All reviews common room linen and towels ensuite bathroom min walk oslo central station fi
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I stayed in the Anker hostel for 7 nights for a conference, in a 8 people dorm room. Pretty much everything about the stay was horrible, except the price. First, check in is only at 3 pm, and there are huge lines then. Before you can store your luggage in a supposedly locked luggage room, but it's always open, so don't leave anything there. They also moved things from one storage room to another so that friends of me thought their things got stolen, as they were not in the room where they left them. The rooms are basic, and probably okay for a hostel. But if you get put on the first floor, you can't open the windows at night. We had them tilted at night, as the air was horrible with 8 people sleeping in one room. First night the cell phone of a girl was stolen from right beside her head, and in the room next to us a guys camera was stolen. The people at the reception did not care at all and were no help at all. Second night we had a black guy try and climb in through the window. We went to the reception and reported it, we were told they'll call security, and to go back. 4 minutes later the guy somehow got inside the building and is coming down the hall. I went back to reception, and instead of coming with me (3 guys at the reception, and all girls in our room), they just said they had called security. Very scary experience and they could not have cared less. No phones in the room to call the reception either.

In addition, horrible management. I originally had a reservation for 6 nights, and extended by one night about a month in advance. When I checked in I asked if I could stay in the room and just pay the extra night (other nights covered by work), I was told that's not possible. When I asked why they had no answer, so they agreed that I could just stay in my bed, and just come down and pay the extra night the day before. The day before I found out from my roommates, who were in the same situation, that we all had to check out and then back in. That affected about 120 people, who were all there for a conference and all needed to extend their stay by one night. Even after talking to them again they insisted that we had to check out, take our luggage down, and check back in by 3 pm. Asked for the reason, they said it would otherwise be "too complicated". Image the line up at check out and then check in. And in addition everyone had to get new towels and linen, just for the last night. What a waste of time and resources.

Lastly, the breakfast is the most basic you'll ever see. Some bread and cheese (very basic sliced cheese) and cheap breakfast meats and jam and cheap orange juice and bad coffee, plus milk and some cereal. For NOK40. You could get a raisin bun and better coffee for NOK15-20 at every 7eleven, so don't pay for it. Really a waste of money.

Oh, and the wireless internet hardly ever worked, and surprise, the staff did not care. And that over 7 days....

Date of stay: June 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank ArcticMontreal
Reviewed July 28, 2010

This is a good hostel, but due to it's size the entrance can feel like a small airport than a hostel. the Staff work hard but do seem a little over-worked. Security is good, location is good, and even though it is located in what seems a bit of a dodgy part of town, I found Oslo generally quite backward in terms of tramps/junkies/drunks, so being in a dodgy part of town is relative. The place is huge, but the rooms are good, facilities fine and for the price, a good stay.

Date of stay: July 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed June 22, 2010

i was very disappointed at the staff- they seemed as they didnt want to be there, completely ignored you
the rooms were clean but the hostel as a whole was dirty
check in is at 3pm and you can leave your bags in reception
breakfast is not included, but you can buy a voucher for 50 kr to have a very basic breakfast in a near by coffee shop

Date of stay: May 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed May 22, 2010

Remember the Icelandic volcano when all flights in Europe were cancelled? The Anker refused to return our deposit even though it was impossible to fly there! We canceled as soon as we were told the flights were canceled.

Date of stay: April 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed May 17, 2010

Considering it was the cheapest accommodation that I found in central Oslo, I was pleased with what I found. I agree with the reviews that say that the area where the hostel is located is not the most pleasant; however you don’t feel threatened or scared especially if you have lived in other multicultural cities. Even though the price of the hostel was expensive for a hostel it was clean, the staff where very helpful and when you take into account that everything in Norway is incredibly expensive, it was good for the price we paid.

The room with kitchenette and bathroom were basic but very clean. Water was boiling hot with a good powerful shower.

We had no problem with noise.

We were able to rent the kitchen utensil for 100NOK deposit to make dinner which saved us a fortune.

Date of stay: May 2010