“Not quite fine dining”

Bodysgallen Hall & Spa
Ranked #15 of 59 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 7 December 2017

Lovely old hall run by the National Trust as an hotel and spa. On arrival we were warmly greeted into a warm and homely large lounge and then into Reception. Efficient friendly sign in and bags carried to our room by the porter. No lifts!

Afternoon tea scones, cream, jam and tea all served when needed in one of 3 lounges infant of a warming(gas effect) log/coal fire. Looked good, worked well. Could equally well have been brought to the room.

No tea/coffee making facilities in the room but both can be provided on request- saves having to pour the water into the kettle.

Evening meals - limited seemingly unchanging menu which at £45 for 2 courses we thought was expensive, slightly boring and not fine dining. Looked pretty but lacked flavour. By the 3rd night we needed a change, which in fairness was offered, but by then it was too late.

My son-in-law cooks better food, fun of flavour, but perhaps not so pretty.

Breakfasts excellent.

Service at all times was of high quality

Room Tip: It is likely that all rooms have good views. Size and shape constrained by the age of the building
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Elgan R, General Manager at Bodysgallen Hall & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2017

We are pleased that this reviewer enjoyed their stay on the whole and thank them for their kind comments about the hotel and its service , and appreciate their positive comments given at the reception desk on departure.
We would have welcomed the opportunity of addressing any criticisms offered by this reviewer at the time, as we always want every stay at the Hall to be remembered only for the right reasons, and our three AA rosette accoladed Chef would have been happy to offer alternative dishes.

Reviewed 4 December 2017

I booked this as a surprise for my husbands 60th b'day. An overnight stay with evening meal and breakfast last weekend.
My husband loves old stuff and I thought this would be interesting for him, and not what we would normally go for.
I saved up for the treat and off we went last weekend,
On arrival the staff were very pleasant and helpful, our room was nice, my husband really liked looking around the old place.
Then, we went for evening meal... we had a two course main meal and desert, my husband had the steak for £7.50 extra, I ordered the slowbaked lamb, expecting itto fall apart when you touched it. what a dissapointment, firstly it came a very small piece of meat looking more like steak, when I tried to cut into it, out came the blood, uhhh, I asked for it to be cooked more as it was described as slow baked, it came back as 5 small pieces of meat like strips out of a stir fry,was very chewy and no side dish, ie veg chips etc.
All that was on my plate was one sliceof carrot , the its of meat and what resembled a dry half piece of cabbage leaf. I wasnt asked if I would like any side dish with veg on it or chips, my husband at this point had finished his meal.
I had cheese for afters, but was mainly soft cheeses, I thought a nice mature welsh cheddar would have been there,
So all in all, food was very dissapointing, very expensive for what wwe got.
Breakfast was one sausage one piece of bacon, wasnt offered another extra considering I didnt have the trimmings, eggs, tomatoes etc.
When we came to check out the bill was dearer than expected as someone wrote down we had a three course meal the night before,
It did get sorted, and we did get a bit knocked off for the amessing about with the lamb and the manager did ask me was I asked if I wanted veg to which I said truthfully, No.
Weve been now, but dont think we'd return, based on the food side of our stay, thought it was very very expensive for what we had.
I must point out also, the two young french waiters in the restaurant were very nice polite and friendly,

1  Thank c a
Elgan R, General Manager at Bodysgallen Hall & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2017

I thank this reviewer for their complimentary comments about their accommodation, and the staff, I remember speaking with them on their departure. This complaint was primarily that the reviewer did not enjoy the way that the lamb was cooked, which was in a water bath at a temperature below 70 degrees, which allows the meat to cook slowly without losing its pink colouration. As clearly stated on the dinner menu, additional vegetables are available on request. The British cheese selection always includes hard, soft, blue, smoked and goat’s cheese, with the Caerphilly being of a similar texture to Cheddar. Breakfast orders are cooked to the specific orders placed, for example if we are asked for “A sausage and bacon” that is what we presume the guest requires. As there was clearly a difference between what we offered compared to what the reviewer assumed, a gesture of good will was made on the account, a gesture not reciprocated by this review.

