Clarion Collection Hotel Aurora
US$131
US$136
  • Breakfast included
Scandic Grand Tromso(Tromso)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$142
  • Breakfast included
Enter City Hotel(Tromso)(Great Value!)
US$131
US$129
US$121
  • Breakfast included
Comfort Hotel Xpress Tromso(Tromso)(Great Value!)
US$91
  • Bar/Lounge
Enter Amalie Hotel(Tromso)(Great Value!)
US$85
US$83
Tromso Bed & Books(Tromso)(Great Value!)
US$104
Priceline
1,040 results
All reviewshot tubrooftop jacuzzievening mealwafflesnorthern lightscomplimentary dinnernice hotelincluded in the pricesaladfitness roomtwo night staytea and coffeeharbour frontbreakfast buffet was goodwaffle makersmall gymfifth floor
Reviewed January 13, 2018 via mobile

Good location, good view and good reception staff on our check in.
The rooms are a bit small but neat and tidy.
View from the dining room is good too however I was surprised that a hotel of that size refused to cater to my vegetarian option for dining, inspite of mentioning the same when I had made the reservation.
Having just cold salad and a bowl of hot soup is not very satisfying on a cold day after a 5 hour road trip and that too having skipped lunch.
I liked the fact that they had a grey and a white towel in their bathroom.

Decent for a short term stay.

Stayed: January 2018
Hjemvoll, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Aurora, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2018

Dear nafisam,

Thank you so much for your review, this is important to us as we always work to improve our services.

I am pleased to see you appreciated our location,the view and our reception staff - they will be delighted to know.

Regarding the evening meal - our TONIGHT'S SPECIAL, this is a complimentary meal made on recepies common for Clarion Collection with vegetarian soup, salads and main course - meat or fish. As we are no ala carte restaurant we are unfortunately not able to accommodate special requests for this meal. Our reception staff will be more than happy to recommend one or more of the excellent restaurants close to the hotel.

We do hope to welcome you back sometime.

Best regards Inger-Helén Hjemvoll

Reviewed January 9, 2018

Stayed for one night in three rooms (to interconnecting) for a group of 5. Our stay included a buffet dinner and buffet breakfast. Both buffets were ok but a little limited in choice (only one main course at dinner).

Room was clean and functional. Our only comment would be the lack of lighting in the room - it was so dim. A few spot lights but overall it was just so dark in the rooms.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2018

One of the worst experiences as regards hotels. It doesn't deserve 4 stars. Need to improve cleanless, beds, rooms, meals, public halls etc All in all a total overhaul so no hope thus better stay away.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com
Reviewed January 4, 2018

Perfect hotel. Lovely location. Friendly reception and kitchen personell. Clean and nice rooms. Love the jacuzzi and sauna on the roof With perfect view. Recommended hotel in Tromsø. Jacuzzi is a must
Goo

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com
Reviewed January 2, 2018 via mobile

Clarion Collection Hotel Aurora

Location-:
The hotel is facing the harbour; however, my room did not have the harbour view. From the jacuzzi on the fifth floor, we can have a panoramic view of the harbour, colourful harbour-front houses and Fjords. It is two streets away from Storgata, the main shopping streets. Along Storgata, there are many shops such as H&M, Cubes, Narvasen and other Convenient stores, supermarkets, Tromso Outdoor for renting thermal attires and boots, and the numerous tour companies. It is also within short walk away from the meeting points of the various tours.

Food-:
The main reason why I chose Clarion Collection Hotel Aurora is they provide half - board for food - buffet Breakfast and Set Dinner.

Buffet Breakfast-:
The buffet breakfast has a wide variety and is delicious. I enjoyed the breakfast very much. The breakfast starts at 8am. I had to miss one breakfast as I had to start my snowmobile tour at 7am. There was no problem on my other mornings.

Problem with the Timing of the Set Dinner-:
Salad and Main Course are served buffet style too. However, there is only one type of food is served as the main course per day.

