“Pretty spicey food”

Taj Mahal
Ranked #126 of 475 Restaurants in Ipswich
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are a restarant that have been serving high quality indian food for 50 years for the good people of Ipswich. We provide a service that we hope you will be happy with, our knowledge of food has only increased since we have opened. Hopefully we will see you at our restaurant. Thank you :)
Reviewed August 22, 2018

Decent food, similar to most other Indian restaurants, but this stood out as being a bit spicier than normal.

I started with an onion bhaji, I always like to have one at a restaurant that I have not been to before or for a while as a sort of standard to compare against other restaurant, there were two decently sized, with a nice crispy exterior and a moist interior. So they got a thumbs up from me on the onion bhaji front.

For main course I had the lamb pathia, this came with pilau rice. I like a pathia, generally it is just zingy enough to leave a pleasant tingle in the mouth. The Taj's pathia was a bit hotter than I am normally used to, it was good but very spicey and the jug of table water was much appreciated.

My wife's dansak was also a bit hotter than we normally expect, but again very good.

The only down points were that the popadoms were slightly on the stale side, we were the first evening customers so they may have been left over from the lunchtime trade, and a cola that we ordered was flat, but this was replaced without any fuss.

The front of house guy was also great, very friendly.

All in all a good restaurant, but be prepared for a spicy meal.

Reviewed July 21, 2018 via mobile

So I am in Ipswich and will try all curry houses which sells Biryanis.

This is my first place..

From ordering to collections was a smooth process, I managed to haggle extra chilli and extra potatoes for veg curry for 50p extra.

Restaurant is nice but needs refreshing, waiting area is nice and front of house is good.

I ordered Chicken tikka Biryani with veg curry on the side.

Portion is good size, spice is good, lacking salt & veg curry came as requested with extra potatoes.

Biryani was moist with plenty of chicken.

Only negative is they forgot the cutlery and tissues but the Biryani was excellent.

1  Thank Sultansha1
Reviewed May 7, 2018 via mobile

Our friend always orders from here & is always on about how good the food Is, so we took her advise & went, they staff were great & really looked after us, the tikka masala was so tasty & the chicken was to die for, thankyou we will be back

1  Thank happycouplewhodrink
Reviewed October 30, 2017

we ate at this restaurant two weeks ago. The service was friendly and the food was the best we have had in the Ipswich area..
We then ordered a take away last night using their online service. So easy to order.
The food was superb again
Can't fault it.
Would recommend trying this place to eat in or take away.
Many thanks

1  Thank Flyer963
Reviewed September 18, 2017

Working in the area I thought I would try the Taj Mahal tonight. Went for my usual favourite i.e. the mixed grill and a chicken Shashlik.

Although nicely cooked it lacked any real flavour. I compare the shashlik with one I had last year near Liverpool Street which was the best I have ever had.

Mixed grill, although was ok, lacked any real flavour. Something I think can be improved which would give you a most excellent all-round eating experience.

1  Thank Matt J