“Typical Thon hotel”

Thon Hotel Trondheim
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Trondheim
Reviewed 19 November 2017

Centrally located, simple standard hotel, a typical Thon hotel.
Decent breakfast, clean and tidy but nothing extraordinary. You get what you pay for (at Norwegian prices).

The best thing about the hotel is the central location.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 October 2017

Extra good price, excellent location, friendly and service minded staff.
Will come again!!
Good restaurants and shops near by. Easy access from the bus from the airport.
Rooms clean and good service from staff at hotel.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2017

Narrow and uninviting room with a tiny bathroom. Using the toilet was most challenging, possible only after shoving the shower doors out of the way. However, without any means of attaching them to the wall they would instantly slam back into position. Most economy cruise ship cabins are more spacious.
Ventilation/air condition was poor and opening the window at night was no option due to street noise.
I was here on a business trip and did not make the reservation myself. The hotel is obviously aiming at budget tourists but its standard made me wonder if tourism ever will become "the new oil" in Norwegian economy...

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 September 2017

We travel a lot, and we usually stay around 100-120 nights a year in hotels. I can honestly say: we have never EVER paid so much for so poor sleep quality!

I also find it extremely bizarre to discover a sign with the letters "BUDGET" outside the hotel entrance - when we have just paid 1200 NOK / night - which for instance is exactly the same price the Radisson SAS Royal Garden Hotel, 4 stars, nearby, charges... (in addition, the 1200 NOK is not even the full price! - the "normal rate" is around 1400 NOK)

Okay, lets do the positive first:
-Location is perfect
-The room interior was modern (furniture, not ventilation / ac)
-Coffee machine in reception area
-But that's about it..

Negative:
-The rooms have NO ventilation or AC (!) You will find a very small slot close to the ceiling, and in the middle of the night a rather noisy fan startet up in there, so something was going on.., but ventilation requires 2 - two air vents, one outlet and one inlet, and also bigger vents than a microscopic hole in the wall. Result: The room had a temperature of 23-24 degrees C, in september..

-So what do You do ? -Well, to open a window sounds like the only solution, right ? -Wrong: The windows only opens maybe 5cm in the top (!) At 2 AM the first night I gave up on trying to sleep, and went down to the front desk and described the problem. They could provide me with a handle (which they had removed from all the rooms...) which actually made it possible to open the windows. Problem solved right ? -Wrong: The noise from the traffic and the city was extreme. I don't know why, but a hotel room in Bangkok or Manhattan is way more silent.. So the first night we had the choice between a warm room or a noisy room... Got 4 hours of sleep before I had to visit a customer friday morning..

-On friday, I asked the nice girl at the front desk if we could please get another room, maybe one facing the back yard, so that we could have some air without the noise. And she lies to my face: This is a hotel with 7 floors, maybe 15-20 rooms in each floor, and this is a friday... -She actually tell me that NOBODY is checking out on fridays on this particularly hotel (!!!) So all the business travellers stay until saturday or sunday... The only room she could provide for friday afternoon was 701.. 701 is a smaller room, they call it a queen room, we had paid for a "standard double room". And 701 was the ONLY room that would be available that day... Of course we could see ourselves that a lot of people of course checked out, and other people checked in, like they always do on fridays.. Of course we got a refund for the price difference ? -Wrong! Never saw a krone, never heard an apology.

-So we stayed the last night in 701, narrow bed, tiny room, window open all night, but got better sleep.

-Breakfast... : Could have been mediocre / ok. But who is responsible for the food, do they have a chef / cook ? -Fried eggs: They had been laying there so long that they looked and felt like plastic. I am not kidding: when we tried to penetrate the egg with a fork it was almost impossible! -Did not try to taste them, must have been a health hazard.. Soft boiled eggs ? -Tip to the "chef": You will find boiling times for eggs on the Internet! Scrambled eggs ? -Made from powder... Fruit juice ? -Made from concentrate.. Come on ? A decent breakfast it not that difficult - start by firing the cook / chef ?

Very disappointed. I am also a "Thon member", maybe this got me some goodwill ? -Nooo, but it did get us 1 bottle of water and a newspaper the first day!.... Fantastic.

Comment on the ratings below:
Service: Nice and friendly staff - but when they are lying to my face, it is a 1
Rooms: Sleep quality is the most important factor, so it is a 1

Room Tip: Any other hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2017

The room was clean and cosy, it served our needs, and the location of the hotell was superb, in the middle of the town. There was a direct door from the hotell to a big shopping centre. The staff was very serviceminded. Breakfast tasted very good as well. I recommend this budget hotell.

Room Tip: View to backyard is only roofs. View to street is not very noicy, so I recommend this, since it had...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2017

The room was nice and clean and had all I needed for a shower and a good night sleep. It was no unneccesary luxury, but suited my needs for a stay perfectly. It was a small, but very clean bathroom with really nice towels.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

In the middle of Trondheim city next to a mall. Small but very nice rooms. We spent a night with our small kids and can highly recommend this hotel. There is a car park in the cellar that does not belong to the hotel but they have their own access to it. Nice breakfast facilities. I would like to stay here again if I'm going to Trondheim.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family