All reviews rail discoveries car park dancing holiday sea view dance group drawer space sea front toast evening meal walk in shower reception area reasonable size dining room tea coffee facilities twin room a family run hotel reception desk
Reviewed October 12, 2017

We stayed here as part of a Rail Discoveries tour, so it wasn't our choice. It's a traditional privately owned hotel so it has a few quirks, one of which was ordering your evening meal at breakfast time and sitting in the same place then as in the morning. If you are sensitive to excess salt or pepper being pre-added to every sauce possible tell the staff and they'll happily arrange to hide the condiments from the chef. Its easy to add salt and pepper to food in front of you but impossible to remove it. Meal timings are strictly 8am breakfast and 6.30pm dinner. The staff were always helpful and polite. The small bar had limited choice but given we were close to the town centre you could get a proper beer there if you really wanted it; we stuck to the only wines available by the glass. You can't charge drinks to your room (cash only) but that may be because the room was paid for by the travel company. At breakfast the coffee was terrible - pre-mixed and massively varying strength in thermal jugs you had to pour into stainless steel pots. In the end I resorted to having tea and nipping out to the nearest proper coffee shop later. Fruit choice at breakfast was limited to water melon & pineapple. In all other respects the food was absolutely fine.
Our bedroom, on the third floor, was reasonably well appointed and faced the sea but the only bedside sockets were occupied with lights and the telephone; there was nowhere to charge our phones (which also act as our alarm clocks) overnight. The TV had the customary wide range of Freeview channels. The window allowed a limited view of the promenade and unexpectedly there was a complete absence of seagull shouts however every morning we had a young gull visitor who tapped on the window until he learnt we would give him nothing but 'shoo!' noises.
The saga of the bed.
When we arrived we inspected the bed. The mattress was old, soft and wallowy. We discovered that part of the divan base had collapsed - evidently one of the small wheels had come off. We told the hotel front desk who promised to get it sorted by the handyman. Overnight we found the we had to sleep the other way up on the mattress (pillows at the foot end) for any comfort but all the same I never slept properly for fear of being sent off the bed as every movement by my partner was seemingly amplified on my side by the soft construction. The following day, on our return, we were told that the handyman hadn't visited yet but the receptionist had put a large book under the corner of the bed in lieu of the missing wheel. After that we heard no more mention of a handyman and the book remained in place for the rest of our stay. The mattress remained very difficult to sleep on and somehow we couldn't see it being replaced even if we had complained.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Roger R
Reviewed October 3, 2017 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel while I was attending a conference locally and was pleasantly surprised.

My first impressions were seeing the hotel from the car park entrance which was dark and had benches for anyone needing a cigarette. Once inside there is a lift or stairs taking you up to Reception.

The Reception area is lovely, nice and bright with comfortable leather armchairs overlooking the seafront and large sofas, a lovely place to relax while waiting for friends.

My room, sadly overlooked the car park but to be honest I had no plans to stay in my room other than to sleep. It was clean, and nicely furnished, tea and coffee facilities and a flat screen tv in the bedroom area and a lovely bathroom (well, shower room).

I did have a problem, there was a noise coming from the pump in the toilet but after reporting this to Reception it was resolved quickly.

The staff were really friendly and helpful, always smiling and happy to talk.

My friends and I, there were 16 of us, enjoyed our evening meal on the Friday which cost £19.99 for three courses but it was very tasty and we couldn’t fault the service. Breakfast was delicious and consists of a buffet table of cereals, fruit, fruit juice, tea and coffee followed by a menu of breakfast items made to order, I settled for a cooked breakfast and it was delicious.

My only problem was the electronic key card which didn’t always work first time. It got a bit frustrating after a while but I’m sure there was a knack.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Simon K
Reviewed October 2, 2017 via mobile

This is one of the nicest hotels that we have visited in recent times. The hotel is on the sea front and within reach of the sights and also shops and restaurants. The hotel is very comfortable and has easy access to the above floors with having a modern lift. The decor is pleasing and had a small but comfortable bar where the drink prices are reasonable. The staff are all very pleasant and helpful. Finally, the room is comfortable only disappointment is that there is not a lot furniture to place your clothes. However, the entertainment in the evening is first class with good professional entertainers and I have left this to my last comment, the food provided in the hotel is really very good and with a good menu. It's a very good hotel to Visit.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank clyde678154
Reviewed September 15, 2017

Several of our number commented, after a couple of days, joined with us in thinking that the hotel was not up to the standard of a three star hotel. It was difficult to pin point quite what was not right. The restaurant served good food and did so swiftly so food got to the ables still very hot and was well presented. The waiting staff worked hard to make the system operate. Overall there was a general feeling that there were not enough staff to get everything done. Certainly the bar was understaffed and we had to search for someone to come to slake our thirsts.When you got a drink you had to go to the front desk where the only functioning card machine was housed. The rooms were clean and well cared for. We were in rooms in the roof which gave us a good view of the sea where there was very little going on but we had a daily visit from a seagull. I think he was used to being fed at breakfast time. There was adequate parking, a lift and a bi, well furnished lounge. So what was it that was not right?
So what was it that somehow made us in our own minds reassess it as a good quality three star guest house. I would go there again now I know what to expect from a family run establishment.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank John F
Reviewed September 10, 2017 via mobile

Just returned from a week at the Kensington Hotel. We had a spacious twin room with a fantastic view over the bay. It was very clean and the en suite excellent. My husband has mobility problems and found the hotel easy to get around with no random steps anywhere. The hotel had arranged for a mobility scooter for him to use (rental £15 per day) and this was very helpful. The hotel is bright and well appointed. The food was good although I feel that that the charge for evening dinner at £19 each was a little steep. The staff were so obliging and nothing was too much trouble. Sebastian is an absolute star and ensured that we had everything we needed. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple