All reviews royal palace discounted breakfast cooking supplies within walking distance private bathroom basic accommodation expensive city save some money airport bus would definitely stay here again national theatre station close to the city center main shopping tram stop single room visit oslo shopping street
Reviewed June 29, 2010

I stayed at Cochs for three weeks in 2008 and will go back to stay there this time when I travel. My room was of a good size,very clean, had a lovely outlook to the street below, was quiet and very close to slottsparken. It's further away from central oslo but the city is so small that I was able to walk around to everywhere I wanted to go. It might be pricier than a hostel but if you ask for a room with a kitchenette and cook your own meals, you'll save the difference in keeping food costs down. The staff were friendly although they tend to keep to themselves, and it would have been great to have more advice about things to see/do. On the upside it's quiet and peaceful and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2010

I reservate 2 nights at cochs. Upon arrival the couldn't find my reservation.. I needed a reservationnr by their confinrmation which i didn't knew i needed/or should get. I clearly made a reservation and ask a few questions..they answerd my questions and made twice a confirmation in our email contact. So there wasn't a reservation made and they didn't had any rooms available anymore. They tried to call a few hotels asking if they had any room which they hadn't. The lady showed me a hotel that costed 250 euro's p. night. so more then twice that much! This hotel was the only hotel with available rooms she told me but i needed to walk a while to the train station and catch the train for around 20 minutes! I was so Pissed that the reservation didn't came throught and now had to pay my own for a hotel that expensive and not even in the city self! I knew there where lots of hotels in Oslo she didn't call yet so ask her to call them. Unfortunatley they also didn't had any room or didn't pick up the phone. So needed to stay at that expensive hotel that night. She told me that they had 1 room available at cochs the next night. So as mad as i was i still wanted that room because of the good price. Earlier i reservate with a twin room with prive bathroom, for that next night she only had a triple room with a shared bathroom and i even had to pay more then my actual reservation!! I didn't needed a bed more, and didn't wanted a shared bathroom!We decided to take the room..but realized; don't we need a reservationr for that night then!? '' Oh sorry yeah you do'' they lady said..and made a reservation..HOW DUMB can you be!!
Cochs made me really mad for all those costs i had to make, travellingcosts for that far & expensive!! hotel..Cochs asked me to come the next morning to talk about everything that went wrong and all those costs. At first they only offerd me 15euro's discount on the room for they other night at their hotel. At last i getted the room for free.

I could be happy for that free room but still made a lot of extra's costs which they didn't want to pay for!

The only good thing i can say about cochs; real good location, just walking from the mainstreet through the park and arriving in your hotel. Is in a good surrounding with cute cafe's and restaurants.
I think it's one of the bests prices for a hotel at good location in oslo.

Buttt; we didn't showered in the shared bathroom because we found it dirty.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank anikaaM
Reviewed June 20, 2010

I stayed at the Cochs Pensjonat for one night during the third week of June 2010. (I had planned on two nights, but my original flight was canceled.) When I made the reservation in early March, there were no singles with private bathrooms available, so I booked a double at the nightly rate of 840 NOK.

The pro's included a very clean room, an exceptionally comfortable bed (albeit the very narrow European type), peace and quiet (with a view over an industrial inner courtyard), great shower pressure and hot water supply, and dependable free wi-fi in a second-floor room around the corner from reception. The staff was exceptionally attentive to my inquiries/reservation via email, and when I had to reduce my reservation by one night at the last minute, they confirmed the change promptly by email and without penalty. In person, the staff were very friendly and patiently helpful in familiarizing me with the public transportation system, etc. (Buy your tram ticket at the 7-11 up the street and save 4 NOK versus buying it directly from the conductor.) The tram stop where you can catch tram 17 or 18 for the 7-minute ride to the main train station is just a 5-minute walk straight out the front door.

Admittedly, the only thing that put me off the place was largely my own fault. Although I had a map of the hotel's location with me and had taken the airport train to the National Theater stop as indicated, the hotel was a much longer walk than it looked on the map-- it took a good 20 minutes even after I correct for walking past the hotel entrance without seeing it (because of the angle at which it faces the street, slightly back from the corner.) I later learned that I could have cut through the park that surrounds the Royal Palace nearby, but I wasn't convinced when I first arrived that all the gates would be open or that it would be safe to pass through at night. (It turns out the answer to both questions is yes, but I wasn't taking chances on my first night in a new city.) Even knowing the shortcut, I'd say it was a good 12-15 minute walk from the National Theater station, which you might not care to do with heavy bags or in bad weather. The better option, I think, is to take the train from the airport to the central train station (170 NOK on the express Flytoget train, or 110 NOK on the regular NSB train) and take tram 17 or 18 up to the Hogskolen/Dalsbergsstien stop. From there it's just a few minutes' walk around the corner to the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank SummerVagabond
Reviewed June 19, 2010

Room was clean and had been updated in the recent past. Good value comparatively for Oslo.

We booked the "Best" category double room, and when we arrived were assigned a tiny room with a single bed and a couch that converted to another single bed. We were told by the night manager that they had over-booked and this was all they had left. When we asked at the front desk the next day to switch rooms, the day manager tried to convince us that this was one of their "Best" double rooms. Seemed kinda shady... They did let us switch rooms, and the second room we were assigned was a big improvement.

The first room we stayed in was street facing and it was SUPER noisy outside, with people walking by singing, talking loudly etc. until 3am. The second room was on the backside of the building and wonderfully quiet.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2010

A good price for Oslo, the room is big and clean, there's also a small kitchen and a good view. The hotel is centrally located and near to some interesting places. It's perfect for people that wants to save money but also wants a nice place to stay

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple