All reviews rail discoveries car park sea view sea front toast evening meal dining room kippers reception area twin room bath shower close to town tea coffee facilities weekend break third floor coach tour visited this hotel
Reviewed October 3, 2017 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel while I was attending a conference locally and was pleasantly surprised.

My first impressions were seeing the hotel from the car park entrance which was dark and had benches for anyone needing a cigarette. Once inside there is a lift or stairs taking you up to Reception.

The Reception area is lovely, nice and bright with comfortable leather armchairs overlooking the seafront and large sofas, a lovely place to relax while waiting for friends.

My room, sadly overlooked the car park but to be honest I had no plans to stay in my room other than to sleep. It was clean, and nicely furnished, tea and coffee facilities and a flat screen tv in the bedroom area and a lovely bathroom (well, shower room).

I did have a problem, there was a noise coming from the pump in the toilet but after reporting this to Reception it was resolved quickly.

The staff were really friendly and helpful, always smiling and happy to talk.

My friends and I, there were 16 of us, enjoyed our evening meal on the Friday which cost £19.99 for three courses but it was very tasty and we couldn’t fault the service. Breakfast was delicious and consists of a buffet table of cereals, fruit, fruit juice, tea and coffee followed by a menu of breakfast items made to order, I settled for a cooked breakfast and it was delicious.

My only problem was the electronic key card which didn’t always work first time. It got a bit frustrating after a while but I’m sure there was a knack.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank simonderby1971
Reviewed October 2, 2017 via mobile

This is one of the nicest hotels that we have visited in recent times. The hotel is on the sea front and within reach of the sights and also shops and restaurants. The hotel is very comfortable and has easy access to the above floors with having a modern lift. The decor is pleasing and had a small but comfortable bar where the drink prices are reasonable. The staff are all very pleasant and helpful. Finally, the room is comfortable only disappointment is that there is not a lot furniture to place your clothes. However, the entertainment in the evening is first class with good professional entertainers and I have left this to my last comment, the food provided in the hotel is really very good and with a good menu. It's a very good hotel to Visit.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank clyde678154
Reviewed September 15, 2017

Several of our number commented, after a couple of days, joined with us in thinking that the hotel was not up to the standard of a three star hotel. It was difficult to pin point quite what was not right. The restaurant served good food and did so swiftly so food got to the ables still very hot and was well presented. The waiting staff worked hard to make the system operate. Overall there was a general feeling that there were not enough staff to get everything done. Certainly the bar was understaffed and we had to search for someone to come to slake our thirsts.When you got a drink you had to go to the front desk where the only functioning card machine was housed. The rooms were clean and well cared for. We were in rooms in the roof which gave us a good view of the sea where there was very little going on but we had a daily visit from a seagull. I think he was used to being fed at breakfast time. There was adequate parking, a lift and a bi, well furnished lounge. So what was it that was not right?
So what was it that somehow made us in our own minds reassess it as a good quality three star guest house. I would go there again now I know what to expect from a family run establishment.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank John F
Reviewed September 10, 2017 via mobile

Just returned from a week at the Kensington Hotel. We had a spacious twin room with a fantastic view over the bay. It was very clean and the en suite excellent. My husband has mobility problems and found the hotel easy to get around with no random steps anywhere. The hotel had arranged for a mobility scooter for him to use (rental £15 per day) and this was very helpful. The hotel is bright and well appointed. The food was good although I feel that that the charge for evening dinner at £19 each was a little steep. The staff were so obliging and nothing was too much trouble. Sebastian is an absolute star and ensured that we had everything we needed. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank pkeypetal
Reviewed September 5, 2017

For the money I paid I was expecting a lot more. I didnt realise for £70 for just me breakfast wasnt included either. I had arranged via email to check in at 2pm. Arrived 2pm to be told I couldnt and to come back at 3pm. I came back at 3pm and was told it would be 5 minutes, at 3:30pm I eventually got my key. I was hoping a couple of friends would be able to come in to have a drink before the Theatre Show we were there for, but the Hotel do not allow Electric Wheelchairs in the lifts and there are no slopes/ramps into the main body of the hotel either. Thought you had to be wheelchair friendly nowadays. So that plan was out the window too and one of my friends has CP and cannot walk.
My room was large and spacious which was nice and the bed was nice and comfortable. However when I pulled back the duvet there was a brown stain on the bottom sheet, like theyd tried to wash something out but it hadnt worked!!
Plugs were a nightmare. There was a socket near the bed but I had to pull the bed right out and fit the plug up slightly behind the headboard attached to the wall! Didnt have one near the mirror or near the table and chairs.
There was a kettle and tea tray....beware in room 221 if you are left handed as the kettle leaks and spurts at an angle, luckily I am right handed so each time it just sprayed over the tray instead of boiling water all over me. There were also lots of what looked like tea/coffee stains all down the wall under the Tea Tray.
There was also a large mould/water stain above the window a good 1ft wide at least.
The shower had a very small screen and however you tried to shower the floor got soaked which made it slippy, all style over substance Im afraid. Ive stayed in £25 B&Bs which have been better kept, maybe I just had a poor room.
Outside and in reception the hotel looks like it would warrant its £70 for one person but unfortunately does not live up to that appearance. I wasnt going to pay and extra £10 for breakfast and after reading some reviews, Im glad I didnt.
The rooms werent very soundproofed,at around 2am there was a very loud alarm (couldnt tell if it were the hotel or somewhere else) "There is an emergency please evacuate the building immediately as directed by staff" this went on for about 40 minutes, at one point i got up and packed my bag in case it WAS my hotel, but it appeared not so i closed the windows and they didnt block out the noise, so I was well awake again by then.

Its positioned in a nice place on the beach road and it has a free carpark which is premium in this area. Its a 2 minute walk from the Theatre Venue Cymru which is ideal. But overall, Ive paid less than half of this with breakfast included and had a better time and a better room. Disappointed.

(Im having problems uploading pictures but have them if required)

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Kensington_Hotel, Manager at The Kensington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2017

Thank you for taking time to leave us a review! Where shall I start from...You didn't arrange with us to check in at 2:00 pm, you just left a request, which is subject to availability at arrival. Because we were full house, yes, we were a little bit late with the room, and we kindly asked you to wait in the lobby where you have wi-fi and tea or coffee was offered. You've booked a classic double room with no meals included which was clearly stated everywhere. You can't blame us for the price. It was your choice to book a double room instead of a single. We do not allow wheelchairs in the lift because in case of fire the lifts won't work and this would be a hazard. You never mentioned about friends coming over, because we could've sort out things for you. All the rooms have been checked before checking in, we do change all the beddings after each guests and we don't wipe any stains off the linen. You didn't mention us about any of the stated problems during youyr stayting.and now there isn't much to do... In your room you had 3 spare sockets, not including the ones behind the bed, which are for the bedside table lights and for the phone, which you unplugged and left it like that. We didn't have any alarms on-going so it must have been something from the outside.
I do take credit fot the water stain, which has been sorted and for which I do apologize.
Kind Regards,