All reviews beer delivery dance floors swipe card engagement party main bar large bathroom evening food an enjoyable stay comfy bed breakfast was excellent booked this hotel gemma boxing venue
Reviewed September 13, 2018

So I stayed here for two nights on a work trip. Some aspects of the stay were good - clean fairly-modern looking bathroom, ironing board, iron and hairdryer included with the room, nice little tray of teabags and snacks (small packet of digestives and shortbreads) offered. The staff were also relatively helpful and friendly.
However there were more downsides than upsides I'm afraid. For starters there was next to nothing Wi-Fi - 3 different networks you could connect to but none of the connections were particularly strong nor lasted for more than a 15 minutes. The only way you could get Wi-Fi is by going down to reception and sitting on one of the two chairs by the reception desk (which was inconvenient to say the least). What was more frustrating was the staff didn't seem to know how to fix this - when i asked two different staff members, they both had the same generic answer: "The Wi-Fi works in different areas so it depends where you are in the hotel..." and they would then hand me the same piece of paper with the networks and passwords.
Something else that was off putting was the room itself - paper-thin blinds which let in a ridiculous amount of light so its important to bring an eyemask like I thankfully did, or else you'll have little to no sleep. The noise was also terrible - it's not a great location for a hotel as there's a nightclub right outside, as well as being situated on a high street where there are constantly cars zooming up and down. The bathroom was basic and had three questionable liquids in the shower area, only one of which was labelled, therefore i had to guess which was shower gel or shampoo. The bed was soft as a marshmallow and had no spring left in the mattress, so i had to roll out of it every morning or else I'd sink down to the ground floor (the pillows were no better).
Breakfast was ok - porridge option was also not bad and came with raisins and nuts, but was also quite bland and made me feel a little sick. It took 20 minutes to be made which was quite frustrating as it's not the hardest dish in the world. I tried to order a sandwich as well and all the contents fell out on my plate so had clearly been made in a rush.
Overall, probably won't be staying here again. I'd rate it a 4/10.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
Amy E, Marketing Director at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2018

Hello and thank you for your feedback.

We appreciate your honest review and rest assured, all of your points will be taken on board and fed back to the team so that we are able to improve!

Apologies for any inconvenience caused during your stay, we hope to iron out the issues you have mentioned so that, in future, you may return for another stay at The Royal.

Reviewed August 5, 2018 via mobile

We booked this hotel initially as it was the only one capable of taking a booking for 5 rooms at a time. We were welcomed by very friendly and helpful staff, which continued throughout our stay. The manager really seems to have his house in order as all of the staff are excellent.
There is only one downside, which I really feel guilty about mentioning because it makes it sound negative and that is the noise from the live music downstairs.
In fairness you are warned about this before you book and it's your choice, it's not really that bad, but I could see that some people would really make a fuss if they were that way inclined.
We arrived about 10 minutes before the kitchen closed, but they stayed open to accommodate us for which we are all truly grateful.
There is a wide choice of breakfast items, all of which were excellent quality.
Would I stay again ? Definitely, but if you are a light sleeper maybe invest in some earplugs.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Amy E, Director of Sales at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2018

Thanks for your comments - much appreciated :) We hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 25, 2018 via mobile

Reception good rooms comfy but in hot weather awful. I did get reception to open and close windows and provide a fan overnite so the room cooled down breakfast was good Reception were very helpful and the staff in general provided a good service

Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
Amy E, Marketing Director at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2018

Hello Corinna and thank you for your review and feedback.

We appreciate your kind words and hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed July 15, 2018 via mobile

Rooms are basic and plain but functional. Could do with curtains as blinds let too much light in.
Comfortable bed. Bedside tablez and lamps. Wall mounted tv. Tea coffee etc.
Small hanging space. Iron & board. Hairdryer. Magnify mirror in bathroom. Decent toiletries.
Wondering why in 25c weather the heated towel rail was on??
No fan in room and no curtains equalled a very uncomfortable sleep. Also street noise and music didnt help.
Good location in town centre.
Parking is free but thats not clear at time of booking. We paid then reception told us we didnt need to.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple

Hello and thank you for your review!

We take on board all feedback and this will be passed on to the team as we are always striving to improve for our customers!

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed June 20, 2018

I have now caught my breath following the wedding of myself and James on 12th May 2018. We held the ceremony, the wedding breakfast and the evening reception at the Royal. We cannot praise the hotel enough. Nothing was too much trouble and the day was simply perfect. The hotel was just beautiful a huge thank you to everyone involved, especially Carrie

Room Tip: I had the honeymoon suite