“Great hotel with spa, pool and gym”

Empire Hotel Llandudno
Ranked #10 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

Recently visited the empire hotel in Llandudno, and think it is under rated as a four star hotel. The hotel boast two restaurants, a number of lounges and bar,
serves breakfast buffet or waiter service a superb four course dinner and afternoon tea or snacks.

The rooms are very comfortable and a nice touch is a free decanter of sherry to welcome you.

The hotel has a gym, steam room and sauna and a swimming pool and it’s possible to book spa treatments.

Our first visit but certainly won’t be our last, strongly recommend.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 October 2017

Stayed one night in room 66. Never again. Room is at rear of building on top floor. Unfortunately, outside just further down to the left of the room are the kitchen extraction fans and a plant (machinery ) type room. See photo. Poor nights sleep due to the incessant noise from these going on all night. Also TV remote wouldn't work ( due to flat batteries ). These we changed. Also on arrival, stale water in kettle. Pity, as it's a new room, well appointed and modern but not worth £150 per night. Bathroom is also very small with a very narrow entrance via a glass sliding door. On the plus side the hotel has lot's of facilities and the Breakfast was very good. We had stayed the 2 nights previously at the sister hotel, Osborne House, so in fairness The Empire had a hard act to follow. For us, Osborne House wins everytime.

Room Tip: Get a street view room.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2017

We have enjoyed several stays at The Empire over the years, with groups of friends, so when it came to celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary with our closest friends this was our first choice- and the best choice we could have made. From the moment you walk in the door their service is the best. We stay at a lot of hotels in this country and abroad, so this is not said lightly. The decor of the hotel inside and out is beautiful, rooms are spacious and so comfortable, and the staff are friendly and attentive. We enjoyed a fantastic meal in their restaurant Saturday night, such good value for money, and the breakfast is exceptional. I could not write this without also mentioning the wonderful Elise, who obviously loves her hotel and wants to ensure her guests have the best time and are well looked after - thank you all for making our stay and the start of our wedding anniversary celebrations a happy occasion, before stage 2 in Corfu !!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are fantastic
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 September 2017

For me, this hotel has got it all, a great location (parking a bit dodgy but doable, just park and the staff will move your car so don't worry). The bedroom, bed and pillows were top notch (I take my own pillow everywhere, didn't need it here). The pool was small and intimate and empty when we went for an early evening swim as everyone seemed to be in the pool restaurant (you can see them from the pool). We ate out in our favourite Sea Horse restaurant opposite but the breakfast in the Empire is excellent as I'm sure the food is in general. The piano lounge with entertainment was most enjoyable with everyone singing along to the songs played on the piano as we recognised them, nostalgia revisited! The staff were courteous and most attentive and it felt like home from home as soon as we walked in. The best fun was jumping into the outdoor splash pool before bed around 11pm!!! it was so much fun for me and my 13 yr old niece. Lovely place to sit outside in the sunshine, very private and quiet. Thank you and we will always come back now we have found our perfect place in Llandudno. Bringing my husband next. The family history of this hotel speaks for itself, they're doing a great job!

Room Tip: Can't imagine there's a bad room anywhere in this hotel
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2017

I stayed here for a couple of day’s holiday in Llandudno during the autumn last year. This was a mixed bag of elements for me. There are some quirks that really make it special but then other details that let this hotel down here and there. Firstly, when I arrived for check-in, at the reception you come across a lift to the side of the reception desk that you expect to use. Not the case for me. I was taken to a 'secret lift' round the back of the hotel that looked like the goods lift, and had to use this lift to specifically reach my room. I'll be honest whilst others might have felt like a celebrity going through a back entrance, I did not appreciate this. It just felt odd coming down for breakfast each morning passing through the staff areas and unused evening rooms to get to breakfast due to having to use this different entrance.

As for the room, what I liked was the array of tea/coffee facilities, and the gingerbreads/biscuits in the sealed glass preserving jars were a nice touch, they tasted homemade and it felt very unique to the usual packaged items offered in hotel rooms. I did smell what smelt like a plumbing issue though although I couldn't make out if this was my room or somewhere else as it was in between the bathroom and the room door towards the corridor. I couldn't visibly see any plumbing issues so ignored it. The room had a golden chandelier which was rather different. Although I reckon the room overall could’ve done with a clean, I'd be surprised at how clean these rooms are as there is so much complex furniture in them it must be impossible to be properly cleaned and maintained constantly.

The pool was satisfactory, it is rather small for swimming but since I was the only person using it at the time it didn't really matter. There is an outdoor pool ut it was not warm enough weather at the time I stayed here (October) for its use but I reckon that would be a nice touch in the summer.

The restaurant was good, I liked the separate tea/coffee room for after dinner located across the other side of reception. The staff very pleasant and friendly.

Anyone walking here from the railway station be aware it is a good walk and there are several inclines en-route from the station so have some good walking shoes on. The hotel is close to the beach and promenade areas.

Overall if the price is really decent in comparison to others I'd give this hotel a go for a short stay.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank BluFast
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

I booked 2 nights at the Empire during the week. There were some good deals direct on the website. The booking process was very easy and I had a follow up email a day or so later to confirm everything. A deposit was taken to cover the first night. On arrival I manage to find the car parking. Its a little tight when full but I would rather have parking on site as opposed to finding a space on the street. If you block someone in (or are blocked in), the hotel can move car(s) for you. The reception is very nice and the staff greeted us on arrival. We were shown to our room by a member of staff (who carried our cases). The man explained some of the room features and noted we should have milk (for tea/coffee) in the fridge and towels for the pool. We didn't find either of the above but a quick call to reception and this was sorted out. We tried out the pool and jacuzzi. The jacuzzi wasn't as warm as we would of liked. The pool was nice and enough room for a swim. Our budget queen room was very nice. Its a decent size for a short stay. The bathroom was good too with a decent shower and hot towel rail which made light work of drying towels. It should be noted the bathroom gets warm but this can be offset by the very good air con within the room. We dined on both nights and the food is a real gem. The quality and taste were excellent. I couldn't fault it. The staff who ran the restaurant were attentive and friendly. You really felt looked after. There are 4 courses with plenty of choice for the starter, main and dessert. After dinner we relaxed in the lounge. There was a nice ambience in this room. It would of been nice to hear the piano being played. The breakfast is great with a good choice of continental items. You can also get some cooked items yourself or order via the waiter. The hotel location was really handy for walking up the great orme and also getting into the town centre and sea front. I would really recommend staying here, the hotel is well run and pride is taken in everything they do!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

We stayed on the hotel's Sunday night special offer, again, and you couldn't fault the value for money. It's a beautiful old Victorian building, and with some renovations they've combined modern features with classic lovely Victoriana & opulence. It's also a fabulous location - just 5min stroll to the pier!

Bed, breakfast & evening meal - it was a 4-course evening meal which was gorgeous (paid £5 extra for the divine fillet steak), and then a breakfast of as many courses as you wanted to make it (with the 'English breakfast' part being waiter-served).
The pool is fabulous, the extended bar area is really lovely & was busy with guests, which felt great!

Our room was a twin and the beds were fabulously comfy. Newly updated bathrooms. Room had tea & coffee & facilities plus biccies & a tot of sherry. Great tv with freeview channels. Security safe. (The only thing we weren't too keen on was the clothes hanging/storage area that didn't have a door/mirror over it. )

Will absolutely be back - for our 7th stay!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandudno
0.8 km away
4 km away
Bodysgallen Hall & Spa
Bodysgallen Hall & Spa
#15 of 60 in Llandudno

Been to Empire Hotel Llandudno? Share your experiences!