I had an issue with the starting time of the dinner. Te dinner starts at 6pm but I had to be at the meeting point of my Northern Light Tour at 5.45pm. This point was not highlighted to me until I searched for it carefully on their official website nearer to the date. Before my trip, I wrote an email to Clarion seeking a solution to the dinner matter. Being a budget traveller, the free dinner is important to me. I suggested the following -:

1. Letting me start my dinner at 5.30pm instead of 6pm
2. Letting me pack the dinner so that I can eat it in the bus.

Both suggestions were flatly turned down. I further requested to have my dinner after my Northern Light Chase at 1am so I would not be having dinner before that. The staff informed that I could do so if I pay NOK90 per person. I readily agreed and was appreciative of it initially.

I communicated with Sebastian regarding having my dinner at 1am. He was very very helpful. Sensing my apprehension, he kindly asked me what was wrong. He heard me out and very kindly arranged the dinner for me . He further told me that I can pay NOK90 for a pack and go meal of sandwiches. It was the second day of my stay.

To be honest, I would rather pay NOK90 for a simpler pack and go as I was hungry by 6pm. I did not pay for a NL tour with dinner. The tour company did offer me hot beverages and cookies which I appreciate. Furthermore, I could not digest a full meal properly when I ate at 1am. This is my first gripe.

The staff who replied my email said that they worked with a tour company which starts their NL tour at 7.30pm. This was not informed during my booking. I might have considered going for the NL tour with the said company but by then, I had already booked my NL tour. The choice wasn’t made known to me.

The staff remarked that it was ‘not their fault’ that my tour company started their NL tour at 6pm which clashed with their dinner time. I was taken aback by her choice of words and find it offensive coming from an established chain hotel in the hospitality industry.

Afternoon Tea
They also free tea, hot and cold drinking water 24/7 at the lobby. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate and Norwegian Waffle are served from 3pm to 6pm. I appreciate the goodwill of serving Waffle and beverage .I don’t mind queueing up to make my own Waffle; however, only one Waffle machine was placed at the counter. The queue was long and it took a long time. It will be more appropriate to provide at least 2 Waffle machine to speed up the queuing process. I don’t think a Waffle machine costs a lot. This is my second gripe.

Environment-:
The hotel is dark with orange lights but it is quite elegant. I like the cosy lounge area at the reception counter. We could order drinks to relax there. We were allowed to sit there even though we did not order drinks. My family bought takeaway lunch and dined there. The staff have no issue with it.

Room & Amenities
An extra bed was arranged at an
extra charge. The room is spacious and cosy. There is a good heating system, so the room was warm and comfortable in winter. The toilet floor is also heated. All essential amenities are provided except toothbrush and toothpaste. There is a safe too. There are a few electrical sockets for charging my handphones and power banks quickly. The beds are firm enough and very comfortable. I had a good sleep.

They also allowed me to store my luggage after check out. Rikke helped me to check / enquire a few things in relation to my next leg of travel within Norway. I appreciate her help.

Emil did not smile. He looked rather nonchalant. In fact, he gave me the impression that he was stressed over his job.

I have to mention Sebastian in my review. He is the gem of Clarion Collection Hotel Aurora. He does not have an overly warm demeanour but he is certainly a fair and helpful person. He could sense my apprehension about having my dinner at 1am. Instead of ignoring my body language, he probed , found out about my problem and tried to find solutions for me. He gave me a sense of trust, as in I have a feeling he would render help and assistance to me.

Area of Improvement
Clarion Collection Hotel Aurora has to work on staff training in the area of communication and replying emails. First impression counts.

Conclusion
Would I recommend this hotel to my friends? It is a resounding yes!
- Good location
- Good value for money : S$270 for a room for 2 on half-board and beverages
- Good gym even though I did not have the time to use it.

Clarion Collection Hotel Aurora is my first choice of hotel in Tromso!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family