“Good honest pub grub”

Price range: US$13 - US$20
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I visited this relatively newly built pub early on a Friday evening and wasn't sure whether or not I'd be able to get a meal there without a booking.
This is most definitely more of a restaurant than a 'boozer' and so is very family friendly. There was a wide age range of customers from small children to retirees and it was already very busy.
I was delighted to discover that I just needed to grab a table with a menu stand on it and then place my order at the bar. It was a little off-putting to have to pay up-front before the meal arrived, but I guess that any complaints just have to be dealt with promptly.
Food arrived quite quickly and was of good quality (and quantity!) and at a fair price. It seems that many customers opt for the carvery and are happy to queue up for that - the plates piled high with food suggested that this might be good value for money too, but I preferred to choose from the menu.
I enjoyed a cheeky bacon and cheeseburger - naughty but nice! I had been eyeing up the famous dessert menu but was too full to attempt one of their mega confections - the display was particularly eye-catching, so I may try one on another visit.
Don't go here if you're after a quiet venue, scenic views or fine dining, but for straightforward pub grub it's absolutely fine and the staff were friendly and helpful when asked.

MermaidIpswich, Manager at Mermaid, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2013

Thanks for your recent review. I'm really pleased you enjoyed your burger.Next time leave room for desserts, you won't be disapointed

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We had lunch with family at the Mermaid last Tuesday and I was really impressed with the helpful and friendly service, the wide variety of dishes on the menu, and the relaxed atmosphere. The guy behind the bar was very accommodating as he set up our tab and explained how the ordering system worked. The 2 toddlers with us were kept entertained in the kid´s corner making our lives easier and our lunch more enjoyable! The main courses were good, but by far the highlight was the red velvet chocolate cheesecake that we shared for dessert. It was AMAZING! I would go back just for that! If I am in Ipswich again I will visit the Mermaid again without a doubt.

Thank you for your review, I certainly agree that the red velvet is the best. Lets hope you visit again soon

Reviewed 23 November 2013

We have been to the Mermaid three times for Sunday lunch, it has been so good that we have booked for Boxing Day lunch. Then staff are very friendly, the place is so comfortable and inviting.
We have always found the Carvery excellent. We actually live very near the other Marstons pub (The Raven) In Ipswich,but the food there is awful, we would never eat there again. Well done The Mermaid.

I'm really pleased that you have chosen to dine with us on Boxing Day and that you have enjoyed your previous visits. Look forward to seeing you soon

Reviewed 23 November 2013

i went here for a meal as i wanted to give it a chance after a disapointing meal last time. it really has changed but not for the better :( i had a lasagne and it came in a small dish not very deep with some lettace on side that was brown at the bottom. i ordered a side salad and this consited of some more brown lettace with few chopped spring onion 2 cherry tomatoes chopped in half and some horrible vinegry colslaw. my friend ordered a steak well done and was served a steak very red inside sent back to receive another one that was also red raw even worse. by this time we had nearly eaten our main and she was offered free deserts. which didnt really help when we wanted to enjoy a nice meal together. for the prices charged the food was not great and left you feeling hungry still,not what you expect when you spend over £40 on a meal. drinks very pricey and def wont be using here again it seems minimal food trying to make as much profit as possible!

I'm really sorry you haven't enjoyed your time at The Mermaid. We endeavor to give everyone the best service but on this occasion we didn't meet to your approval. I would be happy to discuss this further with you if you would be so kind to email me on mermaid.ipswich@marstons.co.uk

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Second time I have been to the mermaid since it opened, and both times were pretty good. The first visit back in the summer was fine but service was a little slow, however this time even that has improved. My food was perfectly cooked on both occasions to my liking and was pretty good value for what you pay. Shame that there are only one set of toilets that are positioned right next to the kids play area (bit noisy at certain times), but that's my only small gripe with this good place which is not very far from my place of work in suffolk retail park, which is handy!

MermaidIpswich, Manager at Mermaid, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

I'm really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit with us