1,271 results
All reviews spa break spa facilities hunting lodge housing estate garden room steam room swimming pool leisure club the main hotel cream tea leisure centre lovely grounds a bit tired lick of paint evening meal breakfast was buffet style bar food
Reviewed January 2, 2017

Upside is the location is very close to Ipswich town centre and the spa is fabulous. Couldnt fault the staff and the facilities linked to the spa. Restaurant atmosphere is very formal and dark and oak panelled which is so in contrast to the actual rooms. Beds are very comfortable but the decor and bathroom facilities are still set in the 1980`s.This is the only downside to a really super weekend which - is that the rooms are in dire need of refurbishment.
We loved the spa staff - particularly the beauty therapist Tundy who made my sister's 40th birthday fell extra special with her attention to detail. Tundy is meticulous and thoughtful and she really made our weekend with her stories and the laughter!
The food in the restaurant is well presented and tasty too (we had a groupon deal with a meal included). Breakfast options were varied and really hot and fresh so couldnt fault that either. Dont bother with the cream tea - we had this and the scones were too dry and over cooked.
If you can overlook the rooms - you can have a very pleasant stay. Note there is a charge to use a spa bath robe of £5.00 per person which we thought rather strange for a spa hotel.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
MGM_Muthu_Hotels, General Manager at Muthu Belstead Brook Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent Spa Weekend at the Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel.

We are also happy to hear that the efforts from the staff are also getting appreciated.

We also want to update you that we have already started to upgrade the hotel facilities.

Many thanks again.

Reviewed January 2, 2017 via mobile

I had my wedding on the 29th December 2016. And the hotel was incredible. So organized and made my busy day run perfectly! Leading up to and on the day Vicki the events manager and her team were very supportive and wonderful at reliving the stress from me. The suit was perfect ! Clean and had everything we needed. All staff including cleaning staff were so friendly and helpful. I honestly can't fault this beautiful hotel and the amazing team that runs it so perfectly. Highly recommended!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
MGM_Muthu_Hotels, General Manager at Muthu Belstead Brook Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the feedback. We are delighted to hear this from you that you had a great time during your wedding.

We are happy to hear that the efforts from the team are also getting appreciated.

We wish you all the very best for a married life and a very happy and prosperous New Year.

Reviewed January 1, 2017

I have reviewed this hotel regularly over the past few years - it has always been one of my favourite places to stay. When I wrote after last twixmas I expressed my concerns that the new owners [Muthu Hotels] might try and change it too much, I am happy to say there are still real positives - the staff were consistently helpful and friendly and the food standards are still good.
The bedrooms have yet to be refurbished - they remain rather scruffy and dated but are generally comfortable - excellent mattress and lots of storage. We had a superior room - costs more but is far more spacious and has a door opening out onto a little patio with garden furniture and overlooks the brook. I think that is the quietest part of the hotel. Noise between rooms was minimal and the corridor is very well carpeted and soundproofed. No safe or fridge in the room or any little gestures of welcome like a bottle of water which would have been nice. Two radiators and also one light bulb were not working on our arrival and there was a shortage of hangers but this was quickly sorted out. Headboard was loose and rather banged against the wall and the shower, even when turned fully up on temperature, was far cooler than the water out of the basins. New large flat screen TV has been installed but the holes on the furniture where it was previously fixed just left!. We had a king sized bed but only a queen sized duvet - so you had to sleep towards the middle or risk getting uncovered. They would have given us a second duvet if needed.

The dining rooms are still charming and full of character with the improvement of some very comfortable new dining chairs. As I said the food remains good, and imaginative, with very good sized portions, but the actual service was much slower - it took a minimum of an hour and a half for a three course meal with noticeable long gaps between courses.

The main reception area has been blinged! Rather exotic - marble effect flooring, some new statues and very fancy furniture. Sadly the atmosphere would have been so much warmer if there had been at least an artificial fire in the fireplace, it used to feel a lot warmer psychologically but certainly some people I asked liked it and it does look flash - just not sure it is in keeping with an english hunting lodge!! throughout the building there are various lovely fireplaces and it would have been so nice if they had had been utilized.

There is a good amount of parking outside - could do with a few more lights at night and if you stay in the garden rooms you can park right outside.

The leisure centre remains as good as ever - new furniture there as well, very warm and bubbly jacuzzi, excellent steam room and spacious pool. A good place to chill out and indulge and go for some spa treatments.

So overall this hotel remains in my top 10 but not the top 3. I await to see how they refurbish the bedrooms.

Room Tip: Facing brook is far side of entrance and car park. Garden rooms are completely separate from main building.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank caroline b

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the detailed feedback. We are happy to know that we are moving in the right direction. We appreciate your feedback and would like to assure you that the issues mentioned will be seriously taken and we would work towards resolving them.

We will look forward to welcome you again soon.

Wishing you and your family a very happy and prosperous New Year.

Reviewed January 1, 2017

The room was extremely comfortable,with everything catered for.
The ambience of the hotel is generally comfortable with brown furniture.
The entrance is spectacular with a giant Christmas tree overflowing with decorations
I had stated when we booked that I am gluten free. And could they accommodate me. I am extremely pleased with the attention to detail that was given me. There wasn't any time I didn't have gluten free meals. From the high tea to breakfast with gluten free toast
Thank you for making my new year truly spectacular. All the staff were so helpful with nothing being to much trouble

Room Tip: Executive room was generous
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with the Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel.

We will look forward to welcome you in this new year.

Thank you again.

Reviewed December 30, 2016 via mobile

We came here between Christmas and New year, having found a good deal which consisted of a cream tea, treatment, full use of facilities and an overnight stay for a cheap price. We arrived and checked in, we were very impressed with the prompt and efficient service the staff offered. No one took our bags to the room but it was a busy time with several people checking in and we only had one bag between us so this was understandable. The cream tea was booked for four and at the reception she said we were also booked in for dinner. Although this wasn't included in the price of the stay, we were happy to keep this reservation because we still needed to eat (the cream tea wasn't very filling!). We ate in the bar instead of the restaurant, the restaurant only did a set two course meal. All staff were friendly and helpful. The following day we were also impressed with the efficiency of the beauty staff but would suggest that they don't talk during treatments to enable clients to relax further. I was especially impressed with Carly who had only joined the team three weeks ago but was very professional and helpful with the products she used. The pool and gym facilities were very good and had everything we needed. Perhaps the changing rooms could have had more private cubicles because these were taken up every time I needed them. Overall an enjoyable stay and would happily recommend.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
MGM_Muthu_Hotels, General Manager at Muthu Belstead Brook Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback. We really appreciate the feedback and the points mentioned will be looked at.

We will look forward to welcome you soon.

Wishing you and your family a very happy and prosperous New Year.