it and a garden view. Ok, the toilette was small and the shower my cause problems to those tall guys, but this can be arranged. Staff was very helpfull and breakfast, a good one to start the day and even on Sundays, it is served from 6:30am. The internet at first time didn´t connect but with some tips and help form the reception, I could get the signal. Anyway, there is a web station at the reception that can be used and you are not charged for it. From room number 03 I could here the sound of the S-Bahn trains and this could bother someone, but not me. It cannot be a good experience in winter and summer time, as I couldn´t see neither air conditioning, neither heating in my room. I must tell you to take care while making reservations at this hotel. Pay attention if the twin room, which is not refundable, hasn´t been marked with the room you really wanna get. As it is a not refundable reservation, you will have to pay at least this reservation, if you cannot be there as planned. This happens to me and even with the help from booking.com, I couldn´t get my credit card to be not charged. But in my situation, this wasn´t a problem because I did the trip.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Cid-from_Brazil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
USA
Reviewed 7 November 2010

We use this hotel for short stays when travelling through Vienna. Walking distance from Prater so when we are there we take an evening walk to Prater to see what is happening there. The center of Vienna is a short taxi ride form it and the location allows to enter the highway to Graz easily. The service is always good and we could get helpful information when we needed it. The breakfast and accommodations are average but acceptable. After all it is a 3-star hotel so luxury is not expected and reasonable rates are. having said that, Cristall does not disappoint. We also appreciated that we could have a room for a larger group, one bedroom, one entry room that can sleep two more and the bathroom. For our needs as we typically pass through Vienna, Cristall is the right choice. We did not experience any noise that would be a problem. So we call it "quiet" in our scale. We will be back.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Birmingham
Reviewed 5 September 2010

A very pleasant and welcoming Hotel throughout our stay from reception, waiters and cleaning staff, and which represented excellent value. Air conditioning would be a further asset to the Cristall but they do provide substantial fans in their rooms - these were spotlessly clean.

A nice central location very close indeed to the Danube, Vienna's splendid fairground (I generally can't stand them but this one is tasteful rather than tacky) and Praterstan Metro.

What a top City this is!

Villa actually scored a goal this time .... for all the good it did! :-(

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland.
Reviewed 28 June 2010

If you're looking for a no frills budget hotel in central Vienna this fits the bill. The single rooms were well designed, I could unpack, relax and work in this long narrow room without feeling the walls were closing in. The housekeeping staff were really outstanding, very friendly and helpful and had high standards. It is not the smartest part of town but it is only a few minutes to the underground and then two stops to the centre so it was perfect for getting into town and sightseeing and a cab ride home only cost 7 euro so that felt like a great deal.
Surprisingly, considering the rest of the hotel was well run, two out of the three reception staff seemed to be very angry and aggressive but maybe somebody was having a bad day. I was actually shouted at by Miss Martina, who seemed to be on a campaign of obstructiveness. On the plus side, the good hearty breakfast set me up for the rest of the day.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
split
Reviewed 4 August 2009

I traveled to Vienna with my Mum and Dad 2 years ago, we stayed in Zagreb, Croatia at the lovely hotel Palace, and planned to stay in Vienna for couple of days during winter holidays, we imagined a great atmosphere since it was very close to Christmas. But as soon as we got to this hotel our wishes to go sightseeing simply vanished. When you're having to return to something like this, you lose the slightest enthusiasm..
I was the first one to check in, my parents followed couple of hours later. When I came the receptionist gave me the room on the ground floor, the horror! Hotel with 3 stars with old furniture that doesn't even match, as if they got from the charity, no soap in the toilet, I called my parents to tell them, and my Mom told me to go straight to the receptionist to tell her this and to give me another room, so she did.
The room was ever worse.. In the attic this one, wall papers falling off, smelly, garbage still in the bin, broken shower door, filthy bed, old 70's or 80's furniture, just awful.
We stayed in Vienna for one night instead of 3, we called Croatia Airlines and went straight home to Croatia the next day..
The breakfast was so, so, nothing special.. When my Dad saw the hotel on the internet before making the reservation he was thrilled, a lovely 3 star hotel in center of Vienna, app. 100 euros per night per person.. what a cheat..
I'm a receptionist in the biggest Croatian hotel and my Mum is a head of the reception and we know what we're talking about..
When I travel I'm used to luxury and love nice hotels. I don't mind spending money on that, but this clearly wasn't a good bargain.. So I wouldn't recommend this hotel if you're like me..
On the other hand I do recommend this hotel to young teenagers who travel in groups and don't really care about the hotel, cause they're partying all the time anyway .)

• Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank little_traveler_cro

Travellers are raving about these Vienna hotels

London
Reviewed 30 April 2009

I was very pleased with Hotel Crystal! During Easter my family traveled around Europe so we had to search for good value hotels. I soon realized that hotels in Vienna were quite expensive when compared to Prague, for example. In the end I chose Hotel Crystal because of the price I have to say.... But I wasnt disappointed. We staid in a huge room with two double beds and plenty of extra space. For 4 people the room was perfect! The breakfast was also very good.Another plus is the patio where you can sit outside and have your breakfast! Pillar in the reception was very nice and helpful.
The deco is definitely not modern, but that's intentional! Not everywhere needs to be white minimalist!!! I liked the style there. Location very good, as well.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Bucharest
Reviewed 26 March 2008

The description on the site seemed nice but the reality was terribly diffrent. Hotel Cristall doesn't deserve it's three stars, and it needs immediate renovation. For starting, the first impression is that you go back in time, in the 80's. The entrance in the hotel is dusty and dirty and the reception hall (even if the receptionists are kind) looks unclean and unfriendly.
Although the bed linen and the towels were very clean, they seemed to be old and used. The room had a TV with a damaged screen, the images were divided in three colours: red, yellow, and blue. From three heaters only one was functional. Nevertheless, the breakfast buffet was ok, diverse and tasty. Luckily, Vienna offers so many things to see and to visit that you don't stay much in the hotel. You just go there for sleeping... still, if you are looking for a cosy low budget hotel, Cristall is not the place to be.
For its credit I will add it is situated in an area close to the centre and to Hundertwasser house and it is easy to get from there anywhere in Vienna.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Rooms & Hotel appearance
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank CriBucharest