Reviewed 4 December 2017

I booked this place for my husband's 50th birthday and it was fabulous. The hall itself is magnificent, the grounds are stunning and very accessible and the food was out of this world.
We started the stay with a bottle of champagne which I had ordered for our arrival. At three o'clock we took Afternoon Tea in the library and in the evening we dined in the restaurant for delicious birthday dinner.
The hotel is like stepping back into an Agatha Christie novel. You are half expecting to discover Miss Marple and Mrs Bantry taking taking tea in the lounge or Hercule Poirot perusing the many books in the beautiful library. It is a step back in time both in the service from staff and the decor around the hotel. I fell in love with it instantly.
The room was spacious and we had magnificent views across the park land with just the sound of bird song or sheep bleating close by.
My favourite part was taking Afternoon Tea in the library - the sandwiches were delicious and the cakes divine. It was just a perfect way to spend the afternoon.
Dinner in the evening was a delightful affair. The dining room is simply, yet elegantly furnished and our table provided views across the valley towards Conwy.
This place is on my 'Return to List' and we will be doing so in the New Year with my parents for Afternoon Tea! I can't wait.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2017

Thirteen of us celebrated a friend's 90th Birthday with an excellent lunch at Bodysgallen yesterday ! Where else would anyone go for location, ambience, excellent food and service and a welcome that would ensure that everything would be perfect !

To complete the day my wife and I stayed in one of the elegant and charming cottages adjoining the Hotel

Room Tip: All rooms have their own particular charm. Some of the cottages have their own garden
Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank 707dennis
Reviewed 20 November 2017

Two night break in a superior cottage. Great walks, superb spa and excellent restaurant. Chose a cottage as we had the dog, who had a bed and treats waiting in the room! Well recommended the staff are excellent and cannot do enough for you.

Stayed: November 2017
Reviewed 14 November 2017

We stayed here for one night to enjoy some spa treatments and some fine dining. Upon arriving at the very impressive National Trust hotel, the door was opened for us and with check-in being very quick, our bags were carried to our room for us. This set the tone for the most fabulous service by the Bodysgallen staff.

Our room was spotless and had the most amazingly large bed! The views over the grounds were spectacular even this late in the year (November). Everything is so well maintained in the hotel and grounds it was a real pleasure to stay here.

The spa is just a short walk down a steep incline - or you can take the longer, easy walk down - and doesn’t look like a spa from the outside, more like an NT cottage. Once inside we were made to feel most welcome and had tea, coffee, biscuits and cake beside the open (gas) fire which was lovely. We went for a swim in the impressively sized pool, tried the sauna, steam room and jacuzzi before getting ready for our treatments. My partner had a full body hot stones session and a facial both of which she enjoyed, whilst I went for a full body massage. Sonia (I think that’s what she said her name was) was great and my massage was so relaxing that at one point I almost fell asleep. I wanted the hot stones treatment too but due to me having slightly high blood pressure this wasn’t possible. I was certainly not disappointed by the massage, in fact it was just great!

For our evening meal we had pre-dinner drinks which included canapés which was a lovely touch. For our fine dining experience we started with scallops and then I had welsh lamb for my main whilst my partner had sea bass. The lamb was cooked well enough but we both felt that our food was just a bit….bland. The lamb was a bit dry for my liking and the scallops were cooked well but not setting the world on fire. We had the cheeseboard and that was good and then we retired to the library where I had calvados and my partner had tea by the fire, chatting with other guests. The service throughout the meal was faultless - just outstanding and the little chocolates were a nice touch so that we really felt that we’d been treated impeccably. If the menu had been a little bit better I’d be raving about the experience even more.

The whole experience was fantastic and I cannot commend the staff highly enough. A 5 star experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 8 on the top floor and it was great!
Reviewed 12 November 2017

I’ve been to a couple of corporate events at the Hall so thought I’d try a stay. Everything was adequate but definitely not a luxury experience. Dinner was particularly underwhelming hardly fine dining and not worth the price. Tables are too close in the dining room consequently you cant speak in anything other than a whisper. At breakfast the couple next to us had smoked haddock and we were so close that the smell was stomach churning. Spa is very basic and seems an after thought - steam room could do with a good scrub, no water in sauna and tired jacuzzi. Gym was well equipped if compact and bijou. Afternoon tea was nice but nothing special. Best thing about the stay .....homemade shortbreads in the room. Overall the whole experience was oppressive and awkward.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerBH, General Manager at Bodysgallen Hall & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2017

The Telegraph Travel Destinations recently wrote, “Bodysgallen Hall, with its fabulous views, lovely gardens and popular spa, is both a luxury hotel and historic house, which has been progressively built over the course of 600 years. It's old fashioned, but still has all the 21st-century mod-cons.”

We are sorry that these guests did not enjoy their visit to National Trust’s Grade I listed Bodysgallen Hall. We always endeavour to exceed to meet the expectations of our guests, and it saddens us on the rare occasions that we do not.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandudno
3.3 km away
Chateau Rhianfa
#1 of 5 in Menai Bridge
34.9 km away
Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa

Been to Bodysgallen Hall & Spa? Share your experiences!