All reviews northern lights hotel bar catch the bus located close outdoor activities basic room breakfast spread free coffee the main street rooms are nice hotel is centrally located reception area great breakfast buffet city centre junior suite aurora chasing midnight sun
Reviewed March 23, 2015

Was attending a two day conference at this hotel. During the night is was three false firealarms waking up all guests. According to the reception desk this was caused by drunk guests at a nearby bar having fun popping in and setting of the alarm. The reception desks inability to prevent this does not reflect well on their control of the situation. When the last alarm went off most people just turned in their bed and slept on. Very dangerous!

• Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank oilar
Maria K, Manager at Scandic Grand Tromso, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2015

Thank you for reviewing us!
We are sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. it is not always easy to control people, and in this case one person managed to break the manual fire alarm during the night, 3 times. This person managed to hide between the other restaurant guests so that we could not find him. This is of course bothersome for the guests trying to sleep at the hotel, and we are extremely sorry for this. We managed at the end to got hold of this person, and he was brought to the police.
We are sorry for the inconvenience. Please coem back another time, and we will give you a different experiende.

Reviewed March 17, 2015

Basic room & facilities in this mid range hotel. Beds were comfortable & all seemed clean. Room was on the small side as was the bathroom/shower & there was little storage space.. There was a fridge ( but no minibar) & no coffee/tea making facilities. We particularly liked the bedside lights- two each side of the bed- one specifically for reading & also the speakers so you could play music from your 'phone etc. Decor was clean & modern, with one wall depicting local landscape- great idea.
Wifi was free & easy to access.Maid service was OK, but our room was not cleaned by 2.30pm on the second day so we said not to bother.Breakfast was good-full range of hot & cold dishes- usual Scandinavian spread, but plentiful & tasty.
The hotel had no facilities such as gym/sauna etc. There is bar/club attached but we did not use.
However, our main gripe was the attitude of staff & service. The first night the young woman at reception seemed overwhelmed with the number of people checking in & gave us inaccurate directions to a local pub/restaurant which sent us in the completely wrong direction. This meant that by the time we realised the pub/restaurant was not where she said it was all restaurants were closed. On checking out we encountered a problem in that I had paid (or thought I had) on check in with a pre-paid currency card & had received notification from the card issuer that the money had been taken from my account. However, when we went to check out the receptionist stated that the bill was outstanding. I have never experienced this problem before & it took lengthy 'phone calls to the card issuer to resolve. It seemed that as the hotel had not charged the card on the first day that the funds went into some kind of 'no man's land'. The receptionist & manager seemed completely disinterested- particularly the manager- & showed little if any concern in assisting us to resolve the issue, which I have never come across previously. They did fortunately allow me to use their 'phone to call the bank in the UK, but their attitude appeared to be that I should just use another card. I explained that I did not want to do this as I had loaded up a card with NOK specifically to pay for accommodation & if I could not access this I'd end up losing money if I had to convert back to £ or end up with a load of NOK. The impression we had from the manager was that she was avoiding us & did not want to get involved- that it was our problem, which we had to sort out even though we had proof (text message) that the money had been 'taken' from my account. It was effectively up to us to resolve- which we did, but it meant that we lost over two hours of our trip in reception with little or no support or guidance from the hotel. I contrast this to my recent experience at another hotel in Stockholm, where any request or query was met with a professional, courteous & efficient response, giving the impression that the hotel's priority was providing a good service to their customers.This was not the case at the Scandic Grand.
We got a reasonable deal on the room, but when we return to Tromso as we plan to do- the Scandic Grand will not be our first choice from this experience.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for reviewing us!
First, we are extremely sorry that your stay here did not end up the way you wanted. We are sorry that there were problems with payment at checkout. This is due to a coulpe of sircumstances; we have a booking system that does not catch up every details from web-bookings, and the receptionist did not really understand what had happened. This could have been avioded with out these confusions, and we are really sorry for this. We are also sorry if our front desk manager seemed uninterested, she just thought that we hade to wait for the bank to answer. All in all, it is our fault, and we would like to compensate with a free night, if you are coming back to Tromsø. Please contakt me, Maria Kristiansen for this compensation. We wish you a happy Easter.

Reviewed March 10, 2015

The hotel room was clean and adequate. An underfloor heating in the bathroom made it comfortable to stay there. The receptionists were friendly, helpful and informative. Further, the breakfast buffet provided a well-balanced diet including gluten- and dairy-free nutrition. Coffee and tea were free all day Long. Wi-Fi was free as well and operated undisturbed.

Located in central Tromsø, the Scandic Grand provides easy access to supermarkets, Restaurants, sights and the main meeting points for outdoor activities. A bus stop is just around the Corner.

In brief, we absolutely recommend this hotel due to its excellent price-performance ratio in our case.

Room tip: Theres a noisy Ventilation in the patio
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you for rewieving us! We are happy to hear that you have had a great time here, and that you have enjoyed your stay in Tromsø. Welcome back any time! Happy Easter!

Reviewed March 3, 2015

Recently renamed hotel (from Rica Grand Hotel Tromsø) resulted that we passed the hotel 4 times before we realized it had a new name. Reception is friendly but seem constantly on the phone. Tee, coffee and hot choco is freely available in the lobby. Rooms are good, Noise is reasonable if you keep the windows closed. But heating can't be turned off and thus when oepening the window, big change you get waked up by a snow shoveller. Breakfast is absolutely fabulous. Many choices and really good taste!
Location is central (but so are most others). Parking the car is very expensive. In nearby city parking (which is a huge underground area linked to the tunnels), cost are 25 an hour with maximum of 10 hours a day, but if after 10 hours you do a trip a few hours and after return stay another 10 hours the same day, you pay 500 NOK a day! So some arrangement between hotel an parking facilities would be fine.

Room tip: A room at the Gronnegata could better be prevented based on street noise.
Date of stay: February 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Sander_Yoho
Maria K, Manager at Scandic Grand Tromso, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2015

Thank you for reviewing us! We are happy that your stay was satisfying, and wish you a warm welcome next time!

Reviewed February 26, 2015

I stayed in this hotel for one night during my business trip to Tromsø. The location is good, right in the downtown Tromsø, but that's pretty much the best thing about this hotel. The staff were also friendly and did their best, no complain about it. My room was nice and clean, although not too spacious. It was on one of the upper floors and on the opposite side to the street so there was no disturbance from the street. However, as noted in other reviews, there were two clearly audible noises: one from the elevator and the other from the disco (this was Thursday night). I had had enough refreshments at dinner so these noises did not disturb my sleep, but I can imagine that they would, if you're a light sleeper. I have stayed a couple of times in an other hotel in Tromsø and that's where I'm headed next time when I'm in town. Oh, the breakfast buffet was very good.

Room tip: If you're a light sleeper, this hotel is not for you.
Date of stay: January 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Ve8

Hi, and thank you fo reviewing our hotel. It is good to hear that you find our staff friendly, and the room and breakfast was good. We are sorry if noises have disturbed you. I can tell you that the lift you are mentioning is closed during night time, so it will not disturb your sleep. Next year we are renovation the lift, and the problem will be gone for good! Nevertheless, we would like to welcome you again som other time.