All reviews national gallery breakfast and evening meal free buffet nice hotel superior room the main street top floor nice breakfast karl johans gate expensive oslo cold cuts quiet room the heart of the city the location is perfect aker brygge royal palace rooms are small
Reviewed November 7, 2017

very nice located hotel
- perfect breakfasts
- evening meal included (even if not really special meals, good to have such option "for free")
- excellent (professional but also with natural approach) personnel in the restaurant and reception

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com
Guro Ø, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Savoy, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2017

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely feedback! It makes me happy to read that you enjoyed both the included breakfast and the evening meal, and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back sometime in the near future.

Reviewed November 5, 2017

I have been staying in the hotel for 2 years on the business trips and unfortunately l see that the service is getting worse and worse. Staff could learn from other hotels how to handle the guests. Evening meal included in price is no eatable and the cleaning could be done in the better way. Some rooms doesn't have the upper light and with not enough number of lamps they are quite dark. Especially in winter time. So lately it seems not to be the best value for money. In general besides all those minuses it's nice hotel to stay. Extremely good breakfast,good location.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com
1  Thank Paulina Ż

Guro.Osmundset@choice.no

Reviewed October 31, 2017 via mobile

Their booking system is so flawed it is almost difficult to understand how they could run this place. I can't tell you all about the troubles we had, but I'll give you a few hints; I arranged a trip for a few friends and booked one superior room for two nights, one superior for one night, one triple room for one night and last, one standard double for one night. A total of four rooms, three of them for the second night only that I had the first room. We were 10 people, friends and colleagues, that was supposed to go to the city for a get away. Our reservation confirmation clearly stated that the rooms would be paid for, in the manner we chose, upon arrival.

First, two of my colleagues had to cancel on Thursday (they had one of the one night rooms on Saturday). So I made sure that was in order. Or so I thought. I got the confirmation from the cancelled order for the standard room right after I put it in, but when I arrived at the hotel on Friday, they didn't know anything about the cancellation. I had to show them the e-mail I had, and they still told me they would have to look into it, they clearly didn't know what to do about it, and instead of just telling me they would fix it, I had to wait until the next day to find out it was in order. And only after I had stressed them about it.

My superior room, the one I kept for two nights, was occupied by me and a friend the first night, but the second night she had to go home, and another friend replaced her. I told the hotel about this in an e-mail a couple of weeks before arrival, and asked specifically that we would have our sheets changed after the first night, so that the second friend didn't have to sleep in dirty sheets. They told me this wasn't going to be a problem, and it shouldn't have been. Well, it was. I left the room at about 12.30 p.m., and hung out the "Please clean my room"-hanger on the door. When I came back at about 6 in the evening, no one had been there to do anything. My room wasn't cleaned at all. I called front desk and were told that I (!) had to understand that all of the cleaning staff had gone home for the night a long time ago... She actually asked me what I wanted her to do (in quite a rude manner)! I told her, calmly, that when I stay at a hotel, and especially in a Superior room I expect to get new towels, garbage taken out, new wine glasses, and since I specified it; new sheets. I got no apology for the inconvenience, at all, she simply told me she would look into it and see what she could do at this hour. I replied that I expected her to fix it and thanked her. A few minutes later a Polish woman turned up at our door, she couldn't speak either Norwegian or English, and hadn't gotten the message about changing the beds. So she gave us new towels, and took out the garbage, but we had to use our imagination and "sign language" to get her to actual change the bed, and not just make it. She huffed and puffed at the extra job...

This whole ordeal actually set us back quite some time, and what was supposed to be a fun start to the evening with the girls turned into a stressful situation where we almost didn't have time to eat before the show we had booked in the evening. All because the hotel wasn't capable of doing what they were supposed to...

We went out, and by the time we got back to the hotel, at about 3 a.m., I realised that the hotel had charged the card I put in for security upon reservation several months before arrival. I had not authorized this. In fact, I had authorized a completely different card when I arrived in my two nights room, and the other rooms were authorized to be paid for by one of the girls staying in each of them. I went straight down to front desk again, but the clerk couldn't explain it. Other than it was procedure for them to withhold money from the original card put in at reservation on the morning of arrival. First of all, this didn't make any sense, since my reservation clearly stated otherwise, as previously mentioned, and second of all, I hadn't authorized this withdrawal, so they actually broke Norwegian laws. Another strange thing is that one of the two rooms they charged my card for is the same one I stayed in from the night before. I had already paid for that with my other card. When I insisted they reverse these unnecessary and illegal transactions, they immediately told me they couldn't (!). At this point I had about enough of their incompetence. I was still calm, but told the clerk in a firm way that if she couldn't help me I expected someone above her to fix this before morning.

