1,064 results
All reviewshot tubrooftop jacuzzievening mealwafflesnorthern lightsafternoon coffeenice hotelincluded in the pricecomplimentary dinnerfitness roomtwo night staysaladsmall gymharbour frontfifth floorwaffle makerfree afternoon
Reviewed January 4, 2018

Perfect hotel. Lovely location. Friendly reception and kitchen personell. Clean and nice rooms. Love the jacuzzi and sauna on the roof With perfect view. Recommended hotel in Tromsø. Jacuzzi is a must
Goo

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed January 2, 2018 via mobile

Clarion Collection Hotel Aurora

Location-:
The hotel is facing the harbour; however, my room did not have the harbour view. From the jacuzzi on the fifth floor, we can have a panoramic view of the harbour, colourful harbour-front houses and Fjords. It is two streets away from Storgata, the main shopping streets. Along Storgata, there are many shops such as H&M, Cubes, Narvasen and other Convenient stores, supermarkets, Tromso Outdoor for renting thermal attires and boots, and the numerous tour companies. It is also within short walk away from the meeting points of the various tours.

Food-:
The main reason why I chose Clarion Collection Hotel Aurora is they provide half - board for food - buffet Breakfast and Set Dinner.

Buffet Breakfast-:
The buffet breakfast has a wide variety and is delicious. I enjoyed the breakfast very much. The breakfast starts at 8am. I had to miss one breakfast as I had to start my snowmobile tour at 7am. There was no problem on my other mornings.

Problem with the Timing of the Set Dinner-:
Salad and Main Course are served buffet style too. However, there is only one type of food is served as the main course per day.

I had an issue with the starting time of the dinner. Te dinner starts at 6pm but I had to be at the meeting point of my Northern Light Tour at 5.45pm. This point was not highlighted to me until I searched for it carefully on their official website nearer to the date. Before my trip, I wrote an email to Clarion seeking a solution to the dinner matter. Being a budget traveller, the free dinner is important to me. I suggested the following -:

1. Letting me start my dinner at 5.30pm instead of 6pm
2. Letting me pack the dinner so that I can eat it in the bus.

Both suggestions were flatly turned down. I further requested to have my dinner after my Northern Light Chase at 1am so I would not be having dinner before that. The staff informed that I could do so if I pay NOK90 per person. I readily agreed and was appreciative of it initially.

I communicated with Sebastian regarding having my dinner at 1am. He was very very helpful. Sensing my apprehension, he kindly asked me what was wrong. He heard me out and very kindly arranged the dinner for me . He further told me that I can pay NOK90 for a pack and go meal of sandwiches. It was the second day of my stay.

To be honest, I would rather pay NOK90 for a simpler pack and go as I was hungry by 6pm. I did not pay for a NL tour with dinner. The tour company did offer me hot beverages and cookies which I appreciate. Furthermore, I could not digest a full meal properly when I ate at 1am. This is my first gripe.

The staff who replied my email said that they worked with a tour company which starts their NL tour at 7.30pm. This was not informed during my booking. I might have considered going for the NL tour with the said company but by then, I had already booked my NL tour. The choice wasn’t made known to me.

The staff remarked that it was ‘not their fault’ that my tour company started their NL tour at 6pm which clashed with their dinner time. I was taken aback by her choice of words and find it offensive coming from an established chain hotel in the hospitality industry.

Afternoon Tea
They also free tea, hot and cold drinking water 24/7 at the lobby. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate and Norwegian Waffle are served from 3pm to 6pm. I appreciate the goodwill of serving Waffle and beverage .I don’t mind queueing up to make my own Waffle; however, only one Waffle machine was placed at the counter. The queue was long and it took a long time. It will be more appropriate to provide at least 2 Waffle machine to speed up the queuing process. I don’t think a Waffle machine costs a lot. This is my second gripe.

Environment-:
The hotel is dark with orange lights but it is quite elegant. I like the cosy lounge area at the reception counter. We could order drinks to relax there. We were allowed to sit there even though we did not order drinks. My family bought takeaway lunch and dined there. The staff have no issue with it.

Room & Amenities
An extra bed was arranged at an
extra charge. The room is spacious and cosy. There is a good heating system, so the room was warm and comfortable in winter. The toilet floor is also heated. All essential amenities are provided except toothbrush and toothpaste. There is a safe too. There are a few electrical sockets for charging my handphones and power banks quickly. The beds are firm enough and very comfortable. I had a good sleep.

They also allowed me to store my luggage after check out. Rikke helped me to check / enquire a few things in relation to my next leg of travel within Norway. I appreciate her help.

Emil did not smile. He looked rather nonchalant. In fact, he gave me the impression that he was stressed over his job.

I have to mention Sebastian in my review. He is the gem of Clarion Collection Hotel Aurora. He does not have an overly warm demeanour but he is certainly a fair and helpful person. He could sense my apprehension about having my dinner at 1am. Instead of ignoring my body language, he probed , found out about my problem and tried to find solutions for me. He gave me a sense of trust, as in I have a feeling he would render help and assistance to me.

Area of Improvement
Clarion Collection Hotel Aurora has to work on staff training in the area of communication and replying emails. First impression counts.

Conclusion
Would I recommend this hotel to my friends? It is a resounding yes!
- Good location
- Good value for money : S$270 for a room for 2 on half-board and beverages
- Good gym even though I did not have the time to use it.

Clarion Collection Hotel Aurora is my first choice of hotel in Tromso!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Justine L
Reviewed January 1, 2018

The room is too small even though the upgraded room. The light in room is too dark, very uncomfortable in the long polar night. Don’t eat any leaves vegetable in breakfast becoz I ate a big lump of mud! Too disgusted!! They should clear the vegetable more carefully! The bed is too small and be careful that you may fall to the groun when you are dreaming!

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank QIYANGH
Reviewed December 30, 2017

Great Staff and Meals and Excellent Location. Truly the Best place to stay in Tromso and all people here are extremely helpful and Evening Meal is truly a delight with good preparation. Just ask for something and Staff tries its best to do it.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2017 via mobile

Decent value. Food/snacks included in room rate; breakfast, waffles in afternoon, light dinner. Rooms were fine and clean. Good location central to activities. Fitness room was underwhelming, 2 bikes and some treadmills. No weights. Bar closed early but beer and wine could be purchased from the front desk. Easy distance from airport using Flybussen Express.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family