Well, they hadn't. I had to talk to three different clerks before I met one that took my problem seriously and confirmed that the cards we had authorized upon each of our arrival were to be charged, and that the amount they had taken without authorization from my second card were to be reversed to my account. Well, it took them several days to get this done. So for a total of six days they held about $400 illegally from my account.

I talked to about four or five different people behind the front desk during my stay, and only one of them actually apologized for the inconvenience I experienced. And that was after I pointed it out, that no one had said they were sorry.... The staff seemed calm and nice enough, especially the guy that was there when I arrived in Friday, but the system they are working in is a tragedy, bith for them and for their guests. It seems it completely ruins there ability to help their guests. I also overheard a conversation at breakfast, where six people had reserved three rooms, but when they arrived the hotel had charged them for six rooms.... I don't know where the flaws in their system is, but clearly they need to fix it.

It is too bad too, cause the room was spacious and beautiful (except for the shower, that was full of stains on the tiles), and we had everything we needed there. It is also a giant plus that they offer not only breakfast, but also an evening meal. I had some of it bith nights and lived it.

The hotel is located in a central spot, and therefore has no on site parking. But the location makes it easy to get around using public transport, or you can park in a nearby public parking house.

Despite all of the discomfort I experienced I actually like the hotel itself, this was my second time there (stayed there about 4-5 years ago). Still, this was also the second time they mixed up the reservation and this time they made such a mess i would certainly think twice before booking here again.... At least they should've been a bit more humbled and apologetic about their own mistakes... That would've helped. What I have explained here wasn't all we experienced either, so I actually think they should've offered some kind of compensation. They didn't, and they charged us fully....

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank InaMP
Guro Ø, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Savoy, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2017

Thank you so much for your honest feedback and for taking the time to give us a review. Your comments are truly appreciated and I can assure you that we will take your comments to further actions. If you have the time, I would really appreciate to discuss this matter further with you:
Guro.Osmundset@choice.no

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 29, 2017 via mobile

Hotel savoy is centrally located within easy walking distance of Karl Johanns gate. The rooms are clean and tidy but basic and the toilet paper is terrible! The beds are comfortable. The staff are always friendly and helpful. The bonus is the buffet breakfast and the evening supper all within the price. if you are traveling alone and want to avoid eating out in very expensive Oslo this is the hotel for you. The food is normally very good.

I have noticed recently a new trend in cutbacks at hotels which concerns me and now Hotel Savoy have joined this trend. That is, if you are stating more than one night you can hang a card on your door to say that you don't want your room cleaned or the towels changed etc. and for this the hotel will make a donation to charity. (It never says how much). My worry is that it is probably the cleaners who are making the donation because the hotel is not paying them to clean. So whilst we help one group in trouble we force another group into poverty and the hotels continue to achieve their profit margins.

If I am wrong and the hotels are genuinely ensuring that workers don't suffer from this initiative then I apologize and hope someone from the industry will explain how this charitable process works.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and for your kind words about our staff, it is highly appreciated.

I would also like to thank you for sharing your concerns regarding our new charity project. Nordic Choice Hotels has been working with UNICEF since 2008 to give child victims of human trafficking a better life. Over the years I am proud to tell you that we have raised millions, but it’s far from enough. We will not stop until all children are safe, so we want to do even more. That’s why we’ve started the Sweet Dreams Stay project. And it’s really simple. When you stay at one of our hotels, you can choose not to have your room cleaned and we will donate 10 NOK to UNICEF to help child victims of trafficking. Do this only twice, and you will have given a child a safe night’s sleep. It is an optional choice for our staying guests, and I can assure you that this project will not force another group into poverty.

Thank you for choosing Clarion Collection Hotel Savoy, I hope to see you again here in Oslo sometime soon.

Reviewed October 26, 2017 via mobile

Rooms clean and tidy, useful. My bathroom a bit weird but perfectly fine. Did enjoy the free evening meal. Actually, a full evening dinner w salads, soups, bread, dessert and two mains. Breakfast ok but I lacked espresso.

Locations conveniently close to Nationaltheatret and trains. Should be quiet normally but now road constructions.

Can recommend the hotel and will probably stay there again.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely feedback. It warms our hearts to see that you enjoyed our breakfast, and for the next time I am happy to inform you that we serve free espresso at the front desk.

We look forward seeing you again here at Clarion Collection Hotel Savoy!

Best regards,